TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

I should probably get into this but know little about it. Anyone run me through the basics please?...

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    29,695
    Liked
    4652 times

    Default Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    I should probably get into this but know little about it. Anyone run me through the basics please?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    10,705
    Liked
    2020 times
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default Re: Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    If you have android as a mobile phone I'd recommend downloading "Torque" Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle the addition of a cheap bluetooth reader gives you access to fault codes, clearing faults and a whole heap of other info which can be displayed on the fly.



    All I can give you, not had cause to play with any other types.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  4. #3
    Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    5,169
    Liked
    714 times

    Default Re: Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    If it's for cars generally I've had great results with Torque Pro on android with a bluetooth adapter.

    If it is for the Fiesta, get F-Super Ford F SUPER diagnostic Interface Scanner SCAN TOOL USB Reader OBD Focus Mondeo | eBay
    It can do all sorts including e.g. recoding injectors.

    I'd still get Torque as well though.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,208
    Liked
    744 times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    I should probably get into this but know little about it. Anyone run me through the basics please?
    Surely a lot of it will be specific to each car? There are generic hand held code readers, but some cars are capeable of so much more if you have the right software and cables.

    I have a USB cable to either OBDII port of the BMW round OBD service port. This came for about 35 from Ebay with all the software on 3 X DVD's that the BMW dealers get plus a copy of their BMW TIS dealer service software. The setup took a about 6 hours in total, but now there's nothing I can't do to our cars that a dealer can do, including programing the keys.

    I suppose it depends what you want to do with it, but have a look on Ebay for cheapie cables and software "for evaluation purposes"
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More Taipan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boerthal's hill
    Posts
    29,695
    Liked
    4652 times

    Default Re: Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    If you have android as a mobile phone I'd recommend downloading "Torque" Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle the addition of a cheap bluetooth reader gives you access to fault codes, clearing faults and a whole heap of other info which can be displayed on the fly.



    All I can give you, not had cause to play with any other types.
    Not got android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    If it's for cars generally I've had great results with Torque Pro on android with a bluetooth adapter.

    If it is for the Fiesta, get F-Super Ford F SUPER diagnostic Interface Scanner SCAN TOOL USB Reader OBD Focus Mondeo | eBay
    It can do all sorts including e.g. recoding injectors.

    I'd still get Torque as well though.
    Hmm.Looking at that it has the PCM option. I wonder if I could adjust the cold start drivability as mentioned in the other thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by Back-Marcus View Post
    Surely a lot of it will be specific to each car? There are generic hand held code readers, but some cars are capeable of so much more if you have the right software and cables.

    I have a USB cable to either OBDII port of the BMW round OBD service port. This came for about 35 from Ebay with all the software on 3 X DVD's that the BMW dealers get plus a copy of their BMW TIS dealer service software. The setup took a about 6 hours in total, but now there's nothing I can't do to our cars that a dealer can do, including programing the keys.

    I suppose it depends what you want to do with it, but have a look on Ebay for cheapie cables and software "for evaluation purposes"
    I guess thats what I'm trying to find out, if there is one reader that fits all diagnostic sockets and one generic software. Looks like there isnt, but i suppose I dont change cars/marques very often so a new one every now and then wont be the end of the world.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  7. #6
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Robin Hood's doghouse.
    Posts
    19,187
    Liked
    1876 times
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: Tell me about OBD software, leads, set up and operation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Hmm.Looking at that it has the PCM option. I wonder if I could adjust the cold start drivability as mentioned in the other thread?
    I'd have expected that to be FOC procedure seeing as it's an update addressing a known issue. Main Dealer job for once.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Go Back to Forum My Forum