TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth advise please.

Liked 40 in 30 posts

Default Portsmouth advise please.

I'm off to the isle of wight in a few months and am planning on taking the train from bristol to portsmouth then hopping on a ferry to the island.

Does anyone know how far the train station is from the ferry docks?

I will be carrying a lot of heavy gear so want to try and plan out how far i will have to walk (or not) to the ferry port.

Cheers all.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 85 in 53 posts

Default Re: Portsmouth advise please.

Fratton's nearest innit? Looks like about half a mile tops.

Liked 34 in 14 posts

portsmouth harbour is right next to the IoW ferry..no more than 150m if you wander through Gunwharf
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 34 in 14 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Fratton's nearest innit? Looks like about half a mile tops.
    for the contintal ferryport that is correct.. the Isle of Wight ferry goes from elsewhere....

Liked 85 in 53 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    for the contintal ferryport that is correct.. the Isle of Wight ferry goes from elsewhere....
    A-ha! Good old local knowledge.

Really Bored
    Liked 32 in 19 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    portsmouth harbour is right next to the IoW ferry..no more than 150m if you wander through Gunwharf

Erm, why would you wander through Gunwharf? Step off train at Portsmouth Harbour station, walk to end of platform, down ramp to Wightlink passenger fastcat service. You don't even leave the station complex.

Liked 20 in 12 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Erm, why would you wander through Gunwharf? Step off train at Portsmouth Harbour station, walk to end of platform, down ramp to Wightlink passenger fastcat service. You don't even leave the station complex.

Liked 40 in 30 posts

That sounds easy.

The booking we have is with wightlink so that should be just the ticket.

So a return to 'portsmouth harbour station' would be the best bet then...?

Really Bored
    Liked 32 in 19 posts

Yep. You want Portsmouth Harbour regardless of whether the booking is with Wightlink as a passenger on the car ferry (Fishbourne will show as your destination) or the fastcat passenger only craft (Ryde will show as your destination). If you're on the former then a half mile walk is on the cards, around the front of Gunwharf and along to the camber ferry terminal. If you're on the latter then it's as I described before.

Where are you going on the island? The reason that I ask is that it's not the most straightforward place to get around when you're on it.........

Liked 20 in 12 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    That sounds easy.

The booking we have is with wightlink so that should be just the ticket.

So a return to 'portsmouth harbour station' would be the best bet then...?
    yup, there's two main stations in portsmouth. 'portsmouth and southsea' and then 'portsmouth harbour'... after that you get wet!

Liked 40 in 30 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    yup, there's two main stations in portsmouth. 'portsmouth and southsea' and then 'portsmouth harbour'... after that you get wet!
    OK cheers.

It's for bestival btw.

I'm told that once i get to the island there will be shuttle buses running to the festival. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Should be a bit of an adventure...

Really Bored
    Liked 32 in 19 posts

I'd imagine the shuttlebuses are running from Ryde pier (the landward end). Prepare yourself for a LONG walk along the pier when you get off the Fastcat at the other end!!

Liked 266 in 151 posts
    Blog Entries

Having said that there's some old barge parked next to the station, that's worth a look if you have time/ no heavy gear.

You have to walk through gunwharf to get from the station to the car ferry, sometimes a better/cheaper option than the fast cat, specially for foot passengers to the festivals as you can be cheeky and ask around for a lift.

Liked 40 in 25 posts

I'd imagine the shuttlebuses are running from Ryde pier (the landward end). Prepare yourself for a LONG walk along the pier when you get off the Fastcat at the other end!!
    Don't tell him that, he'll start looking for an alternative ferry company that drops further up the pier

Liked 40 in 30 posts

Yep. You want Portsmouth Harbour regardless of whether the booking is with Wightlink as a passenger on the car ferry (Fishbourne will show as your destination) or the fastcat passenger only craft (Ryde will show as your destination). If you're on the former then a half mile walk is on the cards, around the front of Gunwharf and along to the camber ferry terminal. If you're on the latter then it's as I described before.

Where are you going on the island? The reason that I ask is that it's not the most straightforward place to get around when you're on it.........
    The festival is at 'robin hood hill', any idea where that is?

I have never been to either portsmouth or the IoW, as i'm sure you can tell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum