TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia Caponord 1200 & on bike technology

Liked 5 in 5 posts

Default Aprilia Caponord 1200 & on bike technology

I've been reading a few reviews on the new Caponord 1200, and it says this about the pre-load

2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 | Review

Auto mode is actually all you will ever need on this motorcycle. The ADD system is able to adjust load and suspension by detecting weight, making automatic adjustments based on additions such as a passenger or extra luggage.

According to Apriliaís engineers, all other mode selections except Auto Mode are purely a gimmick to make riders think they contribute.
    this is just one part of the clever system in the suspension/ABS/Traction control etc. but then this bit really got me thinking..

I also got to test Apriliaís latest iPhone app, which will be available from May 2013. This gives you access to an unbelievable amount of more or less interesting real time data from the engine such as torque, power, revs (which you have on the original dash anyway mind) and percentage of power in use at all times.

The application also features a highly sophisticated engine saving rev alerter, and the whole dash goes red if youíre using higher revs than the engine likes while warming up. This feature got the potential to increase engine longevity and optimize fuel consumption.

While riding with this applicatio, itís easy to become completely OCD in regards of lowering fuel consumption and taking care of the engine. Itís completely fascinating to follow the torque figures in real time, also, to see exactly how much you are using. I was genuinely surprised about how little torque is needed to cruise along at 60 mph in sixth gear, or how much is needed to increase speed again.
    where will the loading of tech lead to, and how soon will it before we're getting stories of broken down bikes due to the rear pre-load computer thingy turning the back of the bike into a real pogo stick?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 5 in 5 posts

Default Re: Aprilia Caponord 1200 & on bike technology

I 'appen to think it's quite a good lookin bike as well, bare in mind that I think the Tuono (Mk1 & 2) are damn fine looking things as well

(sorry if the link hasn't worked, I'm on a propper crappy computer system)

Liked 0 in 0 posts

The new KTM 1190 Adventure has no less that four seperate ECU's controlling.....well, whatever it is they control. Four things you can't sort by the side of the road. The future is here.

Hoping to get my hands on the new Caponord for a day or so very soon.

Liked 5 in 5 posts

Quote Originally Posted by whysub View Post
    The new KTM 1190 Adventure has no less that four seperate ECU's controlling.....well, whatever it is they control. Four things you can't sort by the side of the road. The future is here.

Hoping to get my hands on the new Caponord for a day or so very soon.
    will you be getting the cooking version or the one with all these fancy electicery gizmo's, whichever it is please do a write up.

I'm looking at the pictures thinking that this could be my ideal bike, V-twin, 125bhp, comfort, handling, luggage if I want to carry anything and really good for the nipper to ride pillion

At Work
    Liked 8 in 3 posts

More bloatware, and this from a company that cant make a bike last more than a week without a battery charge.

How are you supposed to look at an Iphone app while you're riding?

Liked 18 in 13 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tafflade View Post
    I 'appen to think it's quite a good lookin bike as well, bare in mind that I think the Tuono (Mk1 & 2) are damn fine looking things as well

It looks like the Predator. Ugly mofo.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 4 in 2 posts

Overcomplicted croc'o'shite!

Liked 5 in 5 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    It looks like the Predator. Ugly mofo.

It's bound to create a bit of a marmite reaction, beauty is in the eyes.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    Overcomplicted
    maybe, but this sort of technology is the future, the multistrada has a similar system, it's just gonna get more widespread from the other manufacturers.

croc'o'shite!
    really? how so? which bit? that's not the reactions of the test riding jouno's that have actually ridden the thing.

Liked 4 in 2 posts

It's bound to create a bit of a marmite reaction, beauty is in the eyes.......

maybe, but this sort of technology is the future, the multistrada has a similar system, it's just gonna get more widespread from the other manufacturers.

really? how so? which bit? that's not the reactions of the test riding jouno's that have actually ridden the thing.
    A Suzuki VStrom will do everything the Aprilia can at a fraction of the cost and will(more than likely) be much more reliable and less hassle to get bits for.
    I can't help but think the manufacters(sic?) are trying to convince the buying public that they really need active suspension when the reality is that 99% of the time a well suspended 'normal' bike will do the same job.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

will you be getting the cooking version or the one with all these fancy electicery gizmo's, whichever it is please do a write up.
    Not sure what demo they have so could be either.

A Suzuki VStrom will do everything the Aprilia can at a fraction of the cost and will(more than likely) be much more reliable and less hassle to get bits for.
    I can't help but think the manufacters(sic?) are trying to convince the buying public that they really need active suspension when the reality is that 99% of the time a well suspended 'normal' bike will do the same job.
    I have a V-Strom 1000 at the moment. Fine bike, ugly as sin (no uglier that the Caponord though), but I can't see that when I'm in the saddle. But it is missing that something-so looking at something else.

Tried out the Guzzi Stelvio 1200 the other week-absolutely great bike. Handles brilliantly, lovely engine, quick. Gets fantastic reviews from press and owners alike. Tried the new BMW GS1200. It had loads of electronic suspension adjustments, but couldn't really notice much difference between them all (but could tell comfort from sport but there are hald a dozen settings). Hopefully will get a ride on the KTM Adventure this weekendm although I was very disappointed with the earlier model I had for a week or so-the fuelling was hopeless.

Won't be able to afford a new one, but will in a couple of years. Things are a bit difficult at the moment but looking at getting an older GS1200 to use until then, although if I have to keep with the V-Strom for another couple of years it won't be a problem.

I have had several Italian bikes from a 31/2 Morini via an RSV, a Dorsoduro and now a Guzzi 1200 Sport. None have been any less reliable than my V-Strom, nor suffered corrosion or poor finish (OK, the Morini was a bit iffy, but it was made in 1974). Maybe I'm lucky, or it maybe that Italian bikes are not at all as unreliable as people say, sometime those people don't own, or have never owned one.

Liked 67 in 47 posts

If Suzuki bought out a good looking and lass lardy looking Vstrom at a decent price I reckon they'd sell by the bucket load.

Quite like that Capanord though

Liked 5 in 5 posts

I understand what you are saying, once the power and chasis developments have reached a plateu, where do they go next? one thing is for sure though, the manufacturer that sits on his hands doing nothing to advance the bikes he produces, is the manufacturer that loses sales to his competitor, and that is not a sustainable business model.

there is something that the caponord does over your suzuki though, and that is the auto preload adjustment, the traction control and (I think) ABS, lets not forget the switchable power maps either.

so comparing your Vstrom to the Caponord is like comparing an old skool land rover discovery to the most modernest disco 4, yes they can do the same job of driving off road, but one has technology that can either make things easier for the driver or it can do it better

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Actually it will do a better job if its set yo for the individual.
    These electronic systems use settings that an engineer has determined are the best for the riders weight.
    If suspension setup was so black and white nobody would get it wrong in the race paddocks of the world would they?
    An engineer would do his sums and everyone would be riding on perfect settings.
    Throw in the humps, bumps and imperfections of the average UK road and these systems are often miles off what could be attained with well set up standard suspension. You can't set them up how YOU want them to feel....

Liked 55 in 41 posts

An Austin Mini will do everything a BMW 740 will, essentially. But look at how car development has gone - even the cheapest, most basic cars now are incredibly complex, electronically, compared to even just 15 years ago. It's called progress, I think...
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 148 in 60 posts
    Blog Entries

It looks hideous and like something an old man would consider cool. Like an angular scooter and about as far removed from a motorbike (which lets face it is where real design is going) as a scooter.

I don't see the merit in getting HAL 3000 to run a bike. I don't care if an engineer (?!) has aesthetically calculated how many micrograms of weight my belt buckle will add to the unsprung weight. It's dull. It is too clinical and it is dull. No soul nor imagination and ffs why don't bike designers bring in something fresh aside from really grrr angular plastic front ends? I'm not a 14 year old Japanese boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum