TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Liked 1,432 in 956 posts

Default Re: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Well, it would have been based on whatever training was current 35 years ago so probably RAC/ACU!

But no arguments from me about insight - those who experienced my 'skills' training may recall that even something as 'simple' as figure of 8 was oriented to on-road riding, both benefits and pitfalls.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,432 in 956 posts

Also, the original Hendon safety improvement should be put in context of the time: few people would have sat in a motor car, let alone drive one under emergency conditions. Plus, what level of training and testing was commonly available?

Wiki 'Smeed' for casualty rates

Should Get Out More
    Liked 486 in 284 posts

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Some big questions there! One wonders how good are fatality rates as a proxy for overall safety? Clearly they are important.
    Well, if you prevent people killing themselves or others, that's a big step forward towards improved safety. The alternative is to have some kind of equivalence... one dead body is worth ten life-changing injuries or something.

From a practical, records-keeping, point of view, there isn't the kind of paper trail that's is available now which goes back to the earliest days for anything other than fatalities.

Also, whether there is evidence that advanced training or passing an advanced test improves safety for drivers? and if so, whether there is recent evidence (say, post-1990) or only older evidence?

IAM and RoSPA et al.'s silence is deafening. IAM do not seem to attribute the -38% accident rate claim for fleet programmes on their website front page. The RoSPA website finds space for a 10% drop in fuel consumption at BT after their training, but make no comment on accident stats. Either they have not thought about checking the accident rates, or they have decided the results are not interesting enough to talk about it. That is discouraging.

Questions for RoSPA: 'What does the evidence tell us would save more lives: putting all drivers through a RoSPA first aid training, or putting all drivers through a RoSPA advanced driver training of equivalent duration and frequency? is the answer the same for motorcyclists?'
    Part of the problem is designing proper trials to determine what does and doesn't work. A significant chunk of what's been claimed for post-test training has always been anecdotal ("I believe I'm a better rider/driver after training") rather than anything with evidential value. Another source which has been used to support post-test training has been insurance discounts but given the commercial nature of the business I'd suggest that's far from meaningful.

I'd also be interested to know exactly what kind of accidents are prevented. There are some purely technical tasks (off the top of my head - parking) which might be improved by teaching a drill, so if you're counting bent bumpers and shattered light clusters, then it might be possible to get some fairly dramatic drops in the headline 'accident' rate.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 486 in 284 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Well, it would have been based on whatever training was current 35 years ago so probably RAC/ACU!

But no arguments from me about insight - those who experienced my 'skills' training may recall that even something as 'simple' as figure of 8 was oriented to on-road riding, both benefits and pitfalls.
    When people were bitching about the Fig 8 on CBT and how it was 'pointless', I asked them to imagine which skills they were learning might get them around a mini-roundabout, or a tight hairpin bend in the mountains.

Liked 231 in 161 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    When people were bitching about the Fig 8 on CBT and how it was 'pointless', I asked them to imagine which skills they were learning might get them around a mini-roundabout, or a tight hairpin bend in the mountains.
    Thanks for elaborating - I was wondering

Liked 1,432 in 956 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    Thanks for elaborating - I was wondering
    As I've said elsewhere, uk training is great at high-speed 'Roadcraft' cornering and ok at low-speed wobbly cone-negotiation stuff - but absolutely rubbish at the feet-up mid-point stuff. Particularly with big heavy bikes you can't afford to be riding without suitable skills to cope with the situations Spin gives as examples.

Plus, these situations, and so the training for them, must include the strategies and skills to cope if it goes Pete Tong

Really Bored
    Liked 180 in 114 posts

Back to the video. Am I the only one here to have noticed what is clearly the most road safety orientated factor? The guy on the touchline receiving the pass nearly didn't collect it because he was on a mobile phone

9. The following user liked this post made by Scootabout:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum