TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Tiles to go behind a wood burning stove, any special type needed?

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 176 in 110 posts

Default Tiles to go behind a wood burning stove, any special type needed?

I've got rid of our big inefficient fireplace and fitted a multi fuel flue liner to my chimney, will soon be bunging a multifuel stove (coal and wood) in the now rather large alcove where the fireplace was.
    Wanting to tile in the back of the alcove behind the back of the stove but will be leaving a gap between the stove and the back wall.
    My question is, is there any reason why fairly normal kitchen style glazed tiles can't be used there?
    I'm guessing its going to be fairly hot at the back of the stove but its not in direct contact with the fire and it won't have any combustible materials under the tiles.

Special tile adhesive? Grout any different from the normal Bal stuff I used before?

I've never tiled anything that gets hotter than the bit behind a gas hob before (not very hot at all then) and don't know if its any different.

Anyone?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 55 in 23 posts

Default Re: Tiles to go behind a wood burning stove, any special type needed?

Not knowing anything about this either, I would guess that expansion would be the biggest issue, rather than the material choice itself.
    At the last house, I simply cut down bricks and used those to make a 1" thick wall behind. It worked for 15 years with no cracks.

Liked 176 in 110 posts

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    Not knowing anything about this either, I would guess that expansion would be the biggest issue, rather than the material choice itself.
    That was what I was thinking but I've no idea if its a problem, I do still have a few 400mm square slate tiles left over from a pub I worked on ages ago but my lovely wife isn't blown away by the look of them for behind and to the side of the stove.
    Then I've seen some very nice indeedy Victorian repro fireplace tiles (like go on the sides of cast iron fireplaces) but again I think they are out of the heat a bit more than they would be behind a woodburner.

Maybe its just not a problem anyway. I don't know.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 55 in 23 posts

What I can tell you, is that you never want to run heat proof electric cable along the back side of an inglenook beam. The cable was fine, but the cable clips melted, which then exposed the the nails on the clips, which then burnt into the heat proof cable.

Liked 176 in 110 posts

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    What I can tell you, is that you never want to run heat proof electric cable along the back side of an inglenook beam. The cable was fine, but the cable clips melted, which then exposed the the nails on the clips, which then burnt into the heat proof cable.
    I'll bear that in mind

Liked 8 in 7 posts
    Blog Entries

Use a good cementicious adhesive, BAL make one Gold Star or something. sold by the bag Make sure you use a solid bed trowel as you don't want voids behind the tiles. I did an open fire place like that and it lasted years.

Liked 520 in 311 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    I'm guessing its going to be fairly hot at the back of the stove but its not in direct contact with the fire and it won't have any combustible materials under the tiles.
    I think you'll be surprised. Chatting with a guy from charnwoods (stove manufacturer on the island, they sponser our rugby club) and he was explaining that with the design of the modern ones they make them to chuck the heat out of the front by design and then further insulate the other other 3 sides. They have to specifically shape the wood burner if you want to use it with a back boiler.

They put a large wood burner into the clubhouse, it sits in the corner about 18" from the wall, nothing was done to prepare the wall, its just painted. I'd check what the manufacturer has to say, this will be one of the most common questions they get asked, but (being a geek) its quite amazing how much stove design has advanced from a simple metal box.

Go Back to Forum My Forum