TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Scalextric Fans

Liked 211 in 152 posts

Default Scalextric Fans

Is your track as good as this one?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 10 in 7 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Scalextric Fans

Cool but not as cool as Aurora. Those babys hardly ever came off the tracks.

Liked 128 in 70 posts
    Blog Entries

We had about 30 metres of track when we lived in Germany - had it set up in our huge attic. Not as much track as that guy but plenty for my two lads.
    Last edited by Yambo; 26-03-13 at 22:07.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 55 in 23 posts

In the words of my wife... "I bet that he has an anorak and a squeaky voice"

Liked 85 in 56 posts
    Blog Entries

I played on this one a bit when I was a kid

Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 67 in 32 posts
    Blog Entries

I've had two bouts of proper slot-car racing. I did it for a few years in Somerset when I was about 14 until I was about 20. And then I joined a club in Surrey about 10 years ago and raced for another few years - until the bike racing started soaking up all my time and money. it wasn't Scalextric though - it was 24th and 32nd scale hand made cars on a permanent track. The track has a smooth surface, and the cars have foam rear wheels, which are doped with a traction compound. These cars are fast!

Here's the track at the Coulsdon club.

Liked 3 in 3 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trogladyte View Post
    I've had two bouts of proper slot-car racing. I did it for a few years in Somerset when I was about 14 until I was about 20. And then I joined a club in Surrey about 10 years ago and raced for another few years - until the bike racing started soaking up all my time and money. it wasn't Scalextric though - it was 24th and 32nd scale hand made cars on a permanent track. The track has a smooth surface, and the cars have foam rear wheels, which are doped with a traction compound. These cars are fast!

Serious slot car racer in my time, used to race at Oaklands Park (Smethwick) mostly, but also Coventry on occasion and Sutton Coldfield when it was still functioning. Trips to North London, Vauxhall and even the Nationals one year.

Still got all my stuff but it's in a sorry state now, at least 25 years since it's seen any action.

Liked 8 in 7 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trogladyte View Post

I did it for a Year or two in Liverpool when I was about 15. We had a 100ft Four lane twisty plywood track with hills. I also went to Area meetings in Chester YMCA, and Ashton under Lyme. It was all under the Auspices of the ECRA. It was Sandtex Track surface when I started but then we resurfaced it with Polyurethane gloss when the fashion changed. It was chaos until the goop layer was fully bedded in!
    Our Club Time keeper was Laurie Cranshaw who was head Timekeeper at Oulton Park, how cool is that? I made all my own cars from scratch but unfortunately sold them all for a pittance to help finance my first motorbike.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 175 in 121 posts
    Blog Entries

Mrs. D and I are having a big ol' Scalextric set as part of the entertainment at our wedding reception. T'wasn't even my idea, she's great like that! We're working in the theory that everyone, 'specially when they've had a few, likes a bit of nostalgic slot carring.

Liked 26 in 17 posts

Lad I went to school with had a layout at least twice the size of that. He lived in a huge house and it had a basement room that was at least 40' by 20' and the track filled it. It was great fun, though you did get sick of having to get up and run to the otherside of the room when your car left the track.

In a room of the basement that was only half the size his old man had an amazing train track set up too.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Wow!

At Work
    Liked 14 in 6 posts

This place is just a mile up the road from us, Electric Tracks Presents, Scalextric Racing

We haven't been for a good while, but it is fun, digital timing on all tracks with fastest laps etc. The Donnington Park layout is impressive, but it is a long way to put your car back on if you crash in the melbourne loop.

Go Back to Forum My Forum