TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soil removal

Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

Default Soil removal

I need to get a fair few tons of soil removed - an area 4m x 8m x 1m approximately. What's the cheapest way to do it?

Can't do it all in one hit, so skip is probably out.
    Can you get 1 ton bags that you fill and then someone takes them away, and if so, how much?
    If not, how much for someone to come in and do it with a big scoop and a truck? Roughly.

Ta.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    times

Default Re: Soil removal

Haven't you seen The Great Escape?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked
    times

Burn it.

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Bury it.

<somebody had to say it>

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Can you get 1 ton bags that you fill and then someone takes them away,
    You could, but after allowing for bulking up, you have around 41m cube of soil to remove. That is the equivalent of around 69 ton bags!!

Why can't you dig it out and stone it up in one go?

If it was me, I'd just hire a 3.5 ton digger* then have muckaway lorries. Self loading is around 25 percent cheaper than grab. Two eight wheelers with the right drivers will have it done.

*with or without operator

Liked
    times

I need to get a fair few tons of soil removed - an area 4m x 8m x 1m approximately. What's the cheapest way to do it?

Can you get 1 ton bags that you fill and then someone takes them away, and if so, how much?
    If not, how much for someone to come in and do it with a big scoop and a truck? Roughly.

Ta.
    As Eddie says hire a 3.5T machine and try pricing up15 yard roll on roll off skips which means you can load when you want. Assuming you have space to drop one off that is. This might help. Try your local skip company.
    Bob Stabler & Sons Skip Hire - Skip Sizes

Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

It's frightening the way it puffs up once you dig it. I helped someone shift 6 tonnes of very nice topsoil a few weeks back, it was only 4" off a 15x20ft bed. After 4 double trailer trips, it just looked like a little pile of dirt at the recieving end. Very odd stuff indeed.

Liked
    times

If its decent topsoil its worth calling the local outfits who deliver such things, they will often take it away for free, because they can sell it for good money.

Liked
    times

Ta.
    If you've got top soil 1m deep then i'm a monkeys uncle . At best it'll be ....400 deep. the rest is subsoil .
    If your near Bedford i can sort something out for you.

Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    You could, but after allowing for bulking up, you have around 41m cube of soil to remove. That is the equivalent of around 69 ton bags!!

Why can't you dig it out and stone it up in one go?

If it was me, I'd just hire a 3.5 ton digger* then have muckaway lorries. Self loading is around 25 percent cheaper than grab. Two eight wheelers with the right drivers will have it done.

*with or without operator
    Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    As Eddie says hire a 3.5T machine and try pricing up15 yard roll on roll off skips which means you can load when you want. Assuming you have space to drop one off that is. This might help. Try your local skip company.
    Bob Stabler & Sons Skip Hire - Skip Sizes
    What they said, the 1 ton bags (hippo bags) are a bloody expensive way of getting rid of anything, even 1 bag full.

Removing that kind of soil is a pain, I would speak to a few companies to get prices on someone else doing it, it would be worth the money not to have to mess about getting a digger in with a driver, then sorting out lorries or skips. Much better to be standing there taking pics then having the hassle of doing it.

With all respect to eddie some of us dont do this kind of thing on a weekly basis so that extra you pay to get it done pays dividends when you're not stood there with a digger and driver waiting/hoping the lorry/skip is going to arrive.

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post

With all respect to eddie some of us dont do this kind of thing on a weekly basis so that extra you pay to get it done pays dividends when you're not stood there with a digger and driver waiting/hoping the lorry/skip is going to arrive.
    Are you saying that I still don't think.... "Where the f**k is that lorry" or "what the hell are you doing, why did you have to chew that verge up"

One lesson that I learnt very early on, was that whenever you are doing muckaway or concrete, always without fail ask for the lorries to be on turn around. In theory this gives you priority over them shooting off to others first before coming back to you.
    This is especially important with concrete if you think that you may need an additional part load after a full load. When ordering it, always ask for a load 'plus'. The plus is very important, as the supplying company then have a legal obligation to supply the next part load at the agreed rate given for a full load.
    With muckaway, be aware that it may well cost as much for you have a part load taken away, as it would for a full load.
    Also differing materials may have differing pricing. As already previously stated, sometimes top soil may be free, or at haulage cost. I've also had the same with hardcore in the winter, when the companies are desperate to get something hard to drive on at the tips.
    Another point to bear in mind with soil removal, is the top soil means just that. It doesn't mean top soil and subsoil mixed together. Doing that is of no help to anyone.

Having a play.

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

That's quite a lot of digging - you might be shocked at the cost

Again I think it's a job for the professionals. I don't make a habit of saying this, it's just the jobs you're asking about

It's 4 or 5 truckloads by the way - ie shitloads

On the brightside, remembering the original thread and and pics, I don't think it's as deep as you reckon

BTW, you still need to work out how to retain the side of the excavation where the path goes up AFAIK

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    That's quite a lot of digging - you might be shocked at the cost

Again I think it's a job for the professionals. I don't make a habit of saying this, it's just the jobs you're asking about

It's 4 or 5 truckloads by the way - ie shitloads

On the brightside, remembering the original thread and and pics, I don't think it's as deep as you reckon

BTW, you still need to work out how to retain the side of the excavation where the path goes up AFAIK
    I hadn't looked at the original thread, but after having just done so, another concern would be hidden services. There's obviously the foul drain system running through the front, and I would guess that the gas/electric and water are also likely to be in there.
    Before starting any work, it would be very prudent to contact the utilities companies for any maps of service locations. They are invariably wrong, but its a good insurance for you and these days, no public liability insurance is going to cover you if you haven't first done your research. Keep a record of any conversations that you may have with the utilities companies just in case you hit a problem.

Whatever you decide to do, its going to be a slow and cautious dig.

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

^ Very good points on the services. You need to work out where all of them are before starting

The foul drain could spanner the whole plan. For obvious reasons, it has to fall fairly consistently and it may very well not be deep enough at the house end

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

OK, had a better look at the pics

Looks like the drain goes down the path, so you ought to be all right there. And I deffo think you've overestimated your quantities

It's still not a small job though, and you will need to work out where the other services go. And retaining the ground under the path is a bit of an issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum