TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bang for buck lappy

Liked 76 in 45 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Bang for buck lappy

So I've got this HP omnibook xe4100 thing running XP, external wifi modem and all, and it's like wading through treacle. Rather than throw money at a dinosaur I'm thinking what might be a better machine to own for out and about.

The spec goes along the lines of:
    - Small to compact sized laptop
    - Not a tablet
    - Touchy feely screen not needed
    - Won't be used for gaming but needs to handle heavily graphicky sites like faceblork
    - Built in wifi and reasonably future proofed spec
    - This is basically a toy so I don't want to push the boat out

So, woss fink?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 85 in 56 posts

Default Re: Bang for buck lappy

What apps do you NEED to run on it? If you don't need anything bespoke or heavy duty, then consider a Chromebook...
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 76 in 45 posts
    Blog Entries

I don't NEED to run any apps. I just want a cheap laptop that can browse at a decent pace and doesn't need a wheelbarrow to carry round

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Cheapest Macbook Air has just had a price cut.

Liked 85 in 56 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I don't NEED to run any apps. I just want a cheap laptop that can browse at a decent pace and doesn't need a wheelbarrow to carry round
    Chromebook should do nicely then. Cheap, pretty, good battery life, performs well

Liked 76 in 45 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Cheap, pretty, good battery life, performs well
    Much like myself then

Liked 76 in 45 posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm so it sems Chromebooks aren't about holding their own data but rather just portals to do everything online. Something Oracle wanted to do a couple of decades ago but everybody threw their hands up in horror.

Anyhoo I'm enough of a luddite to want stuff I've bought to be in my possession not borrowed (or more likely rented as soon as it becomes the de facto standard). So, recommendations wanted again for a proper laptop not an online toy plz.

And don't lappies have DVD drives any more these days? Jeez, you kids

Liked 50 in 35 posts
    Blog Entries

and doesn't need a wheelbarrow to carry round
    how portable do you want?

OK, here's how I'm thinking. The GF's old XP single core tower system can't handle her many demands (mind you it's better than your omnibook-that must be like pulling teeth). To be fair it is a work system. So I'm looking for an i3 or i5 laptop, which should take care of being reasonably futureproof. There's new development in bridge technology just about to arrive so they're all talking about Haswell machines, which says to me that the older Ivy Bridge ones should feature in some decent deals. I'll be very happy indeed if I find a deal on that for 299-I did see a Samsung last month at that but I blinked & I missed it.

But..my own old XP amd64 tower system is fine for FB etc. And the latop I'm using right now is an old dual core aspire 5630 & that's unborkable-it's my work machine if you like. You can get those now for well under 100. I really like this laptop. I've maxed out the ram & that's it. But it sure ain't future proof! And although it certainly wasn't designed for windows 8 it don't half fly on it.
    Last edited by Editor; 13-06-13 at 09:07.

Liked 50 in 35 posts
    Blog Entries

that said best 'toy' I've messed about with is a tablet. Not in the least is it's so portable you can simply take it places you wouldn't normally bother. OTOH I found myself taking it to places I wouldn't normally (IYSWIM) & I looked at myself & thought-fuck you've turned into a teenager surgically attached to the internet. So I gave it back. And most disturbingly I had withdrawl symptoms for a day. For much the same reasons I lent my smartphone to our mam & am in no hurry to have it back.

Liked 85 in 56 posts

So, recommendations wanted again for a proper laptop not an online toy plz.
    Would sir care to make sir's mind up?!

Liked 62 in 48 posts

And don't lappies have DVD drives any more these days? Jeez, you kids
    DVD drives aren't all that thin so do you want a small laptop or a DVD drive?
    Small means compromise, that will be any combination of the following:
    Screen size
    Price
    DVD drive
    battery life / performance

You can buy an ultrabook for lots of dosh but it won't have a DVD drive, you can buy a budget laptop but it might be a bit big, you can buy a laptop with good battery life and it be slow.
    I reckon you'll end up with a 15.6" budget laptop, in that category watch the processors as a small price difference can make a big performance difference.
    This is a lower spec version of a laptop I bought recently, it's a decent spec for the price (300 at the moment).
    ACER Aspire E1-571 15.6" Laptop Deals | Pcworld

Liked 211 in 150 posts

For a bit of surfing and a smidge of home productivity CPU/Memory/HDD size (unless you're ripping loads of media) and graphic cards (unless you're gaming) aren't really important. Yes i5 sounds better than an i3, etc.. but surfing the web, a typical user will never notice.

For me buying a laptop would be about...

Screen size, resolution, quality.
    Keyboard quality
    Overall chassis durability

I find the standard cheapy laptop res of 1366x768 a bit cramped, I also like matt screens and a frame strong enough that it doesn't bend if someone accidentally picks it up by the screen.

I like a keyboard that doesn't dish in too much when you type on it, most of the budget laptops I've used have had horrible keyboards.

I always do the bend test, grab opposite corners and try to twist the chassis, some have a scary amount of bend in them.

Liked 140 in 91 posts

Yeah, what mussels said.

Laptops only if you must be mobile AND you need a biggish screen, useable keyboard and dvd drive.
    Tablets nice for travelling and online browsing - but screen size can be an issue if you need to use the screen keyboard a lot and there's a massive variation in quality and therefore useability. Some of them are just expensive door stops TBH.
    Netbooks very useful for durable travelling companions with familiar functionality and a proper keyboard.

There's dis/advantages throughout tbh

Liked 17 in 12 posts

so the cheap laptop you seek must be based on the size you want the laptop to be. Any new laptop will fit your requirements functionally.

what are DVD drives for? would that mean I have to burn my downloads to DVD to play them? From my download server that has no DVD..... :eek:

Liked 398 in 240 posts
    Blog Entries

I know a few people that have bought new Laptops lately and all have bought these. Cracking bit of kit. It'll get you used to win8 or just use it the old fashioned way if you prefer. Has a DVD drive, is quick on image heavy websites etc. We got it for 380 for my in-laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum