TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

  1. #1
    Really Bored Noggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Near the top of a mountain - or on someone's sofa :D
    Posts
    4,841
    Like
    263
    Liked 41 in 26 posts

    Default Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I'm 'borrowing' wifi from a chalet but sat in the lobby - too cold for in depth searching!!


    Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    There's about 30 difference - is it worth it or is the standard perfectly fine?

    Thanx x
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Really Bored NigelC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Worthing Sussex
    Posts
    2,484
    Like
    1
    Liked 3 in 3 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    got standard one its fine i think the paper white does exactly that look like it's on white paper not the greyish standard screen

    doesn't really bother me tbh it reads just fine

  4. #3
    Should Get Out More Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in a state of fascinated horror
    Posts
    9,581
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    I'd go for the cheaper one.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

  5. #4
    At Work Lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,942
    Like
    12
    Liked 15 in 11 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    get the paperwhite, the built-in lighting makes reading in bed much better.

    this is from the wife who has the cheap, keyboardless Kindle and a case which has a LED in it.

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More Slenver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,208
    Like
    2
    Liked 8 in 4 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    I've just bought a Paperwhite to replace my non-touch one (with clip-on LED torch). And I love it. The software is much better but the main improvement is obviously the screen. The old ones are fine as long as you're in a bright environment, the Paperwhite is great whatever the lighting. You have to adjust the light manually but has 20-odd degrees of brightness so you can get a nice, soft glow however dark or light the room is. I'm normally in semi-darkness at home so it suits me much better.

    Definitely worth the extra. I gave my old one to the missus who hasn't had one before. The novelty would've lasted longer except she was insanely jealous of my new one within about 10 seconds.

  7. #6
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,526
    Like
    163
    Liked 55 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slenver View Post
    I've just bought a Paperwhite to replace my non-touch one (with clip-on LED torch). And I love it. The software is much better but the main improvement is obviously the screen. The old ones are fine as long as you're in a bright environment, the Paperwhite is great whatever the lighting. You have to adjust the light manually but has 20-odd degrees of brightness so you can get a nice, soft glow however dark or light the room is. I'm normally in semi-darkness at home so it suits me much better.

    Definitely worth the extra. I gave my old one to the missus who hasn't had one before. The novelty would've lasted longer except she was insanely jealous of my new one within about 10 seconds.
    I have both an original and a Fire HD and I'm afraid I can't agree. The old grey screen is much more comfortable in just about every light. The only time the paperwhite is better is, unsurprisingly, in the dark.

    But hey, diff'rent strokes and all that.

  8. #7
    Should Get Out More Slenver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,208
    Like
    2
    Liked 8 in 4 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    I have both an original and a Fire HD and I'm afraid I can't agree. The old grey screen is much more comfortable in just about every light. The only time the paperwhite is better is, unsurprisingly, in the dark.

    But hey, diff'rent strokes and all that.
    Not sure how you mean really; the Paperwhite is basically the same as the grey screen when the light is off, it just gains the ability to have the light on. And what's the Fire got to do with it, we're just talking about actual Kindles I think...

  9. #8
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,526
    Like
    163
    Liked 55 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Ooops. Might be confusing the issue. I was under the impression that the Fire HD screen was the same as the paperwhite. Having done a quick bit of digging I am wrong and you are right. I do apologise.

  10. #9
    Should Get Out More Slenver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,208
    Like
    2
    Liked 8 in 4 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Ooops. Might be confusing the issue. I was under the impression that the Fire HD screen was the same as the paperwhite. Having done a quick bit of digging I am wrong and you are right. I do apologise.
    Nooooooo The Fire is just a standard tablet - tbh, they really messed up calling it a Kindle I think, just confuses people.

  11. #10
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,526
    Like
    163
    Liked 55 in 37 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Yes, I've just found all that out. That's why it hurts my eyes instead of my nice, traditional Kindle! I apologise, once again, for ruining an otherwise exemplary thread!

  12. #11
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,182
    Like
    3
    Liked 215 in 98 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    I bought myself a Kindle paperwhite as a birthday prezzie (it launched in the UK on my birthday). Simply brilliant.

    So far I haven't had to wind the brightness much past half way. The screen is superb and the unit remains very light. I have devoured a number of books sometimes in marathon sessions without any eyestrain.

    Recommended. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want an unlit electronic screen, for me it's the prime reason for having an electronic device in the first place. I don't dislike books, I dislike having to manoeuvre a light every time I want to shift my reading position, usually while lying prone in bed.

    Scrrwd.

  13. #12
    Should Get Out More Slenver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,208
    Like
    2
    Liked 8 in 4 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Yes, I've just found all that out. That's why it hurts my eyes instead of my nice, traditional Kindle! I apologise, once again, for ruining an otherwise exemplary thread!
    Haha, I'm sure you'r forgiven by all

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I bought myself a Kindle paperwhite as a birthday prezzie (it launched in the UK on my birthday). Simply brilliant.

    So far I haven't had to wind the brightness much past half way. The screen is superb and the unit remains very light. I have devoured a number of books sometimes in marathon sessions without any eyestrain.

    Recommended. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want an unlit electronic screen, for me it's the prime reason for having an electronic device in the first place. I don't dislike books, I dislike having to manoeuvre a light every time I want to shift my reading position, usually while lying prone in bed.

    Scrrwd.
    I find that the dimmer I can comfortably have it, the better. In complete darkness it works well enough on around 2 or 3 (I think), but up a but more in semi-darkness. Seems to be best when you're barely aware of light as such, it just glows softly enough that it becomes easily readable.

    Been using it loads more than my old one - the one issue I really had with it was that I like to read in the evening and in bed and it's usually pretty dark. As a bonus, the updated OS is much improved, some of the new features like X-Ray are pretty cool (when present), and the touchscreen works better than I expected it too after the older button model.

    I say 'using it more'. That was before those bastards at Supercell got me addicted to both Clash of Clans and the stupid farming game

  14. #13
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,182
    Like
    3
    Liked 215 in 98 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slenver View Post
    ...and the stupid farming game
    ooh, I must have a look at that.

    LOL.

  15. #14
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    33.7 S, 151.1E
    Posts
    10,886
    Like
    96
    Liked 99 in 57 posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Recommended. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want an unlit electronic screen, for me it's the prime reason for having an electronic device in the first place. I don't dislike books, I dislike having to manoeuvre a light every time I want to shift my reading position, usually while lying prone in bed.
    .
    Don't any of you people have bedside lights?

  16. #15
    At Work Lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,942
    Like
    12
    Liked 15 in 11 posts

    Default Re: Kindle (not touch screen) or Kindle Paperwhite?

    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Don't any of you people have bedside lights?
    they're so 1990s, dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum