TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: What macro lens?

Liked 287 in 167 posts

Question What macro lens?

I currently have a EOS 5D MK3 with a 24-105 tele and the EF 50mm lens. Some of the material i shoot can be used in quite abstract ways. Also a lot of it is really close up and looking at leather decay, condition of bindings, stitching, illuminations etc. I'm guessing a macro lens could be advantageous here? On the cheaper side of things what macro lens would you recommend?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 106 in 54 posts

Default Re: What macro lens?

You could consider a set of extension tubes, really depends on your budget and how much detail you need to capture. You'll lose some light and DoF, but they are pretty cheap. Macro's can be used as normal lenses though, so you could probably sell the 50mm and have a portrait/macro all in one.

As said, depends on how much your boss is willing to spend. Can't really advise on Canon fit, but the Panasonic 45mm macro wasn't cheap.

Liked 8 in 4 posts

First question is whether you really need an actual macro lens or just one that focuses closely. 'Macro' is a little misused as a term and is plastered, incorrectly, over all kinds of compact camera modes and stuff.

Actual macro is usually defined as the ability to take a pic of at least a 1:1 ratio, where the image on 35mm film (or sensor) is the same or larger than real life. So pretty close up

A lot of lenses will focus very close though so can take good pics of smallish things with good detail, so they may be enough. Look at the MFD (Minimum Focusing Distance) in a lens' review or specs.

There aren't a whole load of genuine macros lenses though. Canon do 4 branded as 'macro', though I think only 2 are genuine macro by the traditional definition and the other two just focus very closely. There's the MP-E 65mm which is pretty hardcore and goes to 5x lifesize. Think insect's eyeballs and the like. It's also expensive

The other one is the de facto standard intro macro lens for Canons and, as it happens, the one I have. And I fucking love it. It's a 100mm 2.8 which makes it perfect as a portrait lens or for picking out kids at parties and people at dinner tables and stuff. It's completely silent and focuses ultra-quick so it's brilliant for getting those quick, candid shots of people. And the trick up its sleeve is that it's also a genuine 1x macro lens.

Search online (a Flickr search by lens name is always a great place to start looking for ideas about a lens) for better stuff. It's a great lens though, and the fact that it's so good at being a general purpose tool means you don't feel bad about splashing out on a novelty macro toy

Mine is the original version but they do an IS version now - I believe they still sell them both though. Non-IS is cheaper but still around 400+ odd. IS is over 600.

There are a few others of course. All the big 3rd party manufacturers make something similar but I don't know much about them. The Canon 100 is a very popular lens though and I'd only really consider replacing it if I was to upgrade to the newer IS version.

Liked 287 in 167 posts

Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 8 in 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Yep.

Liked 106 in 54 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slenver View Post
    It's a 100mm 2.8 which makes it perfect as a portrait lens or for picking out people at dinner tables and stuff.
    You must have a fucking long table.

Liked 8 in 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Two View Post
    You must have a fucking long table.
    Yeah but these are *real* millimetres, not your multiplied-by-about-ten on your your little smartphone sensor

Liked 287 in 167 posts

My Boss agreed to the purchase if I say we really need one. After playing around with the manual focus with the camera mounted on a copy stand I got the image below from the 24-105 tele. So in all honesty I cant say we need one, especially given I have other stuff I do need to buy. Damn my honesty! Tis only on the back burner for now though...

Liked 0 in 0 posts

100mm f2.8 is a good lens. I have one. Here a couple of pics.

Liked 8 in 4 posts

My garden was overrun with bees over the weekend so grabbed a few of the little furry buggers.

Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 287 in 167 posts

Stop it....

Liked 8 in 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Stop it....
    They're very reasonably priced

Go Back to Forum My Forum