TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain the various elements of armed forces

Should Get Out More Deer Stalker's Avatar
    Liked 37 in 22 posts

Default Explain the various elements of armed forces

I mean the types of forces please, I've done a bit of a google but how about the army types present explaining a little.

We have commandos, paras, rangers, marines, various rifle regiments and all sorts of infantry (this isn't a UK only thread). Now many of these are serving in Afganistan but do explain the difference between say, the paras doing a tour and the royal marines being there too...
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 60 in 38 posts

Default Re: Explain the various elements of armed forces

Paras are infantry that jump out of planes

Marines are infantry that jump off boats

Infantry are , well infantry
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 57 in 27 posts

RAF ..posh gays
    Royal Navy.. gayboys for general use
    Royal marines...On board ships so the sailors have someone to dance with
    Paras... Not very bright but they can lift heavy things
    SAS... can speak more than one language and still lift heavy things
    REME.. Cant llift things but can press the button on a machine that can do it for them
    Pompey supporters..Britains real fighting forces

HTH

Should Get Out More
    Liked 60 in 34 posts
    Blog Entries

Main Page - ARRSEpedia if it's worth explaining it's on there already....

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Main Page - ARRSEpedia if it's worth explaining it's on there already....
    Oh, I do wish you hadn't done that. That's thick end of 2 hours I've wasted (again) giggling at Crabs, Walts, Rinteln, '68 Pattern DPM etc. Not new but some talented writing. Did find a link to this though, which is a scream:
    Shrine of the Mall Ninja LonelyMachines

Should Get Out More
    Liked 83 in 62 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
    Oh, I do wish you hadn't done that. That's thick end of 2 hours I've wasted (again) giggling at Crabs, Walts, Rinteln, '68 Pattern DPM etc. Not new but some talented writing. Did find a link to this though, which is a scream:
    Shrine of the Mall Ninja LonelyMachines
    Coffee/keyboard interface ! That's the funniest thing I've read in ages !

Liked 89 in 47 posts
    Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with Adam pointing people towards ARRSE but I don't know how well it is written or how easy it is to be understood by the non-military. I'm not going to read it either.

So, my 2d worth. You could say that the Army is split into 2 parts; the 'Teeth' Arms and the Support Arms. The Teeth arms consist of the Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Engineers, Signals, Intelligence, Army Air Corps, super-doopers etc - basically people directly involved in the fighting effort.

The Support arms consist of Logistics; Transport, REME, Ordnance Corps, cooks, and other support services Medics, dental, legal - all of the other bits that enable the fighting boys to do their bit and for the whole organisation to function in both peace and war.

It can get complicated after that.
    Last edited by Yambo; 29-11-10 at 09:08.

Liked 119 in 71 posts

Its basically infantry and people who help the infantry.
    The infantry kill people and everyone else makes sure the infantry are where they need to be in order to kill people.

That involves feeding them, fixing their communications equipment and vehicles, telling them where the enemy is and paying them.
    Although they like to think so no one in the armed forces is any more special than anyone else, the infantry might take the piss out of the RLC but they'll soon start to moan if they don't get resupplies of food and kit.

However in modern warfare (or counter insurgency ops) there are no REMFs anymore, Adam is just as likely to get taken out in his bed by IDF (indirect fire = rockets and mortars) as anyone else....although he will still get a nosebleed if he has to advance anywhere near the front gate

Liked 71 in 45 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Its basically infantry and people who help the infantry when they get in more shit than they can cope with.
    The infantry kill people and everyone else makes sure the infantry are where they need to be in order to kill people or don't run too far back.

That involves feeding them, fixing their communications equipment and vehicles, telling them where the enemy is and paying them and solving the problems they make and paying for the damage at the pub.
    Although they like to think so no one in the armed forces is any more special than anyone else, the infantry might take the piss out of the RLC but they'll soon start to moan if they don't get resupplies of food and kit.

However in modern warfare (or counter insurgency ops) there are no REMFs anymore, Adam is just as likely to get taken out in his bed by IDF (indirect fire = rockets and mortars) as anyone else....although he will still get a nosebleed if he has to advance anywhere near the front gate

Liked 119 in 71 posts

When the infantry get in more shit than they can cope with they die, then they send in more infantry.

Liked 22 in 11 posts

Navy is split into two distinct parts:

Submarines & targets...

Liked 22 in 11 posts

Gecko45 is legendary on US gun forums

Liked 119 in 71 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Gecko45 is legendary on US gun forums
    I'm legendary on US gun forums, although I'm banned from most now.
    I even managed to get myself banned from a UK airgun forum.

The best I ever did was the 'Christian Knife-makers' forum.
    I told them the devil had instructed me to make a special knife to kill unborn children that might be Jesus Christ and I asked for tips like "Whats the best type of blade to pierce skin".
    Being merkins they went for it hook, line and sinker and put hundreds of hours into trying to persaude me that what I was doing was wrong.
    Then they banned me

There is some hilarious stuff on ARRSE, but for some reason I've had stuff removed from there as well, I posted stuff about an airsoft walt that was exposed pretending to be special forces/RMP Close Protection, I posted some stories about him that happened when he was attached to an infantry regiment who deployed to Iraq but I got an email from mods warning me off because apparantly he'd suffered enough.
    This was a bloke who turned up to muster parade with skateboard knee protectors on that he'd sprayed in desert cam, he managed to set fire to a whole infantry platoons kit and then made a video of himself wanking in a sangar on sentry duty, uploaded it to a paradigm computer and posted it on the internet. It was found on the computer and he got charged. The thing that brought him down though was selling an RMP uniform on ebay that he reckoned had belonged to one of the RMP killed in Majar al Kabir.
    He was exposed and made the newspapers.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    So, my 2d worth. You could say that the Army is split into 2 parts; the 'Teeth' Arms and the Support Arms. The Teeth arms consist of the Infantry, Armour, Engineers, Signals, Intelligence, Army Air Corps, super-doopers etc - basically people directly involved in the fighting effort. . . . It can get complicated after that.
    If I can correct that slightly:
    The Combat Arms are the "teeth" of the British Army, infantry, armoured and aviation units which engage in close action.
    The Combat Support Arms provide direct support to the Combat Arms and include artillery, engineer, signals and aviation.
    The Combat Service Support Arms provide sustainment and support for the Combat and Combat Support Arms.

Obviously this sort of distinction ruffles feathers of those who feel that they should be 'higher' up the foodchain but here it is on an MOD document (which also includes links to Regimental websites if the OP wants specific details):
    http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen...es-SO3OCAC.pdf
    (I know it's about commissioning but page 3 onwards is what I'm on about).
    Obviously nothing about Marines as they are part of the Navy, nor Special Forces as if I told you what I know about THEM I'd have to kill you. I'd be bullsh***ing as well!
    Last edited by Vitesse; 29-11-10 at 09:01.

Liked 89 in 47 posts
    Blog Entries

The infantry kill people and everyone else makes sure the infantry are where they need to be in order to kill people.
    I think historically the Artillery have killed more people than the Infantry have. However, they're not called Drop-shorts for no reason so sometimes they have killed the wrong people.

The Infantry's real job is to hold ground that the front line fighters have taken.

"Victory is the big, bright beautiful flower. Transport is the stem without which it could never flourish." Winnie

Quote Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
    If I can correct that slightly:
    The Combat Arms are the "teeth" of the British Army, infantry, armoured and aviation units which engage in close action.
    The Combat Support Arms provide direct support to the Combat Arms and include artillery, engineer, signals and aviation.
    The Combat Service Support Arms provide sustainment and support for the Combat and Combat Support Arms.

This is presumably the new lean modern Army. My apologies, I'm an old giffer thinking about getting a red coat. Do the HQs still work on the old G1/G4 and G2/G3 set up?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum