TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

are Stanley tools any good?

as per the title really. they've got a cheapo socket set on amazon atm, and i need one....

  1. #1
    Really Bored ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ooh aar wiltshire
    Posts
    2,499
    Liked
    2 times

    Default are Stanley tools any good?

    as per the title really.

    they've got a cheapo socket set on amazon atm, and i need one.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Really Bored str0nach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Bucks
    Posts
    2,460
    Liked
    274 times
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    I dunno if they're workshop good but I've got stanley tools that are 20yrs+ old and still tip top.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  4. #3
    Really Bored ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ooh aar wiltshire
    Posts
    2,499
    Liked
    2 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    hmm. weirdly machinemart do a virtually identical set for similar money, sans Stanley logo.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  5. #4
    Really Bored Trashcanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Out of the frying pan....
    Posts
    2,533
    Liked
    129 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    They are suitable for general and DIY use,the sort of set you'd buy from B&Q. Good enough for most basic jobs but not really up to heavy or busy workshop use.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  6. #5
    Really Bored trogggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Liked
    1 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by str0nach View Post
    I dunno if they're workshop good but I've got stanley tools that are 20yrs+ old and still tip top.
    Same here. I've also got newer stanley stuff that's not nearly as good. Made in China now AFAIK. They make sell some shite screwdrivers, dunno what the sockets are like though.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  7. #6
    Should Get Out More Twigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    7,226
    Liked
    106 times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    I've got a set of Stanley screwdrivers.

    They seem very soft...maybe with screwdrivers that's not so bad as they bend before the slots get cheesed.....
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  8. #7
    Should Get Out More Kebab The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Live and work in the midlands
    Posts
    5,513
    Liked
    472 times
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by trogggy View Post
    Same here. I've also got newer stanley stuff that's not nearly as good. Made in China now AFAIK. They make sell some shite screwdrivers, dunno what the sockets are like though.

    Yep. My impression is that old stanley is quite good, new stanley is the same as everything else available at the same price.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More go_slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    is not fixed no more.
    Posts
    16,609
    Liked
    5844 times
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kebab The Cat View Post
    Yep. My impression is that old stanley is quite good, new stanley is the same as everything else available at the same price.
    Ditto, as mentioned probably okay for DIY/light use.

    <edit>I bought the following from machine mart a couple years ago, quite impressed with them for the price plus you get the lifetime guarentee.

    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ocket-se/path/
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  10. #9
    Really Bored ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ooh aar wiltshire
    Posts
    2,499
    Liked
    2 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    Ditto, as mentioned probably okay for DIY/light use.

    <edit>I bought the following from machine mart a couple years ago, quite impressed with them for the price plus you get the lifetime guarentee.

    PRO127 19-Pce 3/8" Drive Socket Set - Socket Sets, Sockets & Tool Sets - Machine Mart
    gonna get one of these, there is a machinemart 200 yards down the road from work and i don't like waiting for stuff

    if it's shit, i'll be coming for you
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  11. #10
    Should Get Out More go_slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    is not fixed no more.
    Posts
    16,609
    Liked
    5844 times
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    gonna get one of these, there is a machinemart 200 yards down the road from work and i don't like waiting for stuff

    if it's shit, i'll be coming for you
    S'okay, I got one of them as well, and the 1/4 inch, for that price they are very good, as I say I was impressed with them. It was the VAT free day and I got carried away
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  12. #11
    Should Get Out More ZRX61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,955
    Liked
    1000 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    I have a rack of 5 or 6 Stanley sockets someone gave me, they're made of cheese..
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  13. #12
    Get More Out. demographic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The largest and happiest city in England...
    Posts
    19,103
    Liked
    2429 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    To answer the specific question, I don't know about their sockets but some of their stuff is very good, their old american Bedrock planes are top quality, I have one of their Fat Max six foot levels which is lasting rather better than the six foot Stabilla levels (three of them so far) that I have owned.

    Their wood chisels with the metal striker button on the end are pretty good but theres also some tat they make, the Handyman range of handplanes isn't worth a carrot, some of their tape measures are rather poor which is a pain as its often the only choice in a building suppliers, I went through three in a row that wouldn't go back into the body fully after owning them for about a month then changed the type I buy (still Stanley though) and the one I have now is doing well.

    Some are good, some are tat.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  14. #13
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    29,860
    Liked
    4664 times

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Stanley, Draper former decent makes for home use but sadly no more.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  15. #14
    Should Get Out More protoborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Doing an Andrew Mitchell
    Posts
    19,287
    Liked
    1307 times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanman View Post
    They are suitable for general and DIY use,the sort of set you'd buy from B&Q. Good enough for most basic jobs but not really up to heavy or busy workshop use.


    From experience thats totally contestable. Years ago my father was service manager of a large chemical firm with about 400 to 500 vehicles from landrovers to locomotives largely maintained with Stanley tools. Likewise I worked for the civil service of the Rhodesian Government and the local government vehicles workshop had loads of Stanley tools. Stanley also make (or maybe made) tools for the aerospace industry.

    Unfortunately it is the biggest victim of fakes in the tools business, so I'd guess the cheese ones are the fakes
    Last edited by protoborg; 16-12-09 at 04:57.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  16. #15
    Really Bored str0nach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Bucks
    Posts
    2,460
    Liked
    274 times
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: are Stanley tools any good?

    Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post


    From experience thats totally contestable. Years ago my father was service manager of a large chemical firm with about 400 to 500 vehicles from landrovers to locomotives largely maintained with Stanley tools. Likewise I worked for the civil service of the Rhodesian Government and the local government vehicles workshop had loads of Stanley tools. Stanley also make (or maybe made) tools for the aerospace industry.

    Unfortunately it is the biggest victim of fakes in the tools business, so I'd guess the cheese ones are the fakes
    Nice bump
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum