TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Speed perception and Headlights

Liked 28 in 9 posts

Default Speed perception and Headlights

No I dont want a new debate....

A friend needs to find some documents about how the use of headlights tends to make others misjudge their speed and judge their speed to be higher..

I have tried search but there is so much stuff listed I cant find what I am looking for..

anybody have any links to official documents ( as opposed to personal experiences) which show that people over estimate speed of vehicles with bright lights on??

TIA

PS needed rather urgently
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 31 in 25 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Speed perception and Headlights

Good luck.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 28 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
    Google "crypsis by counterillumination".
    Thanks but I am not after info about camouflage effects.. quite the opposite.. it was an article where it was shown that people judged bikes with headlights on as going faster than ones that were not displaying lights...........

Liked 55 in 34 posts

Check my recent thread in SA, read the report, it may be m ed ntioned /refernced there

Also, search for posts by me, include ovrr- under- estimation speed. Try search for hills too.

Liked 55 in 34 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Thanks but I am not after info about camouflage effects.. quite the opposite.. it was an article where it was shown that people judged bikes with headlights on as going faster than ones that were not displaying lights...........
    I can't remember any details, but I think there was a cross-over (poss. 30mph) where there was under-estimation with light below 30 and over-estimation above.

Liked 12 in 10 posts

Shaw 1979

Compared the accuracy with which subjects estimated the speed of a motorcycle with headlamp on, and off.

Subjects over-estimated the speed for lower speed of approach
    Subjects under-estimated the speed for higher speed of approach

The reversal from over- to under- took place between 50-55mph with the headlamp off, and between 35-40mph with the headlamp on.

Liked 55 in 34 posts

Now tell us where you C&P it from

Liked 12 in 10 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Now tell us where you C&P it from

You either here, the other place or an email. Not from the source document sadly.

But maybe items 11 & 13 HERE are relevant to the OP

Go Back to Forum My Forum