TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are "adventure bikes" the UJMs of the 21st century?

At Work
    Liked 10 in 7 posts

Default Are "adventure bikes" the UJMs of the 21st century?

Just read the VD review of the CB500X thingy and thought to myself, "god thats aweful", really it is, then it struck me that so is the crosstourer, as is the GS1200, as is the GS800 as is the Triumph version and the Ducati version as well .... kawasaki, suzuki, yamahaha and so on.

Given that I have a history of likeing frighteningly ugly bikes (X11) and have ridden some farily unusual machines as well (road legal CR500SM anyone) I think that the trend of modern bikes, certainly in the big 4 to go with this psuedo trail bike look while retaining road manners etc is turning so much of what we ride now into that classic, the UJM.

That is to be taken with a pinch of salt/irony - what uniqueness is there now? Nothing stimulates the senses more than a new bike but really, they are all the same, and boring at that. I know we still have the 1ltr, 200mph, 170bhp sportsbikes, but they are and always will be for a select few (those who use them as they are meant to be used rather than metal and plastic cock extensions).

Where are the Brittons of this world? What happened to Mr Honda? Where has the inspiration gone?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 55 in 37 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are "adventure bikes" the UJMs of the 21st century?

I RLAC on an R1

I may be interested in something like a Superduke in the near future though as playing at 3 figure speeds on a sportsbike is getting evermore iffy as the roads crowd further every day and licence realted luck can only last so long...

But then that to me is an ideal compromise between a useable distance bike like the R1 and a Supermoto toy bike that cant go any real distance.

I think these bikes are about compromise which many riders need to make biking a viable option for them these days.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 109 in 57 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Martian View Post
    I RLAC on an R1

I may be interested in something like a Superduke in the near future though as playing at 3 figure speeds on a sportsbike is getting evermore iffy as the roads crowd further every day and licence realted luck can only last so long....
    I have the bargain of the year if you want it before Thurs LOL.

Liked 55 in 37 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I have the bargain of the year if you want it before Thurs LOL.

You do?

Discussion via PM?

Should Get Out More Thermostat9's Avatar
    Liked 16 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by futter View Post
    JWhere are the Brittons of this world? What happened to Mr Honda? Where has the inspiration gone?
    Good question.

Even the maxi scooters that looked to be a pretty interesting way of going are 10 years old now - the Honda Silver Wing was new in 2001 and has barely changed, the Suzuki AN650 was launched in 2003. Both are still in the manufactures catalogues. At least Yamaha has done some updating of the TMAX in that time. And these things are popular (in Europe and Asia at least) so that does not really explain what has happened to the genre.

Perhaps this will shake things up. It is the (unfinished) chassis of a recumbent rear-engined track day bike.

The structure at the front is the footbox. gotta put your feet somewhere! It's a sheet steel structure to 'capture' the front wheel if it gets slammed into a barrier hard enough to break it, don't want the remnant of a spoked wheel mixed up with your legs. Also supports the doors, which help to carry any crash loads back into the chassis, and it's got to keep the ground off you if you find yourself sliding down the road in it. Really the chassis could all be one piece, but doing the footbox as a separate assembly allows modification/repair. It's a 'mule', we're well over the edge of known space here so flexibility for development is essential.

Riders feet higher than bum, toes level with the front of the wheel, plus 'organ' type pedals (top hung) make it look odd, but the bodywork clears it easily, the top deck will be level with the riders chin. Actually, the nose is the important part of a damn great wing (inverted) on the front, early CFD shows more download than lift.
    Might shake them up at Cadwell. And remember they laughed at Colin Chapman until he started winning.

Liked 47 in 20 posts

If there's one type of bike that I have no interest in it would be adventure type bikes, even if I was actually going on an adventure I would want to avoid them.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

What is a UJM ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 30 in 16 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irn Bru Freak View Post
    What is a UJM ?
    Universal Japanese Motorcycle, basically any across the frame four cylinder bike from the 1980s and 1990s.

Liked 11 in 10 posts

I RLAC on a GS...... the difference between getting caught on it and being caught doing the same on my sportsbike is a possible ban instead of 4 months imprisonment and the resulting job loss etc

Makes sense to me

As for the UJM argument they all looked the same and had the same basic engine design and layout.......the current crop of adventure bikes have everything from V twins ( both in line and across the frame), flat twins, inline twins, triples, shaft or chain drive, conventional forks, paralevers etc etc

Should Get Out More Thermostat9's Avatar
    Liked 16 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Two View Post
    If there's one type of bike that I have no interest in it would be adventure type bikes, even if I was actually going on an adventure I would want to avoid them.
    More like this?

At Work
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Hi I here you. just sick to death of ugly trailie styled bikes littering the roads. I would even have a cruiser b4 considering one of these characterless wife and luggage carrying mules. If it doesn't inspire you when you open the garage door chances are you aint gonna ride it much
    Quote Originally Posted by futter View Post
    Just read the VD review of the CB500X thingy and thought to myself, "god thats aweful", really it is, then it struck me that so is the crosstourer, as is the GS1200, as is the GS800 as is the Triumph version and the Ducati version as well .... kawasaki, suzuki, yamahaha and so on.

Given that I have a history of likeing frighteningly ugly bikes (X11) and have ridden some farily unusual machines as well (road legal CR500SM anyone) I think that the trend of modern bikes, certainly in the big 4 to go with this psuedo trail bike look while retaining road manners etc is turning so much of what we ride now into that classic, the UJM.

That is to be taken with a pinch of salt/irony - what uniqueness is there now? Nothing stimulates the senses more than a new bike but really, they are all the same, and boring at that. I know we still have the 1ltr, 200mph, 170bhp sportsbikes, but they are and always will be for a select few (those who use them as they are meant to be used rather than metal and plastic cock extensions).

Where are the Brittons of this world? What happened to Mr Honda? Where has the inspiration gone?

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    If it doesn't inspire you when you open the garage door chances are you aint gonna ride it much
    True for wives too

Liked 66 in 46 posts

I'm a recent convert to adventure bikes.

I've had sports bikes all my life, I wanted something that I could ride slow on (the wife is a novice biker), it was a revelation, who would have thought that a motorcycle could actually be comfortable. Being six three even my old touryish RRW Blade crippled me after an hour, the TA I could quite literally ride for days. It's really fucking slow, but it's not a problem because I get to have a good look round and take it all in.

I have no inclination to actually go on an adventure or anywhere off road, but it is jolly nice being comfy and 80mph seems faster than 140 on my Blade so the licence might last a bit longer too.

Not that I have to justify my purchasing decisions to you cuddly wuddly beary beary boos.

Liked 6 in 3 posts

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Hi I here you. just sick to death of ugly trailie styled bikes littering the roads. I would even have a cruiser b4 considering one of these characterless wife and luggage carrying mules. If it doesn't inspire you when you open the garage door chances are you aint gonna ride it much
    Lucky there's that thing called 'choice' then. Don't like them, don't buy one. But each to their own. I've had a Caponord, a Vstrom and a Versys. All very capable and fun to ride. I've also had naked bikes, touring and sports bikes, each one ticked the box at the time that I owned them.

Choice, can't beat it.

Liked 32 in 12 posts

Here is a bit of characterless uninspiringness for you............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum