TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Recommend me an all in one printer

Liked 48 in 38 posts

Default Recommend me an all in one printer

It's another 'Recommend me' thread, which I thoroughly love.

I have an old Epson Stylus Photo 900 which won't work on a Windows 7 computer and it's almost out of colour ink anyway. Also have a scanner, that's not out of ink as it doesn't use ink, but probably won't work on W7 either, but I don't use it much.

Getting cheap now aren't they? So thought I'd just get an all in one jobbie to save space.

Requirements aren't often to exceed A4, would like something that'd print photo quality and able to go on a network as a stand alone printer.

Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 143 in 102 posts

Default Re: Recommend me an all in one printer

They're all shit, but the least shit one I've ever owned was a Brother, it's 5 years old, still works and the ink is pretty cheap, dunno what the modern version is like.

Liked 151 in 119 posts

They start at 40 quid in Tesco. They have a nice Kodak one at 50 that should do what it says on the tin

Buy Kodak 3.1 Printer. from our Inkjet Printers range - Tesco.com

Liked 0 in 0 posts

the kodak one is ok but for a bit cheaper the hp 3050a wifi one for 35 is a cracking bit of kit, 2 carts which i use tescos large black and large colour cost me 21 for both cant grumble for a wifi printer with cracking photo quality to boot!
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 42 in 35 posts

I have given up with home all in one printers, if you print regularly it gets very expensive. If you only print occasionally then the heads dry up and you don't bother replacing them for the occasional print job as they will just dry up again.
    I spent about 400 on a SOHO colour laser printer and it's lasted about 8 years so far, the toners are expensive but I haven't needed to replace any yet.

Liked 118 in 84 posts

Kodak come out as the cheapest to use in a lot of tests.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 37 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    I have given up with home all in one printers, if you print regularly it gets very expensive. If you only print occasionally then the heads dry up and you don't bother replacing them for the occasional print job as they will just dry up again.
    I spent about 400 on a SOHO colour laser printer and it's lasted about 8 years so far, the toners are expensive but I haven't needed to replace any yet.
    I have 2 fairly recent HP all in one inkjet printers. I refill them by just dripping ink from generic ink bottles onto the foam of the cartridge*.
    If running infrequently I'll run the head cleaning.
    Have been doing this for over a year and it makes the printers very cheap to run.
    Probably not best if you're doing photos on them but works for normal office use.

* yes, I'm fully Scottish now!

Liked 95 in 66 posts

I just bought an HP 5524 Photosmart. 89.99 and came with an extra pack of Ink cartridges.

Paid 15 extra for a 36 month instant swap warranty at PC World.

Will unpack it and set up this morning and report back

EDIT: You don't even have to RTFM - it plays a video on display. Cool !

Liked 112 in 71 posts

I've got an HP Officejet 6310 (an older version of this sorta thing HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Multifunction Ref CM749A#BEV) and I use it all day every day and have done for 5 years. Reasonable size cartridges, very reliable, I'd buy another similar HP in a heartbeat. Curiously when I was around a mate's house he has a similarly aged one of the same model, still going strong.

Liked 48 in 38 posts

I'm back in the market for one of thses

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...m?CMPID=GS001&

that one fits the bill, though a little more expensive, but it has an auto document feeder and automatic double sided printing.
    Last edited by Ant; 22-11-14 at 08:56. Reason: Linky woo

Liked 151 in 119 posts

One in a million Tart Silly Car's Avatar
    Liked 48 in 38 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I've got an HP Officejet 6310 (an older version of this sorta thing HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Multifunction Ref CM749A#BEV) and I use it all day every day and have done for 5 years. Reasonable size cartridges, very reliable, I'd buy another similar HP in a heartbeat. Curiously when I was around a mate's house he has a similarly aged one of the same model, still going strong.
    I've got the 8600, great machine, massive cartridge capacity and duplex printing.

Liked 46 in 24 posts

I'd chip in with HP6700, does all the usual, double sided etc, and i can email it docs to print from anywhere.

Liked 112 in 71 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    I've got the 8600, great machine, massive cartridge capacity and duplex printing.
    Sadly the 6310 became really temperamental shortly after - so I offed it to the loft and replaced with a 6700. Pretty good so far, although I detest the piddly separate colour cartridges ...

Liked 38 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Getting cheap now aren't they?
    Printers now come with "sample cartridges" which are 10% full. So whatever the price of the printer is, add on the cost of a full set of cartridges too.

Personally I wouldn't bother with home photo printing. I've toyed with it on and off for years, but compared with just taking a memory stick to boots it's really poor. It's slow, very expensive in terms of ink and paper, the results are never as good and the end result fades more quickly.

HP for printers. We've had a 7310 all-in-one for many years and it always prints well, the cartridges never dry out even if it's only used once a fortnight. It has two scanners built-in, one for sheetfeed and a flatbed, which are decent enough.

But finally, your Epson will work on Windows 7. You need to download the driver separately
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...Type=Downloads

Go Back to Forum My Forum