TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Exhaust build

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Default DIY Exhaust build

I want to paint some headers and link pipe black. Can it be done without it looking shite and falling off within months? Can it be done decently without costing a fortune? I've acquired a 2nd hand exhaust for the MT09 which I'll be chopping the headers off and welding a link pipe to. They need a clean up but will never look new so I'm toying with the idea of making them black. Of course the best option would be to have them thermally sprayed with a ceramic coating but I'm not willing to spend much on this little project.
    Last edited by Derek Badger; 07-12-16 at 09:21.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 793 in 494 posts

Default Re: Painting exhaust pipes

scrub them clean with wet N dry, ideally get all the old chrome off, degrease thoroughly with carb cleaner and meths (after hot soapy water and a hairdryer.) I prefer the PJ1 high temp paints, spray in a warm room, when dry start at the header end with a hot air paint stripper and work back down the pipe. They should really be done in an oven for best curing, but the hot air gun is better than just leaving them to dry.

4. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

Liked 668 in 330 posts
    Blog Entries

You could do it your self and use the engines heat to cure the paint but ideally you want to take it to a shop to have it cured in a oven.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Cheers all. I'll look into the HTP. I've cut the headers off just after the lambda sensor with a slitting disk on the angle grinder then cleaned things up with a dremmel. A few more questions if I may...

I've done some reading and it would appear I'm okay to leave the fuel map alone as the standard headers are being used, the actual silencer will only make a negligible difference to flow of exhaust gases. However I'm unsure about what affect changing the length of the system will have. The standard exhaust is a bit of a labyrinth inside so is it worth using an s-bend link pipe like some of the after-market full systems have?

End can mounting point? Rear footrest I guess, but should I also use one of the standard points in addition to this?

Liked 793 in 494 posts

I doubt the length after the collector will make much difference given the size, but I could be wrong. I'll try and remember to have a look later. Be carefull about bolting the system up, the pipe needs to be able to expand and grow (lengthwise) relatively unrestricted.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I doubt the length after the collector will make much difference given the size, but I could be wrong. I'll try and remember to have a look later. Be carefull about bolting the system up, the pipe needs to be able to expand and grow (lengthwise) relatively unrestricted.
    Cheers Pete. End can will be slip on with springs.

9. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 459 in 251 posts
    Blog Entries

http://www.zircotec.com/products-ser...s/motorcycles/ no idea on costs, but it's supposed to be rather good.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    http://www.zircotec.com/products-ser...s/motorcycles/ no idea on costs, but it's supposed to be rather good.
    Nice one, cheers. But like I said - it is the best option, but out of my price range for this application. Black Widow produce budget replacements and I would have happily spend 300-350 for a full system from them but they are still developing the one for my model. In the mean time I've got time on my hands to knock something up myself for a fraction of the cost. If it turns out to be a stunning I might consider getting it coated. But then again I might stick with factory and spend the pennies on tyres and petrol. I guess nobody really needs anything but the stock exhaust (unless it's to replace a damaged one, or reducing weight for racing etc.) as they work fine.

I used to work for BOC's research arm in the 90s and they were developing plasma spraying for ceramic coatings. It's pretty cool stuff indeed.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Right then. Turns out the OEM exhaust is stainless, but must be 409 grade (rather than 304) as it's got a reasonable amount corrosion on it. The good news is that it comes off nicely with a scotchbrite pad and I found a large can of stainless cleaner in B&Q yesterday so I'll tidy them up rather than paint them.

I've also snaffled a Carbon Can Co. stubby and link pipe for under 40 that I'm sure I can mate to the headers easily enough.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Standard

I'm looking to make something along the line of these

Last edited by Derek Badger; 07-12-16 at 10:07.

14. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:

Liked 621 in 381 posts

If the exhaust is low grade stainless, maybe good to paint it anyway, stop it going manky? That said there will be less heat in it with an open pipe so may not go as brown as quickly.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    If the exhaust is low grade stainless, maybe good to paint it anyway, stop it going manky? That said there will be less heat in it with an open pipe so may not go as brown as quickly.
    I think it's just not been looked after. The one on my bike is nice and shiny.

Liked 2,067 in 1,501 posts

That first picture of the orange bike with the pipe pretty much open, that is nice. Curious and most likely talking shit but see that lambda sensor. Would that not last longer/give less trouble on an open pipe as the gas is flowing out a lot faster or not much difference?

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    That first picture of the orange bike with the pipe pretty much open, that is nice. Curious and most likely talking shit but see that lambda sensor. Would that not last longer/give less trouble on an open pipe as the gas is flowing out a lot faster or not much difference?
    I'd bet gas flow makes fuck all difference, but if the pipe fits well and isn't too loud I'll be getting the ECU remapped when funds allow anyway.

Liked 1,017 in 439 posts

I've had zero time recently to progress anything, yesterday the wife took all three kids out and I had a change to stick the old headers on (still rusty) and work out the angle for the end can, fabricate a bracket template and start looking at where to cut the link pipe for welding.

20. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Derek Badger:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum