TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newts

Really Bored
    Liked 33 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Newts

I cleared out the fishpond this weekend, with a view to getting some fish in it. Only to find that there are about 8-10 newts, and 3 frogs that have taken up residence. Anyway, the pond got sorted and the newts are back in there (including commando newt who kept escaping from the holding bucket and kamikaze diving into the pond - whether it had water in it or not). I lobbed in some water weed, and plenty of hiding/chilling out places with the rocks that were in the pond (protect them from other wildlife and the neighbourhood cats).

So; 1) Can I still keep one or two fish in there without causing aggro to the existing tenants, and 2) any other advice for keeping newts? I kind of like them now they're there, plus they make funny squeaky noises every now and again.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 48 in 41 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newts

This reminds me of Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, c. 1973 ...

JETHRO TULL - THE STORY OF THE HARE WHO LOST HIS SPECTACLES LYRICS

newt knew too much to be stopped by so small a problem
    - ``you can take him in your pouch.'' -
    but alas, hare w
    as much too big to fit into kangaroo's pouch.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 18 in 13 posts
    Blog Entries

I'd be inclined not to risk the welfare of the newts and frogs with fish. You're lucky to have them, enjoy the exclusivity.

Liked 66 in 37 posts

Fish will share but will thin out the frogspawn/tadpoles and and the newt equivalent. Currently our pond has a dozen big ish koi and ghost koi, dozens of young ones and thousands of tadpoles. No newts yet though. Top tip, a bit of barley straw will help keep the water clear.

Liked 35 in 22 posts
    Blog Entries

Can a heron fly in and out? If so put a net over your pond, a friend had every single fish removed by a heron after cleaning the pond, dead fish all over the lawn.

Liked 38 in 29 posts
    Blog Entries

A pond under a net doesn't sound like an attractive garden feature.

Liked 35 in 22 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    A pond under a net doesn't sound like an attractive garden feature.
    The only option to that is surround the pond with trees and shrubs if the problem exists. Herons fly in low and can't do vertical takeoffs.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    Can a heron fly in and out? If so put a net over your pond, a friend had every single fish removed by a heron after cleaning the pond, dead fish all over the lawn.
    I would have found out what Heron tasted like

Really Bored
    Liked 33 in 15 posts
    Blog Entries

It's surrounded by trees and shrubs, so there should be no Heron threat, unless Herons have been watching re-runs of the dambusters.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 136 in 54 posts

Newts are a rare and protected species in the UK.

Best find out about it anonymously because you may find your options limited by law!

S.

Liked 35 in 22 posts
    Blog Entries

No gannets round your way?

Liked 8 in 6 posts

We've had admittedly only goldfish in a pond for years and the frogs, newts and toads don't seem in the least bit bothered to be honest. And there is a net covering it which does detract from it's aesthetic appeal but it does stop the dog pushing a ball into the pond so that he has to subsequently "rescue" said ball.. (as well as the herons - they're a bugger when they want to play football). we do tend to make sure there are ways for the frogs/newts/toads to get in and out of the pond area though. Newts are awesome! Raised some in an aquarium once before transferring them to the pond - they're cooler than fish seeing them swim around but they do like to climb out and hang on the glass!

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Newts are a rare and protected species in the UK.

Best find out about it anonymously because you may find your options limited by law!

S.
    Good point although the OP should be OK unless they are Great Crested Newts, if they are ......

Newts | Wild About Gardens

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I once had a tiny pet lizard,it was my newt.

Liked 35 in 22 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcanman View Post
    I once had a tiny pet lizard,it was my newt.
    Hats and coats in the foyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum