TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vfr1200

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    times

Default Vfr1200

Hey All,

Looking for a workhorse bike which is good for pillion, luggage, motorway etc. It seems to have got crap reviews in some places but locally there are: 2012, less than 2k miles for under 9k. Seems like good money for the bike?

I know the bike has known issues but for under 9k for nearly new? What do people think?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    times

Default Re: Vfr1200

I actually quite fancy the cross tourer, which is essentially the same lump but detuned with adventure bike clothes.

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    times

I understand the complaints but its nearly new for less than 9k. Not sure what else is comparable? The K1300 seems to be 2k more expensive for the same year and mileage.

Liked
    times

Warranty and recalls will sort it.

I quite like them hacksherley.

The Honda Haterz will be along shortly no doubt

Liked
    times

Excellent bikes in many ways.

Tank is a little small, but manageable.

They are a sports tourer, so still a reasonably sporty position (ergonomically speaking).

The Honda luggage is small.

If you drop one (stationary drop) it'll cost 2k - plastics are expensive

They're heavy.

They're also fast, very stable, sound lovely and genuinely quick - 70 on a Mway feels the same as 100+.

I had one for about 18 months - put 10k miles on it. It was a great bike and I was sorry to see it go - problem was me getting too old and creaky to be comfortable on it. Try one and see for yourself.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

I had heard of the so called tank range issue.... I but what other issues ? I have not heard of any myself.... quiet like them really, fancy trying the DCT model.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    I had heard of the so called tank range issue.... I but what other issues ? I have not heard of any myself.... quiet like them really, fancy trying the DCT model.
    Go for it then

Saw one on track in the wet up at snetterton, it was circulating pretty quickly, sounded nice too..

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    times

tank range seems to be the main complaint. I'm on a street triple at the moment and only ever had one issue when in Wales, everything shut on a Sunday! Luckily made it across the border and found a Tesco

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    tank range seems to be the main complaint. I'm on a street triple at the moment and only ever had one issue when in Wales, everything shut on a Sunday! Luckily made it across the border and found a Tesco
    I toured France on a VTR that had 115 mile max range - the guys on street triples and Sprints with me didn't mind stopping (you've got to check a map, have a fag, go for a piss etc sometime)!

Oh, and we rode in France on Sundays too.

Complaining about range is daft. if you want to do 250 miles without stopping, buy a GS BMW with a fat tank (or a C90 with a half full Jerry can in the topbox).

Liked
    times

By the way, it takes an awful lot of bike to beat a Street Triple

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    times

yeah, I agree, cant see it been an issue. I think the initial hype maybe lead to the negative reviews ...

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    yeah, I agree, cant see it been an issue. I think the initial hype maybe lead to the negative reviews ...
    Expectations vs. reality - What is the range on one of them anyway?

EDIT: I looked it up and it appears to be around 150 miles unless you are ragging it. Not up there with the big tourers but bollocks, its far enough!

Liked
    times

I personally know of three 2010 bikes (two of which i occassionally ride) that have had serious issues. All three have had the rear suspension units changed under warranty as the damping goes to pot when they get hot and the adjusters seized. Of the two i ride one of them had a new engine at 4000 miles as it simply went pop (work done under warranty). And only three weeks ago it had the front discs and calipers replaced under warranty. Then the other one I ride had both discs replaced under warranty last week. Both have shitty fuelling at low revs. 1st gear is too low for low speed filtering and the tank range is crap-never bettered 130 miles but have done 180 on a GSX-R1000 a few times . On the plus side they are comfortable.

I wouldn't touch one-but maybe the newer models with traction control ars better.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    I personally know of three 2010 bikes (two of which i occassionally ride) that have had serious issues. All three have had the rear suspension units changed under warranty as the damping goes to pot when they get hot and the adjusters seized. Of the two i ride one of them had a new engine at 4000 miles as it simply went pop (work done under warranty). And only three weeks ago it had the front discs and calipers replaced under warranty. Then the other one I ride had both discs replaced under warranty last week. Both have shitty fuelling at low revs. 1st gear is too low for low speed filtering and the tank range is crap-never bettered 130 miles but have done 180 on a GSX-R1000 a few times . On the plus side they are comfortable.

I wouldn't touch one-but maybe the newer models with traction control ars better.
    Are you particularly unlucky?

A work colleague has one and indeed he complains of low-rev fuelling, compounded by the fact that the shaft is jerky at low speeds. That makes town riding harder work than it needs to be. But as the OP wants it to tour, that's probably a non-issue.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked
    times

The earlier models had fuelling problems at lower revs. It was (mostly) sorted by a (free) remap.

Still had to feather it with the clutch at lower speeds more than with other bikes though.

I wouldn't pick one as a commuter, but then that's not what the OP wants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum