TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: VW Transporter T4 Syncro

Deleted on Request

Question VW Transporter T4 Syncro

Anyone owned one of these?

I know the T4 Transporters are good wee vans, but not sure about the Syncro (4wd) version. Does it use a lot more juice than the regular 2wd? Anything else I should know about it?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 25 in 17 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VW Transporter T4 Syncro

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Anyone owned one of these?

I know the T4 Transporters are good wee vans, but not sure about the Syncro (4wd) version. Does it use a lot more juice than the regular 2wd? Anything else I should know about it?

I think it's just got batted into the really high VED. It's a fair bit heavier than standard & as always any off road comes down to clearance & the T4 hasn't got a lot. Stick with a 102BHP 2.5Tdi standard-or uprate it top 155 for about 600ish.

Have a look through all this:

VWT4 Forum

HTH

Deleted on Request

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I think it's just got batted into the really high VED. It's a fair bit heavier than standard & as always any off road comes down to clearance & the T4 hasn't got a lot. Stick with a 102BHP 2.5Tdi standard-or uprate it top 155 for about 600ish.

Have a look through all this:

VWT4 Forum

HTH
    Not if it's pre-2001. And the one I'm looking at is a 1998 model.

I wouldn't be concerned about 4wd performance, not planning to take it off road. But it's a lovely clean, low mileage example, on a good deal, so wondered if I should reject it because it's the Syncro.

Will have a look through that forum link, thanks

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    wondered if I should reject it because it's the Syncro.
    On older Synchros the front diff used to go and it was to replace so simply taking out the front driveshafts masked the problem nicely. Dunno if the T4 is the same but make sure everything fitted works properly

Deleted on Request

Quote Originally Posted by choc-ice View Post
    On older Synchros the front diff used to go and it was to replace so simply taking out the front driveshafts masked the problem nicely. Dunno if the T4 is the same but make sure everything fitted works properly
    Will check, cheers

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

A mate has one for a mobile workshop for plant fitting, it goes like stink and out handles a hell of a lot of cars. It constantly runs at about 20kg under it's max weight and there hasn't been a sniff of any mechanical problems.

Not easy of juice though.

Go Back to Forum My Forum