TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed on stilts

Liked 7 in 4 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Shed on stilts

I'm after suggestions on supports for another shed/summerhouse of base area 4x4m.

I've got a lot of old tat I'd rather not store inside. Underneath seems a sensible place plus the local rats love to nest undisturbed under 'normal' sheds.

A gap of 50cm to 75cm should do it.

I was thinking there must be something available low cost I can just sit it on without resorting to brickwork and the like...............short lengths of telegraph pole, barrels,casks that sort of thing. The 9 paving slabs and bricks I have at the momemt are too low and wobbly.

Over to you clever chaps.

Ta in advance.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Shed on stilts

Cast some concrete in buckets or summat similar?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4 in 3 posts

Use lengths of 4x2" timber. 4" is about 100mm - 10cm. Or 3x2" if you prefer to get a 75mm gap.

You can lay them out like joists in your house, screw them etc and put your shed on top. You could even get 'treated' if you want them to last few extra years and resist the damp.

Pretty cheap too, overall. (Go to a wood yard, not Homebase)

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 154 in 92 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I'm after suggestions on supports for another shed/summerhouse of base area 4x4m.

I've got a lot of old tat I'd rather not store inside. Underneath seems a sensible place plus the local rats love to nest undisturbed under 'normal' sheds.

A gap of 50cm to 75cm should do it.

I was thinking there must be something available low cost I can just sit it on without resorting to brickwork and the like...............short lengths of telegraph pole, barrels,casks that sort of thing. The 9 paving slabs and bricks I have at the momemt are too low and wobbly.

Over to you clever chaps.

Ta in advance.
    All decking is, is a raised level so any decking suppliers will have everything you need

Well apart from the shed bit.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
    Use lengths of 4x2" timber. 4" is about 100mm - 10cm. Or 3x2" if you prefer to get a 75mm gap.
    He'd need about 10 pieces stacked together.

Liked 2 in 2 posts

You're in Kent so that means one thing.....

Go find yourself someone who cuts chestnut coppice for post and rail fencing and get some nice chunky 5ft posts. 3ft in the ground, 2ft out. Peel the bark off and char the posts lightly in a fire if you want them to last even longer.

Shouldn't add up to very much and much more pleasant than oozy old telegraph poles.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 41 in 18 posts

Quote Originally Posted by trogggy View Post
    Cast some concrete in buckets or summat similar?
    That was what had crossed my mind as well. Then bridge them with concrete lintels.

Liked 7 in 4 posts
    Blog Entries

Cheers everyone. Keep 'em coming

I like the chestnut post idea Herriwullie, I'll investigate that.

I was also thinking along the lines of concrete, using old plastic drainage pipe to cast columns in. Not sure if it would be strong enough without rebar plus it's messy and time consuming. I do have 5 bags of postcrete kicking about that needs using though.
    Someone may make these columns already I'll have a look locally but don't fancy handling such a heavy item.

Concrete lintels would be a bit pricey wouldn't they ?

Being a tightarse I'm hoping to be able to use something I have lying around, on that basis ...........My best effort so far shown below. In addition I would have 2x4s running left to right (in 2nd pic) as well as back to front and a inner trio of blocks.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 41 in 18 posts

You must have some bloody big rats in your neck of the woods!

Liked 7 in 4 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    You must have some bloody big rats in your neck of the woods!
    They can dig bloody big nest chambers, they got under my other shed and some of the flag stones started sinking, almost lost our lab/dalmation down the hole when I lifted them ginormous great nest chamber I had tyo fill in.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 100 in 51 posts
    Blog Entries

What about cementing two 6" blocks on end, in a 'L' shape to a paving slab laid on the ground? You could do an 'L' at each corner and singles half way between and in the centre.

Like you've done in the pic but more permanent.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Railway sleepers

Deleted on Request

Buy a job lot of axle stands?

Liked 434 in 258 posts
    Blog Entries

Get yourself to a reclaim yard and get some decent sized timbers. Dig holes, drop them in and concrete into place. Or use them as stilts.

My reclaim yard does 4x4 for 80p a foot, even if you use 4 foot for each leg so there was a decent amount in the ground, 6 legs, thats less then 20. I dont you want to keep the cost down but this would make it sturdy as a sturdy thing.

To minimise the amount of concrete either dig the holes tight on the post or use sleeves like that corrigated pipe under the base in the 2nd picture.

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 154 in 92 posts

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    Railway sleepers
    Cleaned up an old railway sleeper a few weeks ago for use as a beam and by the looks of it it was made of Mahogany

Was quite surprised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum