TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Simple audio mixing software - suggestions?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 6 in 5 posts

Question Simple audio mixing software - suggestions?

What I'm looking for is a SIMPLE piece of audio mixing software. What I want to do is play an mp3 track whilst at the same time I record an audio file via the mic, and output the result as a single mp3 file.

I've found a bunch of heavy duty 'professional quality' studio mixing desk type of softwares, which even if I could understand how to use them would be like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

Any suggestions?

Ideally freeware!

Ta in advance!
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 44 in 32 posts

Default Re: Simple audio mixing software - suggestions?

Audacity. Invest half an hour in learning the basics, it will be time well spent. There are loads of good, simple video tutorials around for it, it's brilliant software, and completely free.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 6 in 5 posts

OK, I'll take another look at it... one thing I forgot to mention, I am using Windows of the XP flavour - would no doubt have helped if I'd mentioned it

Thanks!

Liked 44 in 32 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    OK, I'll take another look at it... one thing I forgot to mention, I am using Windows of the XP flavour - would no doubt have helped if I'd mentioned it

Thanks!
    It will run fine on XP.

Liked 29 in 11 posts

Or

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

$60 ......but might be over the top for your needs?

Not Much To Do
    Liked
    4/1

Audacity +1

Should Get Out More
    Liked 6 in 5 posts

I thought I'd put a reply up to this but it seems to have gone missing, or I might have imagined it

Reaper looks the business but dunno what most of it does

I need to read the help files I guess

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Audacity + another 1.

Not tried it for mixing though, but it can do it.

Liked 29 in 11 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    I thought I'd put a reply up to this but it seems to have gone missing, or I might have imagined it

Reaper looks the business but dunno what most of it does

I need to read the help files I guess
    I suppose the best way of looking at reaper is its like pro tools but without the price tag. The $60 licence is less than half the pro tools starter.
    At the end of the day its all software. Pro tools no longer only works with pro tools hardware (the interface where you plug in mics, guitars and the like, as well as a monitor path to listen to your recordings and mixes) but you have to pay a hefty premium to start at that level, all the previous and cheaper versions of protools, seven and eight, require that you use protools propriety hardware as well. Reaper offers excellent value for money with pro tool "like" functionality.

Choose your hard ware very carefully that is the way in and out of the software driven devices, how many mics do you want at the same time? how many monitor paths etc etc. For music production Cuebase and Logic are industry runners as well, again its all software with the hardware chosen to suit your application. And pricy.

I have an old pro tools eight, with an mbox interface, the software's great the interface less so, I may be persuaded to loan it if it really fits what you want to do. I now use protools 10 and am 3K away from that version 8. The interface allows you to record one Mic at once with a stereo monitor mix and one head phone socket, it has phantom power on the Mic channel and a line input on the second channel, which if you have an outboard mic pre amp will get you two mic inputs at once.

As you can see its pretty limited if you wanted to record a band! but will let you mix loads of tracks "in the box" its just getting in an out that costs the money.

Hope this helps focus what you really want to get out of a home system.

BTW if you want physical faders to mix with again its a pricy thing to get.... but there are some fader apps for the ipad that a friend of mine
    mixes with. Give me a shout before you start shelling out dosh I have a lot of contacts in the mixing world.
    Last edited by rodbargee; 20-03-13 at 19:34.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 6 in 5 posts

Will read, digest and ponder... thanks for the tips...

Go Back to Forum My Forum