TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Local Business Conferences

Liked 167 in 111 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Local Business Conferences

I'm exhibiting at one in a few weeks time ...

- to try to promote my new small business.

Does anyone here have experience of such things ? It's in Reading, and "Berkshire" is in the title, so it is quite small scale I think...

I have three main fantasies about the whole thing.

1. I sit forlorn and lonely for 6 or 7 hours and no-one talks to me or asks me anything.
    2. I'm, if not the full-on life-and-soul figure, at least getting some interest, and some of that turns into a few orders.
    3. This like really hunky guy, you can see he works out a lot, yeh, comes over and...

No. I'm not going there. Just stick to points 1 and 2 please, if you have relevant experience.

If you have nothing but snideness, please don't feel obliged to bother

But it's up to you, obviously...
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Default Re: Local Business Conferences

I would speak to Riceburners Partner... She seems quite good at this kind of thing

How are you exhibiting? Shell scheme? Table? Whatchagot?

Liked 76 in 43 posts

You will be inundated with other small business holders hoping to interest you in their business.. sadly not many will be genuinely interested in yours unless you are giving stuff away or have something unique....
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More Wreckless Rat's Avatar
    Liked 227 in 120 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BananaMan View Post
    3. This like really hunky guy, you can see he works out a lot, yeh, comes over and...

Sorry mate.... I can't make it.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 199 in 96 posts

Whatever you do, if somebody asks for PoC of the proiducts, see some projected figures, ask for a detailed demo....

...just don't tell them that that's all covered in that fucking book of yours, eh.

Liked 167 in 111 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
    I would speak to Riceburners Partner... She seems quite good at this kind of thing

How are you exhibiting? Shell scheme? Table? Whatchagot?
    It's a table.

I might put a display board behind it. I have some laminated slide things, intended for use in meetings where there's no laptop or projector, but they will serve for this too I think. I preach re-use and modularity, so ...

I can also run some business games. And / or offer free use of my creativity techniques to help solve business problems... Obviously not really "solving" there and then, but at least offering an insight into how I work, to whet appetites... And it would be more entertaining than most, I'm hoping... ? Beckers might be able to comment, without infringing my IPR

Should Get Out More
    Liked 149 in 110 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    You will be inundated with other small business holders hoping to interest you in their business.. sadly not many will be genuinely interested in yours unless you are giving stuff away or have something unique....
    Some may even allow you to give a sales pitch to them, just as a favour like, but real sales ............you're 'avin a giraffe.

Liked 147 in 99 posts

You need to be able to answer, for any person you talk to, what you have to offer them, what will improve their business, what will save or - even better - make money for them.

When you can do that, then accost people (nicely) and find out why they're there, what they do, etc. That will:
    1. Catch them off-guard, they'll be expecting the hard sell
    2. Allow you to . . . [return to start of this post]

Liked 52 in 34 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    You need to be able to answer, for any person you talk to, what you have to offer them, what will improve their business, what will save or - even better - make money for them.

When you can do that, then accost people (nicely) and find out why they're there, what they do, etc. That will:
    1. Catch them off-guard, they'll be expecting the hard sell
    2. Allow you to . . . [return to start of this post]
    This.

AND get an exhibitor list prior to the event, research the others and decide which you will target. Prepare a case for your top 7-10 and impress the heck out of them!

Liked 36 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BananaMan View Post
    It's a table.
    Don't stand behind it - you don't want any barriers between you and potential punters.

Put it against the wall or turn it sideways and use it as a holder of relevant, nicely laid out info about what you do.

Pop up banners can be got for 100-ish. Great for getting your message across and attracting people to your pitch.

Treat it as a networking event rather than a full on sales assault. Lots of short and sweet contacts with lots of people will serve you better in the long term IMO. Prepare a concise, informative description of what you do to grab people's attention before they nod off.

Make sure you get their business cards and follow up on it within two days whilst it's still fresh in their mind.

What's the new business?

Liked 537 in 317 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dickymint View Post
    What's the new business?
    Rubbish websites

Liked 36 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    Rubbish websites
    Presumably with somebody a bit... ermmmm... speedier on the copywriting front...

Go Back to Forum My Forum