TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Rechroming. How much?

Not Much To Do
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Rechroming. How much?

Thinking of putting an offer on a bike on ebay to renovate. Anyone give me some ideas what rechroming costs? ie set of pipes, mudguard etc.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 41 in 23 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rechroming. How much?

I was quoted c130 per pair for fork legs.

HTH.

Banned
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I'd be AMAZED if you could get a platers to do exhaust pipes. As, if used, the process can loosen the carbon and bugger up their baths.

If the mudguards are pitted you are going to be finding it impossible to get a good finish from them anyway. Buying new ones will be cheaper and give a better result.

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 85 in 53 posts

Stuff like fork legs are a rather more expensive process and the last time I had it done it cost 80 quid for a pair (about 15 years ago though).

I also would be surprised if they let you bung an exhaust in there cos the time I asked about putting an expansion chamber in the bloke gave me a very short answer
    Mudguards though, shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as they are not really pitted.

Dunno bout cost though.

I wouldn't be surprised if EddieJ who does up the twostrokes knows a bit more about it.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 26 in 18 posts
    Blog Entries

When I was restoring my Commando I looked into the cost of plating vs replacement. Eventually the only parts I got replated were the ones I couldn't get replacements for, because it cost more than replacing them. And that's parts where there was no quibble about getting it in the bath.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    Stuff like fork legs are a rather more expensive process and the last time I had it done it cost 80 quid for a pair (about 15 years ago though).
    Rather more so, as rather than a cosmetic finish fork legs are hard chromed and then ground.

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    I also would be surprised if they let you bung an exhaust in there cos the time I asked about putting an expansion chamber in the bloke gave me a very short answer
    The expansion chamber is the give away - two stroke exhausts are dirty affairs and I don't think any plater would touch them. There are some that will do four stroke pipes though.

As for costs - I'll have to pass, as I only know mates rates for small bits.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

cheers for the info. Thought it might be a pain/pricey

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Just had two downpipes, a balance pipe, front mudguard and stays done for a 500 which cost 150. Asked the cost of two silencers also - said probably about 150 for the two.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazmoose View Post
    Thinking of putting an offer on a bike on ebay to renovate. Anyone give me some ideas what rechroming costs? ie set of pipes, mudguard etc.
    It might be worth you having a word with these guys - www.aerocoat.net 'cos they do a polished alloy powdercoat finish that's very nice indeed.

Liked 26 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nik S View Post
    It might be worth you having a word with these guys - www.aerocoat.net 'cos they do a polished alloy powdercoat finish that's very nice indeed.

Bookmarked for my TRX, thanks Nik

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Wink Re: Rechroming. How much?

You can get downpipes re-chromed, but not the silencers. Chroming is a trade un-to-itself. Your best bet is to drop your parts in for evaluation or contact one of the bigger companies that deal specifically with bike parts and online sales.

You could try

AshfordChroming.com

Tel +44 01233 660879

Not Much To Do
    Liked 3 in 2 posts

It depends on the bike.For parts like tanks and mudguards that aren't replacable,you fill the deep pits with the correct grade of silver solder.
    Then it gets expensive,you have to find a triple plater.
    The part is left in the copper,then polished,then copper,and so on,till the remaining pits are filled with copper.
    Then it's triple plated as normal.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Was it worth dredging up a three year old thread for that?

Go Back to Forum My Forum