TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Under-carpet floor insulation?

Liked 49 in 40 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Under-carpet floor insulation?

We have a part of our house which was extended some years ago. The floor is noticeably colder than the rest of the house. Under the carpet it's just a concrete slab. I'm reworking the room and will lay new carpet. Is there anything I can put under the carpet to help add a layer of insulation, and that won't cause any other issues or raise it more than a few millimetres?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 494 in 325 posts

Default Re: Under-carpet floor insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by burty View Post
    We have a part of our house which was extended some years ago. The floor is noticeably colder than the rest of the house. Under the carpet it's just a concrete slab. I'm reworking the room and will lay new carpet. Is there anything I can put under the carpet to help add a layer of insulation, and that won't cause any other issues or raise it more than a few millimetres?
    There's good insulated underlays about but I wouldn't know what brands to use, best ask a carpet fitter.

Liked 49 in 40 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 831 in 533 posts
    Blog Entries

You'd have to check with a carpet fitter to see if these can go under them or if they're hard flooring only, but these are thin;

Warmup | 200 W/m˛ Heating Mats | Warmup® 200W/m˛ Heating Mat (2WPFM)

Obvioulsy you'd need to look at running costs.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 494 in 325 posts

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    You can get insulated board as well. I have the same problem in one room where I'm about to rip out the carpet and replace with wood flooring, so was hoping to pick up a few tips as to which brand/source meself......
    I've fitted insulated chipboard recently, is that what you are meaning?

The stuff I have seen had 75mm of insulation glued on the underside of 600mmx2400mm tongued and grooved chipboard.
    It adds quite a lot of height to the floor though which could be a problem.

Can't remember what make it was though, might have been Caberfloor or Weyroc?

Saves time cutting all the insulation then doing the same with the chipboard but as I didn't buy the stuff I have no idea how expensive it was.
    Was fairly gutted when I didn't have enough space to keep hold of the three spare boards that would have made a nice allotment shed floor and had to chuck em in the skip.

One in a million Tart Silly Car's Avatar
    Liked 299 in 209 posts
    Blog Entries

I have used the 7mm insulation boards under laminate flooring before, seem to work very well.

Duralay is a make of carpet underlay that springs to mind, however I only have carpet on the stairs so not an expert by any means

Liked 49 in 40 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies guys. I apologise for not acknowledging that sooner.

We have underfloor heating in the kitchen and it's fantastic, but I think unnecessary for this room really. I think a layer of insulation would be sufficient. The problem that I have is the height of the bottom of the door.. Which I guess could be resolved actually a slight lift in floor level would work as the floor is slightly lower than that of the adjacent room, but I can go probably only 10mm without it being much higher.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I fitted Envirofelt 50 to my front-room floor, which is wood with a DAMN cold draught coming up through it - seriously, it was too cold to walk on.
    It's very thick and insulating, and I thoroughly recommend it. It's made a huge difference to the room, and I only have the cheapest, nastiest office carpet laid on it at the moment. (as a temporary cover)

Felt and Wool Carpet Underlay from Carpets Direct (GB) Ltd for all your carpet underlay and accessory needs

Go Back to Forum My Forum