TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow!! Is Cal becoming Alien?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Wow!! Is Cal becoming Alien?

As it says on the tin !

2 x 4ths, regular (inc testing) out perfoming more experienced number 1 rider team mate.

Current Aliens saying he is most improved, Spies being so pants so far chance of a mid season factory switch?

mmmmm, or is it too soon yet?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 21 in 11 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wow!! Is Cal becoming Alien?

Hes an amazing raw talent, I told him so when he was in the R6 cup.
    Currently surfing the crest of a wave of confidence. Hope there's no wipeout.
    He just needs to keep his head and keep it upright this year.

Liked 55 in 41 posts

I put it down to the mouse.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 123 in 70 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    mmmmm, or is it too soon yet?
    A bit. But even looking back at his WSS and WSB and even BSS rides, he's a VERY VERY good rider. What we've not had is a very good rider who can make the transition to the big league... However now in this season Cal has a bike that (probably) rides a lot more like the bikes he loves... Add to this he's on a more even playing field than previous years due to bike development being in it;s infancy on these models... Means overall he's in the best position possible.
    Finally, he's a confidence rider, always has been. Currently riding on the crest of a wave due to pre-season and 2 race meets where he's performed brilliantly.

He has two of the 3 things he needs to become an Alien.
    Speed
    Bollox
    Consistency... this is the only one he's lacking at the moment...however, this season, he's obviously finding that too.

To finish within 4 seconds of Lorenzo/Stoner is bloody amazing. MAybe... just maybe he'll now shut up the muppets who've written him off.

Liked 13 in 11 posts

I think he has made a major step this year and summed up well by Julian Ryder ............. he now feels he "belongs" in the MotoGP paddock and instead of looking at Lorenzo, Stoner and the top boys with awe, he now spends time with them laughing and cracking jokes

He had a good start last year then fell away but this year his confidence is there and to have beaten Dovi on the same bike is the best demonstration of his ability as Weeksy pointed out the playing field is more level as its the first year for everyone on those bikes.

Herve is back to loving him again and even when he crashes in practise the team are smiling as they can see the speed

Its way too early to start lobbing "alien" status at him but he is doing himself a lot of good for remaining in the paddock next year

Should Get Out More
    Liked 21 in 11 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    Its way too early to start lobbing "alien" status at him...
    Depends on your thoughts on coventry really...

Liked 13 in 11 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Depends on your thoughts on coventry really...
    i suppose the fact he is now an IOM resident means the term "alien" is easier to bestow...............remember that lass who took a shine to you when we were there............... now that was an alien

On the banks of the River Thames, with Ratty and Mole.
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I think the new tyres, with a more flexible carcass suit him better too.

I would imagine as the bikes are developed throughout the year his task will become more difficult as Tech 3 won't get the good bits first.

Liked 26 in 15 posts

No. Wayyyyyy too early to be starting any of that altho I'm sure the British press will hype him up out of proportion until his next DNF!

I'm not his biggest fan - was quite a 'messy' rider on superbikes which I didn't think would translate well to GP bikes but fair play to the boy, he's doing alright so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Pete View Post

I would imagine as the bikes are developed throughout the year his task will become more difficult as Tech 3 won't get the good bits first.
    Probably nail on the head unless Spies keeps on being rubbish in which case they'll possibly lob stuff in the direction of Tech 3 to keep as many Yamahas near the pointy end as poss.

That little space to the left of my brain
    Liked: 1/1
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dickymint View Post
    No. Wayyyyyy too early to be starting any of that altho I'm sure the British press will hype him up out of proportion until his next DNF!

I'm not his biggest fan - was quite a 'messy' rider on superbikes which I didn't think would translate well to GP bikes but fair play to the boy, he's doing alright so far.

Probably nail on the head unless Spies keeps on being rubbish in which case they'll possibly lob stuff in the direction of Tech 3 to keep as many Yamahas near the pointy end as poss.
    What do you mean 'was' quite a messy rider? You look at hiim compared to the others at the front, I dont know if it is his size comparatively, but he seems to be all over the bike with various elbows and legs sticking out at odd angles (just ask Nicky Hayden!).

Who knows what the long term holds, I just think he is an exciting rider to watch, he probably needs to calm down a touch as the first lap was more than a bit messy.

Liked 123 in 70 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bonners View Post
    What do you mean 'was' quite a messy rider? You look at hiim compared to the others at the front, I dont know if it is his size comparatively, but he seems to be all over the bike with various elbows and legs sticking out at odd angles (just ask Nicky Hayden!).

Who knows what the long term holds, I just think he is an exciting rider to watch, he probably needs to calm down a touch as the first lap was more than a bit messy.
    I'd expect nothing less from him... he's a young (in experience at this level anyway) rider with more bollox than he knows what to do with and getting all excited at the thought of doing the big boys... i think it will be a couple more results like this before he starts truely believing in himself and settling down easier.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    He had a good start last year then fell away but this year his confidence is there and to have beaten Dovi on the same bike is the best demonstration of his ability as Weeksy pointed out the playing field is more level as its the first year for everyone on those bikes.

Herve is back to loving him again and even when he crashes in practise the team are smiling as they can see the speed

Its way too early to start lobbing "alien" status at him but he is doing himself a lot of good for remaining in the paddock next year
    From the commentary in Qatar, is was said that Dovi is number one status and gets first dibs on data and kit, so it could be beaten Dovi who is on superior kit? You just never know what goes on behind the doors of the garage?

Liked 12 in 11 posts

He's had a good start to the season but far to early for Alien comparisons. Dovi will keep getting stronger, remember he is still adapting to the Yam and missed a load of pre-season and yet has finished only 1 place down in both races. I also think the Tech 3 bikes will become less competitive as the season goes on unless as has been said Yam throw parts their way if Spies doesn't work out. I really hope he can keep up the solid form though as its great to see a Brit at the sharp end.

Liked 67 in 47 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    From the commentary in Qatar, is was said that Dovi is number one status and gets first dibs on data and kit, so it could be beaten Dovi who is on superior kit? You just never know what goes on behind the doors of the garage?
    Its a bit early for superior kit with the new 1 litre bikes only having raced twice. the gap from factory to satellite teams will grow as the season progresses.
    It will be interesting to see how Tech3 play it if they think Cal is man to secure most points. It will also be interesting to see how Yamaha Factory approach it if Spies is languishing below Rossi in the table.
    Fantastic ride from him yesterday but I reckon the front tyre choice made a difference. He posted the fastest lap of the race and was 0.3 quicker than Lorenzo's fastest lap.
    Dovvy reckons he's still not adjusted to the Yamaha yet and commented that Cal was carrying much more speed into the corners and he (Dovvy) needed to adapt his style to make the most of the Yam.

Liked 68 in 55 posts

I wonder if they may think they signed Bradders too early ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum