TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

Liked 25 in 18 posts

Default Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

I've consulted with my wife - she thinks it will be a good idea and has warned my boss that he shouldn't try to oppose it.

BBC News - David Cameron 'warned he cannot stop pay rise for MPs'

Seriously, have these people not been watching what's been happening in Turkey and Brazil?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 5 in 5 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today I shall be mostly voting for a payrise.

Parliament lives in it's own bubble of self important detachment, remember being appalled during the last recession when they awarded themselves a huge pay rise, and 'Independent pay review committee' my arse!

Reckon all politicians should, like monks, take a vow of poverty before entering Westminster

Liked 4 in 3 posts

Give 'em a good payrise, sure. I have no problem with that but ban other employment while they're an MP and especially ban all current and former department ministers from joining any industry they were a minister for, for at least five years after leaving parliament.

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 47 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DodgetheRog View Post
    Give 'em a good payrise, sure. I have no problem with that but ban other employment while they're an MP and especially ban all current and former department ministers from joining any industry they were a minister for, for at least five years after leaving parliament.

Or holding 20 mio of shares in companies that are affected by their ministerial decisions

Liked 85 in 53 posts

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand taking a 15% payrise when everyone else is belt-tightening is a pisstake. On the other we need quality MPs and personally I don't think it's either any easy job or should offer lower pay than one could get for an equivalent role outside of Westminster.

It's slightly more the former though - as an MP you are job-guaranteed over 4 to 5 years, you know the pay structure and it's not so bad, you should fecking well knuckle down and crack on. If you must then dial-in a yearly pay review with a top whack increase of a 1% or 2 above inflation. Whilst I've no doubt that MP pay has been falling behind in real tems over the last few years, now is not the time to readjust it.

Liked 64 in 56 posts
    Blog Entries

I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 28 in 25 posts

A 15% pay rise, that's nice for them. Not so nice for us seeing as this 15% is coming from tax payers when public spending is tightened and overseas aid is increased.

Will we see a 15% rise in effort to sort things out? Probably not.

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 47 in 35 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    I'm in two minds about this. On one hand taking a 15% payrise when everyone else is belt-tightening is a pisstake. On the other we need quality MPs and personally I don't think it's either any easy job or should offer lower pay than one could get for an equivalent role outside of Westminster.

It's slightly more the former though - as an MP you are job-guaranteed over 4 to 5 years, you know the pay structure and it's not so bad, you should fecking well knuckle down and crack on. If you must then dial-in a yearly pay review with a top whack increase of a 1% or 2 above inflation. Whilst I've no doubt that MP pay has been falling behind in real tems over the last few years, now is not the time to readjust it.
    The timing is crass . MPs have hardly shown themselves to be the upholders of standards - esp when it comes to expenses. But I believe Bercow and the Trollop have also had there official gaff re-done at considerable cost to the tax payer ...
    If we all voted ourselves pay rises in the same why then the free market economy dictates we will go heads up.
    I think MPs should get better paid - but with serious restrictions on employing family or outside work. Outside interests means unions as well as commerce. However it should be time so that there as been a leap forward in Britian PLCs profit and loss sheet. They are, after all, members of the board.
    Last edited by the phantom pieman; 01-07-13 at 10:05.

a little bit Nurse Gladys Fallen Angel's Avatar
    Liked 70 in 30 posts
    Blog Entries

I got a pay rise today.

Not a 15% one though.

Liked 4 in 3 posts

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    Or holding 20 mio of shares in companies that are affected by their ministerial decisions
    Not exactly relevant to the pay rise question but interesting nevertheless

Liked 25 in 18 posts

I don't agree. Everyone is being asked to tighten their belts - many people, like me have taken nominal or real cuts in pay since 2008. MPs should be leading and setting an example, showing empathy.

Liked 4 in 3 posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
    I don't agree. Everyone is being asked to tighten their belts - many people, like me have taken nominal or real cuts in pay since 2008. MPs should be leading and setting an example, showing empathy.
    I guess I DO agree with you in that respect. I think the timing is wrong but I still think that they should get more as long as there are other work/investment limitations both during and after tenure. A politician ought to be in the job because they want to serve.

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Just taken a 6000pa pay cut.

Liked 76 in 46 posts

Isn't a 15% rise going to push em up a tax bracket? (I've not been paid since October )

Liked 25 in 18 posts

I guess I DO agree with you in that respect. I think the timing is wrong but I still think that they should get more as long as there are other work/investment limitations both during and after tenure. A politician ought to be in the job because they want to serve.
    If they (collectively) get the UK economy growing with improvements in real incomes (not just property prices) and in standards of living , at a rate that is faster than the rest of the World then I'll be happy to agree an inflation-linked payrise.

While we're at it, shouldn't we rationalise the Houses of Parliament, surely there's only so many jeering knobheads required in any one debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum