TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not-so-stoopid Flanders: Should Britain let go of London?

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked
    times

Default Not-so-stoopid Flanders: Should Britain let go of London?

Interesting piece from Steph on the London/Rest of the UK divide.

BBC News - Should Britain let go of London?

Discuss.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    times

Default Re: Not-so-stoopid Flanders: Should Britain let go of London?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Flanders
    By the end, I couldn't help thinking that it's not London that the rest of the country has a problem with - it's the UK's over-centralised system of government. For generations, officials in Whitehall have taken more and more power away from Britain's cities - and trusted them less and less.
    Why make a whole article about how the country would be better off without London, then conclude that you didn't ask the right question?

Typical woman shifting the goalposts as soon as you give an answer (whether she likes it or not is irrelevant).
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked
    times

London has sucked the wealth out of the rest of this country and now it is suggested they go it alone because the rest of the country is dragging them down. Fuck off wanker.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by 1913 View Post
    London has sucked the wealth out of the rest of this country and now it is suggested they go it alone because the rest of the country is dragging them down. Fuck off wanker.
    Not up for a day trip to see the sights and enjoy some jellied eels and a cockney walkabout then, guv'nor?

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Not up for a day trip to see the sights and enjoy some jellied eels and a cockney walkabout then, guv'nor?
    No.

Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

far from my area of expertise & much more yours Gremlin, but now all we seem to be any good at is Financial Services & featherbedding our own beds as politicians & mandarins, it's hardly much of a surprise that the best facilities & much more are there. Wander around the old cities which at one point had so much dosh through their hands & you can see architectural evidence of wealth & power & TBF they're having a go at it. In the last 15 years or so. Salford used (prolly still does) one of the best Unis in the country but was pretty rough. I've knocked about the quays briefly-it's not bad but it feels like an add-on. Ditto that stab at it in Leeds. Sterile. I could spend at least a year exploring London. I think I'd have run out by June anywhere else here.

Remind me again just why BBC has relocated a fair chucnk to Salford? Is it like a posting to DVLC Swansea for a civil servant?

Should Get Out More Thermostat9's Avatar
    Liked
    times

If London goes it alone can we build an Israeli style wall around it to keep the fuckers in there and charge the scum in Shit City for the energy and water they will have to import from England?

Liked
    times

Gremlin. Did you listen? Still available. Quite good.

BBC Radio 4 - Inside the Bonus Culture

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat9 View Post
    If London goes it alone can we build an Israeli style wall around it to keep the fuckers in there and charge the scum in Shit City for the energy and water they will have to import from England?
    Fine, as long as you promise to keep your fat ugly women.

Liked
    times

The premis of the article is 'an opinion of a friend, American, working in the City'.
    Fuck off, forrin mouthy leech/guest is probably the bestest answer.

Of course City bankers want all of London, just so long as the service drones are cheap enough and stay well-away when they're not cleaning and emptying bins.

Stephanie Flanders looks like a man in drag and gives me the creeps anyway.
    Last edited by DefTrap; 26-03-13 at 17:53.

The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked
    times

Meh, how long before it floods anyway?

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Gremlin. Did you listen? Still available. Quite good.

BBC Radio 4 - Inside the Bonus Culture
    Listened to the first five mins. Have bookmarked it and will listen when I can get the proverbial broom extracted.

Ta.

Liked
    times

Splendid frothing chaps.

I think her conclusions are spot on; I'm all for more devolution of power to cities. In ye olde times (Victorian I think) the cities/Local Authorities were responsible for a lot more than now. I think the bloke from Birmingham council has a good point in that it would force people to stop complaining and do something.

Has to be a proper transfer of power though rather than just words...

Anyone from outside London who thinks it's all nice n rich should head out east - a real shithole to rival anywhere in the rest of the country.

Liked
    times

Odd then, that the referendums to devolve power through elected mayors got the heave-ho when punted around a few years back. Granted the prospect of a Ken/Boris may have put them off, but I would have thought such anti-London feelings would have given rise to a resounding 'yes'.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    Odd then, that the referendums to devolve power through elected mayors got the heave-ho when punted around a few years back. Granted the prospect of a Ken/Boris may have put them off, but I would have thought such anti-London feelings would have given rise to a resounding 'yes'.
    I think people thought it was basically window dressing - the mayors were more figureheads than anything. BoJo has some impressive powers though doesn't he?

I'm not anti-london, more 'how can we make Manchester boom so we have a similar level of opportunity as in London' or something...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum