TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome paint,- any good?

Liked
    times

Default Chrome paint,- any good?

Anyone used it?
    Does it actually look like chrome?

Not on anything other than a couple of tatty plastic parts, tank badges and side panel logos.
    Four small plastic parts that would cost me 128 to replace so I'm looking to tidy up the existing ones, repair the broken bits and fill in the gaps, the chrome trim is flaking in places but it would be nice to smooth it all off and make them neat again.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    times

Default Re: Chrome paint,- any good?

Its better than silver paint, but its really dependant on the quality of prep. The chrome powdercoat on the other hand is remarkable, IMO, if you didn't know you would struggle to tell it was the real deal.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    The chrome powdercoat on the other hand is remarkable, IMO, if you didn't know you would struggle to tell it was the real deal.
    It can be amazing but if I was paying for it, I'd ask for a sample and insist the finished items match the sample because It can also look like very bright grey!

Liked
    times

That isn't chrome on the plastic parts, it's vacuum metalized aluminium...

Liked
    times

Whatever it actually is, it's still called chrome paint on the tin.
    I'm trying to find out whether it's worth considering, or is it just another smooth silver.

I didn't know you could powdercoat plastic parts, wont the heat process affect them?

Not Much To Do
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Monstyr View Post
    I didn't know you could powdercoat plastic parts, wont the heat process affect them?
    You can't,think he just mentioned it in passing.
    I've seen some Porky 356 wheels in chrome powder coat,they were brilliant,in every sense.

Liked
    times

Chrome powder coat is fantastic. I've been using it for 3 years now on my sidecar frames and various other sidecar parts:

In my experience, chrome paint is exactly what you think it will be, slightly better than silver paint. Why not recolour all those items instead?

Liked
    times

This is what I'm trying to refurbish, I don't think powder coating is an option on these unfortunately.

After a clean they looked a bit neater and brighter but still have lots of scratches and chips in the paint.
    I've had a go at reconstructing the broken part using plastic model sprue.
    This'll need properly finished as a shiny finish will accentuate any flaws.

Liked
    times

I take it the paint work is recessed with the metal in relief? why not give them a spray, wet/dry the proud metal then clearcoat the finished item? either with a can of lac or get a nice spray shop to do a 2 pak finish? How is the Morini coming along?

Liked
    times

The whole badge is plastic covered in the chrome finish, with the white,red and black being laid over this, I'd be quite happy to recoat the whole thing and then carefully reapply the other colours, I just need to find something that looks OK.
    It's difficult to judge what actual finish some of these paints have, the last thing to rely on is their own descriptions or coloured caps, they are usually,erm...optimistic.

The bike is nearly down to it's most dismantled state , I'm having to admit defeat in getting a sheared bolt out of the frame and will have to take it to a shop where they have better equipment, but so far so good and it should keep me occupied over the winter.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Monstyr View Post
    The whole badge is plastic covered in the chrome finish, with the white,red and black being laid over this, I'd be quite happy to recoat the whole thing and then carefully reapply the other colours, I just need to find something that looks OK.
    It's difficult to judge what actual finish some of these paints have, the last thing to rely on is their own descriptions or coloured caps, they are usually,erm...optimistic.

The bike is nearly down to it's most dismantled state , I'm having to admit defeat in getting a sheared bolt out of the frame and will have to take it to a shop where they have better equipment, but so far so good and it should keep me occupied over the winter.
    Why paint it when you can wrap it at a fraction of the cost Porsche 911 Turbo chrome vehicle wrap - YouTube

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfzx12r View Post
    Why paint it when you can wrap it at a fraction of the cost Porsche 911 Turbo chrome vehicle wrap - YouTube
    That would never work on such a small detail. I've tried it with small bits of plastic and it won't wrap around the edges firmly enough to stick, it's always going to peel away eventually. Those badges would need a LOT of careful work with a craft knife, judicious use of glue and I reckon they'd still peel. Vacuum metalised is the only way to go.

Screwd.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    That would never work on such a small detail. I've tried it with small bits of plastic and it won't wrap around the edges firmly enough to stick, it's always going to peel away eventually. Those badges would need a LOT of careful work with a craft knife, judicious use of glue and I reckon they'd still peel. Vacuum metalised is the only way to go.

Screwd.
    You use vinyl adhesive for the edges.
    I have carbon wrapped a few mobile phones with no peeling, and they get chucked around, in and out of sweaty pockets

Should Get Out More
    Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfzx12r View Post
    You use vinyl adhesive for the edges.
    I have carbon wrapped a few mobile phones with no peeling, and they get chucked around, in and out of sweaty pockets
    Whatever adhesive you use, you'll never get it to stick to the badges above. Have another look at them...

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Whatever adhesive you use, you'll never get it to stick to the badges above. Have another look at them...
    They do look tricky, although I wouldn't pull the vinyl around the edges on them, cutting along the face edge instead.

Working like a sign written font on the side of a van on a flat surface, I did the same on the alloy wheels as a test my thoughts were it would blow off "it didn't, I have now taken the vinyl off which was an absolute night mare of a job, a lot harder than it was to put the wrap on TBH. I only faced the wrap and used the edge of the alloy as a guide to cut along "no pull around the edges" as long as the surface is clean and degrease it will stick.

It's worth having a go with the amount of vinyl you would need to do them 0.5m if that at a cost of max 10 + time, a good sign writer could even scan them and cut each individually font on a plotter cutter even having the colours printed on but that would cost . http://youtu.be/DT5FkkFh-iY
    Last edited by Wolfzx12r; 31-10-11 at 00:30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum