TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Italy Austria

Liked 22 in 18 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Italy Austria

Drive Taking the van. Went through on the bike back in the mid 90's and never bought a vignette. Took my chance and got away with it but technology has moved on a tad. Ill sit down with Google and my sat nav to leave out toll and motorways and see what comes up.
    Sure, and they'll be looking out for foreigners in suspicious white vans

I did it in a van: a full day from the French coast to the Alps stage. Nice drive. You could make your day up [timewise] there, and take the first three of your days at a more leisurely pace, taking more in. I know a wild-camp site just after that Alps stage, which is where you'd need to be on the 3rd night, up just beneath the southern end of the Jura, high in some vineyards with spectacular views. Its legal & free. The simple rule is its respected. Even camp fires are allowed. This would also give you much more time to navigate through the mountain stages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tenbears; 06-01-17 at 03:40.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by tenbears:

Liked 22 in 18 posts
    Blog Entries

... I know a wild-camp site just after that Alps stage, which is where you'd need to be on the 3rd night, up just beneath the southern end of the Jura, high in some vineyards with spectacular views. Its legal & free. The simple rule is its respected. Even camp fires are allowed. This would also give you much more time to navigate through the mountain stages.
    A few pictures. If you want the locality I'll PM it over.

Liked 16 in 15 posts

@tenbears
    I'd be interested in the address of the campsite.

As an avid tourer and somebody who does it professionally I can only advise against a predetermined route. My motto operandi is: wake up, get some nosh, check the weather, try to focus on the street map, identify cool passes (if one doesn't know them yet), see where the day's journey could end, check booking.com, write a list for the tank rucksack and off I go by ten at the latest.

The advantages of the above method? a) avoid bad weather b) ride where you fancy and see stuff others don't c) more of an adventure feel

My two cents' worth

Oh, and haven FUN!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum