TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree4Likes

Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

I've consulted with my wife - she thinks it will be a good idea and has warned my boss that he shouldn't try to oppose ...

  1. #1
    Really Bored oldboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,137
    Liked
    1003 times

    Default Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    I've consulted with my wife - she thinks it will be a good idea and has warned my boss that he shouldn't try to oppose it.

    BBC News - David Cameron 'warned he cannot stop pay rise for MPs'

    Seriously, have these people not been watching what's been happening in Turkey and Brazil?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Really Bored melons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,101
    Liked
    427 times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Parliament lives in it's own bubble of self important detachment, remember being appalled during the last recession when they awarded themselves a huge pay rise, and 'Independent pay review committee' my arse!

    Reckon all politicians should, like monks, take a vow of poverty before entering Westminster
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  4. #3
    Really Bored DodgetheRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Letchworth, Herts
    Posts
    2,054
    Liked
    289 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Give 'em a good payrise, sure. I have no problem with that but ban other employment while they're an MP and especially ban all current and former department ministers from joining any industry they were a minister for, for at least five years after leaving parliament.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    6,727
    Liked
    1207 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgetheRog View Post
    Give 'em a good payrise, sure. I have no problem with that but ban other employment while they're an MP and especially ban all current and former department ministers from joining any industry they were a minister for, for at least five years after leaving parliament.

    Or holding 20 mio of shares in companies that are affected by their ministerial decisions
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More DefTrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Roger Barlow's Tour of Europe
    Posts
    18,877
    Liked
    2484 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    I'm in two minds about this. On one hand taking a 15% payrise when everyone else is belt-tightening is a pisstake. On the other we need quality MPs and personally I don't think it's either any easy job or should offer lower pay than one could get for an equivalent role outside of Westminster.

    It's slightly more the former though - as an MP you are job-guaranteed over 4 to 5 years, you know the pay structure and it's not so bad, you should fecking well knuckle down and crack on. If you must then dial-in a yearly pay review with a top whack increase of a 1% or 2 above inflation. Whilst I've no doubt that MP pay has been falling behind in real tems over the last few years, now is not the time to readjust it.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  7. #6
    Should Get Out More BananaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ascot, Berkshire.
    Posts
    16,395
    Liked
    3191 times
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    I am not sure.

    Hope this helps.

    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  8. #7
    Ant
    Ant is offline
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Shire of Shiresshire
    Posts
    10,154
    Liked
    1434 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    A 15% pay rise, that's nice for them. Not so nice for us seeing as this 15% is coming from tax payers when public spending is tightened and overseas aid is increased.

    Will we see a 15% rise in effort to sort things out? Probably not.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    6,727
    Liked
    1207 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I'm in two minds about this. On one hand taking a 15% payrise when everyone else is belt-tightening is a pisstake. On the other we need quality MPs and personally I don't think it's either any easy job or should offer lower pay than one could get for an equivalent role outside of Westminster.

    It's slightly more the former though - as an MP you are job-guaranteed over 4 to 5 years, you know the pay structure and it's not so bad, you should fecking well knuckle down and crack on. If you must then dial-in a yearly pay review with a top whack increase of a 1% or 2 above inflation. Whilst I've no doubt that MP pay has been falling behind in real tems over the last few years, now is not the time to readjust it.
    The timing is crass . MPs have hardly shown themselves to be the upholders of standards - esp when it comes to expenses. But I believe Bercow and the Trollop have also had there official gaff re-done at considerable cost to the tax payer ...
    If we all voted ourselves pay rises in the same why then the free market economy dictates we will go heads up.
    I think MPs should get better paid - but with serious restrictions on employing family or outside work. Outside interests means unions as well as commerce. However it should be time so that there as been a leap forward in Britian PLCs profit and loss sheet. They are, after all, members of the board.
    Last edited by the phantom pieman; 01-07-13 at 10:05.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  10. #9
    a little bit Nurse Gladys Fallen Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wanting Loki's babies
    Posts
    21,116
    Liked
    3939 times
    Blog Entries
    83

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    I got a pay rise today.

    Not a 15% one though.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  11. #10
    Really Bored DodgetheRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Letchworth, Herts
    Posts
    2,054
    Liked
    289 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Or holding 20 mio of shares in companies that are affected by their ministerial decisions
    Not exactly relevant to the pay rise question but interesting nevertheless

    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  12. #11
    Really Bored oldboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,137
    Liked
    1003 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgetheRog View Post
    Give 'em a good payrise, sure. I have no problem with that but ban other employment while they're an MP and especially ban all current and former department ministers from joining any industry they were a minister for, for at least five years after leaving parliament.
    I don't agree. Everyone is being asked to tighten their belts - many people, like me have taken nominal or real cuts in pay since 2008. MPs should be leading and setting an example, showing empathy.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  13. #12
    Really Bored DodgetheRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Letchworth, Herts
    Posts
    2,054
    Liked
    289 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
    I don't agree. Everyone is being asked to tighten their belts - many people, like me have taken nominal or real cuts in pay since 2008. MPs should be leading and setting an example, showing empathy.
    I guess I DO agree with you in that respect. I think the timing is wrong but I still think that they should get more as long as there are other work/investment limitations both during and after tenure. A politician ought to be in the job because they want to serve.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  14. #13
    A Bit Bored mick9879's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hythe,Hampshire
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Just taken a 6000pa pay cut.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  15. #14
    Should Get Out More chillitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gloucestercestershire
    Posts
    6,940
    Liked
    1740 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Isn't a 15% rise going to push em up a tax bracket? (I've not been paid since October )
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  16. #15
    Really Bored oldboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,137
    Liked
    1003 times

    Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

    Quote Originally Posted by DodgetheRog View Post
    I guess I DO agree with you in that respect. I think the timing is wrong but I still think that they should get more as long as there are other work/investment limitations both during and after tenure. A politician ought to be in the job because they want to serve.
    If they (collectively) get the UK economy growing with improvements in real incomes (not just property prices) and in standards of living , at a rate that is faster than the rest of the World then I'll be happy to agree an inflation-linked payrise.

    While we're at it, shouldn't we rationalise the Houses of Parliament, surely there's only so many jeering knobheads required in any one debate.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum