TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to fill out appraisal forms?

Liked 26 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Why is it so hard to fill out appraisal forms?

It's that time of year again, where we have to doff our caps to The Man and bare our souls in front of our superiors in order to gain favour with the mythical "Career Development Fairy". I've literally racked by brain to try and think of something new but it just same old same old, and it's just not British to big yourself up, not to mention rather uncomfortable.

Seems odd that it's infinitely easier to write good/bad stuff about other people, yet when it comes to bigging ones self up, it just feels wrong wrong wrong. IME, if something feels that wrong then it needs looking at and annihilating from outer space. Ok, if you're in a high end job with new and exciting challenges coming up daily, then fair enough, but how much bull can you muster to fill 2 pages about doing some plebby office job that really doesn't change from day to day?

And breathe.

And the Blog Gestapo can bugger off as well.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 43 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is it so hard to fill out appraisal forms?

If you've done the Same Old Shit this year as the Same Old Shit you did last year, get last years report and change the wording.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

I've found that nominating yourself for career development courses that you know won't actually go ahead works.

"Right Tufty, you agreed to go on these courses: Managing Change as a Change Manager; Celebrating Change as a Change Manager; Embracing Change as a Change Manager."

"Yup."

"Unfortunately, due to budgetary constraints all of those courses have been cancelled.

""

Not Much To Do
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I had to fill in the forms, but the interview keeps getting postponed. Dunno if we'll ever bother, as I've already had the letter telling me what my new salary is, so it seems a bit pointless.

I also hate the so-called 360-degree thing and having to fill in forms about colleagues.

Liked 35 in 15 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
    I've found that nominating yourself for career development courses that you know won't actually go ahead works.

"Right Tufty, you agreed to go on these courses: Managing Change as a Change Manager; Celebrating Change as a Change Manager; Embracing Change as a Change Manager."

"Yup."

"Unfortunately, due to budgetary constraints all of those courses have been cancelled.

""

Next year ask them to send you on the Budgetting for change course

Liked 192 in 103 posts

Appraisals are something I genuinely hate. If I had any grievances they'd know about them and vice-versa. This is such a complete waste of time for Staff at my level.

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

I find them difficult to fill in for two reasons: firstly, because I feel the job I do is utterly pointless so nothing to report there, and secondly, even when I do work hard it doesn't make a damned bit of difference and I would get nothing out of it. Not exactly motivating!

Liked 25 in 18 posts

never done one in my life - what sort of questions do they ask?

Liked: 1/1

This year we have suffered the mental indignity of having to wade through an on-line course on how to fill out the on-line appraisal form. I reckon if you have to go on a course to fill in a form, the form is not designed properly. The course took about half an hour - it was so slow!

Also hate the 360 deg things and the SOPs you have to read that are nothing to do with your job & that sneakily ask you questions at the end to see if you've been paying attention.

Liked 25 in 18 posts

For self appraisals why would anyone answer anything but "excellent" to any question about themselves? If they know better then they can fill the form in themselves, surely.

Liked 56 in 39 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    It's that time of year again, where we have to doff our caps to The Man and bare our souls in front of our superiors in order to gain favour with the mythical "Career Development Fairy". I've literally racked by brain to try and think of something new but it just same old same old, and it's just not British to big yourself up, not to mention rather uncomfortable.
    Doesn't have anything to do with Britishness. Just normal decency and honesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    (...) Ok, if you're in a high end job with new and exciting challenges coming up daily, then fair enough, (...)
    Errrm, No. Absolutely not. It is still the single most painful moment of the year*.

General appeal: could all those who have their appraisals done please copy/paste something here to help the likes of Zanx and me? (cue the usual piss-taking )

*Apart from when the mistress puts her strap-on.

Liked 192 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Doesn't have anything to do with Britishness. Just normal decency and honesty.
    Errrm, No. Absolutely not. It is still the single most painful moment of the year*.

General appeal: could all those who have their appraisals done please copy/paste something here to help the likes of Zanx and me? (cue the usual piss-taking )

*Apart from when the mistress puts her strap-on.
    My lot really liked it when I said, "This year I feel I have become much more flexible and customer focused in my approach". .

Liked 26 in 19 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    My lot really liked it when I said, "This year I feel I have become much more flexible and customer focused in my approach". .
    begging the question - how inflexible and unfocused were you last year, and why did nobody notice?

Liked 192 in 103 posts

Quote Originally Posted by redorzed View Post
    begging the question - how inflexible and unfocused were you last year, and why did nobody notice?

Exactly. I'm no different now than I was then. Its just paying lip service and has no place for staff at my level.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 97 in 43 posts

Funnily enough I've started to do my lot. Got 14 to do.

Always try to do people justice and not just pay lip service to it, but fuck me it's like wading through treacle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum