TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw - What should I look for.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Default Band Saw - What should I look for.

I am in need of a Band Saw. I am no carpenter but can turn my hand to most things. I have a lot of balconies to replace which involves cutting patterns in the boards. I've done some using a jig saw but I think a band saw would be better. It is on a budget so commercial or serious hobby kit is out of the question.

What should I be looking for?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 51 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Band Saw - What should I look for.

I too am thinking about a band saw but I doubt I'll have the choice that you'd get in the UK. However, if you have to make a lot of the same bits have you considered making one good one (maybe with your jig saw and then making copies using a template bit in a router?

The woodworkers will be along in a bit though Ali so you'll hopefully get a decent answer.

Liked 26 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

Make sure the tyres are in good nick and not sloping. I've been quoted 180 to re-tyre my Startrite 20RWS after the blade decided to refuse to stay on the wheels.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 89 in 54 posts

Sorry I can't help you out but I never use em and don't have one.
    Can't think of any mates in the same trade who do, unless they are a bench joiner and have a joiners shop. Site carpenters hardly ever have them.
    For me I'd be tempted to do a template and draw round that, cut round it with a jigsaw if its on a few cuts or make a template and use a router instead.

I'd have far more use for a metal cutting one than a wood cutting bandsaw.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

I've never used a Router.

I have a good Template. The work involves a repeating curved pattern down both sides of a "plank" about 1000 x 220 x 22mm. There are many pieces to cut. They seem to use Band saws out here to do the job but I am open to advice.

I'm in Austria by the way.

I've been using a good quality Jig Saw to date but having watched a Band Saw the cuts seem to be better with the blade naturally holding the wood on the plate. The nature of the curves required don't really necessitate relief cuts. With the amount of wood in the place I could see a regular use for it.

Liked 51 in 26 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post

If you get one, and if you have a template then it'll make life easy, Ron Fox will help you out:

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 89 in 54 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post

I have a good Template. The work involves a repeating curved pattern down both sides of a "plank" about 1000 x 220 x 22mm. There are many pieces to cut. They seem to use Band saws out here to do the job but I am open to advice.

I'm in Austria by the way.

I've been using a good quality Jig Saw to date but having watched a Band Saw the cuts seem to be better with the blade naturally holding the wood on the plate. The nature of the curves required don't really necessitate relief cuts. With the amount of wood in the place I could see a regular use for it.
    Well to be fair it does seem like a bandsaw is the best option, you could tape or even screw the boards together at the ends (leave the boards a bit over length so you can cut the hole the screw makes off after) and cut them in a batch of several at a time.
    Plus if as you say you could make good use out of one after its a worthwhile investment.

I still don't know good makes though.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 17 in 9 posts

I can't really offer much advice as my kit is industrial, but for your work look for a saw that will run a 1/2" wide blade with ease, and then use either a 1/2" or 3/8" blade with either 3 or 4 teeth per inch. Blade quality is going to be the most important thing with cheap kit, and don't touch Saws UK for blades. If you buy blades from a UK source, use Axminster Power Tools.
    The only other bit of advice that I could give, is to buy an old saw rather than a modern one. The components are going to be of better quality, and the saw is more likely to have a sturdy cast iron table.

Probably the best starting point for you would be just look on Youtube and search for Bandsaw set up.

A 1 1/4" blade can cut curves such as these.

1/2" or 3/4" blade will do this.

A 3/8" blade will do this.

Liked 26 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

I spent over 90 on blades with Saws UK, they didn't last at all, I thought it was me.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Startrite Sabre. Woof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should Get Out More
    Liked 17 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    I spent over 90 on blades with Saws UK, they didn't last at all, I thought it was me.
    I can name three other people besides myself who have in the past bought blades from them and all of us would never touch them again.

My experience has been one of incorrect blade lengths supplied, despite written instruction. And several blades that have snapped on the welds as soon as the saw is used. The welds are frequently wrong as well, and the blades rock backwards and forwards, meaning that they cannot be set up properly. Their attitude when I have been in to complain is one of tough shit.

Liked 26 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EddieJ View Post
    I can name three other people besides myself who have in the past bought blades from them and all of us would never touch them again.

My experience has been one of incorrect blade lengths supplied, despite written instruction. And several blades that have snapped on the welds as soon as the saw is used. The welds are frequently wrong as well, and the blades rock backwards and forwards, meaning that they cannot be set up properly. Their attitude when I have been in to complain is one of tough shit.
    Is there anyone apart from Axminster you can recommend? Axminster don't have 130" blades.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 17 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
    Is there anyone apart from Axminster you can recommend? Axminster don't have 130" blades.

Someone did give me a name a few weeks ago, and I promptly lost the details.

Said person is away for a week on hols, but when they return I shall find out for you.

Liked: 1/1

North London Saws are a local place to me, I am 95% sure they supply blades, as well as sharpening bench saw blades.

Liked: 1/1

Bedford Tool & Saw - Tools, Saw Accessories, Woodworking are really nice guys too.

Oh and EddieJ don't what ever you do look here: Traditional Tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum