TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Things to do in the Basque Country (Northern Spain)

Liked 19 in 16 posts

Default Things to do in the Basque Country (Northern Spain)

Righto, this time next week I'll be queuing up to drive the Five onto a ferry, bound southwards to Santander. We're staying in Mundaka, a small town with a surfing beach, not too far from Bilbao. Currently our List of Things To Do consists of: walk along the beach, go surfing, walk up to the little house on the hill thing, and go to Bilbao for the International Jazz Festival*

What else can be done in this region? Anywhere recommended for a visit?

Things I like:
    • Walking along cliffs (any cliffs here?)
    • Walking along deserted beaches
    • Walking along high hills or mountains
    • Swimming in the sea
    • Bodyboarding / pansy surfing

But stepping outside of my comfort zone, I'm more than happy to go give other stuff a try - so feel free to suggest places where I might go kayaking / canoeing, mountain biking, stuff like that. Or nice towns / villages to visit, places that have nice views, that sort of thing.

Or, since I'll be in the Five, suggest me some nice roads where I can go exploring and not have to stare at the back of the car in front. Fast sweeping roads for fun (I won't be going too fast, can't afford any on-the-spot speeding fines) or just pleasant travelling roads with nice views where we might just park up for an hour and watch the world go by.

Never been to northern Spain so not really sure what to expect. I do love the emptiness of the south (once one gets a little inland and lost in the mountains) but it can be a bit arid and desolate. I don't know how quiet it is in the north once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance

*Nice
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Things to do in the Basque Country (Northern Spain)

Declare independence?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 0 in 0 posts
    Blog Entries

Don't put all your Basques in one exit.

Really Bored
    Liked 21 in 10 posts

Surf, surf, surf and surf. It's epic. That whole coastline, right the way along to Galicia and round the Finisterre peninsula. Surf is awesome, scenery is awesome, people are great and if you don't speak Spanish then you'd better be ok at French 'cos they don't do a lot of English. It's a fabulous, fabulous part of the world.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by moth View Post
    Don't put all your Basques in one exit.
    Or whisk too much, as they tend to separate.

Liked 57 in 38 posts

Watch out for car jackers. Ad campaign on the local radio just now about highway robbers targeting GB plate and hire cars.

Liked 22 in 8 posts

Take a trip up into the Picos mountains...if you have the chance go to Ribadasella on the coast where you can hure a quad or a buggy to ride up the mountains then kayak back down..nearby the town of Laredo is a nice seaside town worthy of a visit if you like long sandy beaches etc..

The town of Potes up in the Mountains is also very nice...most of the basque bits are shit so its no wonder the French and spanish don't want them

Really Bored
    Liked 8 in 3 posts

Is the cider festival on whilst you are there?

As has been mentioned - visit some sepratists, parade with an ETA flag?

Liked 19 in 16 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Watch out for car jackers. Ad campaign on the local radio just now about highway robbers targeting GB plate and hire cars.
    I've heard a few of these, are they jacking up north? I kind of assumed it was only down in the touristy cities.

At the end of the day if someone's going to stick a gun in my face I'm probably going to let them have the car and whatever's in it. If you've ever seen my driving around in my '5 I don't look like the sort of person you're going to get a bonanza from if you jack my shit anyway. Other than that I'll just keep my eyes open and keep the handbags in the boot.

I'm more worried about being pulled over and fleeced by bogus cops - how does one tell the genuine from the fake? I've heard tales that even the legit cops act like gangtas if they catch you speeding.

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 32 in 24 posts

San Sebastian is lovely - but pricy ....
    It was snowing when I went there ...

Go Back to Forum My Forum