TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: iphone wifi problem

Liked 61 in 36 posts

Default iphone wifi problem

Yesterday morning, my iphone 4S said I had an update to carrier settings, so I installed it.

Since then, the wifi will not work - it either will not see any networks, or it can see them but won't let me connect - I've tried 3 different networks, and it wouldn't even let me onto a network with no password. My ipad and ipod work fine, so I KNOW it's not the network.

I called my carrier (3) and went through the reboot router, reboot phone, restore network settings, full factory restore etc but nothing has had any effect...but it was working fine before the update to carrier settings yesterday.

My carrier says there is nothing else they can do, it's a bug in the software from apple so I must speak to them - but because the phone is over a year old, and therefore out of warranty, Apple will not connect me to their customer support number unless I pay 25. Bastards! It's not a warranty issue, or a hardware issue, it's their poxy software!

Any suggestion on how to get around this? Phone was working fine yesterday, no problems whatsoever...

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 49 in 23 posts

Default Re: iphone wifi problem

Is bluetooth working? Wifi and bluetooth are on the same chip.

Liked 61 in 36 posts

No, doesn't seem to be...

Liked 49 in 23 posts

The reason I asked is the same this happened to my 4s last month. I now own a Nexus 5.

Liked 61 in 36 posts

Oh...and I guess you got nowhere with Apple?

I've got an appointment with a genius (LOL!) on tuesday, so I'll see if I can get anywhere face to face...a bit of googling suggests this is a common problem, denied completely by Apple - they just swap the handset if it's still under warranty, or charge for a repair if it isn't...neither of which pleases me greatly if I'm honest, this phone is just over 2 years old and pretty well looked after, not battered and bruised or anything, and for it to just stop after their update when it worked perfectly well beforehand is a bit weak if they're not going to sort it out

Liked 49 in 23 posts

Mine was 20 months and mint, never dropped etc. Seems to be either a chip or mainboard failure, plenty on info if you Google it.

Liked 61 in 36 posts

Yeah, have seen loads of discussion on the apple forums...just a bit disappointing that a phone of this price apparently is not expected to last more than a year, and if you want it repaired, you got to pay. If that's what I get from the store, I'll be buying a different phone. Shame though because I like the iphone...but its fuck all use to me if it'll die inside 2 years and I'll be told 'tough luck' by the manufacterer

Liked 48 in 28 posts

Would restoring the phone to a previous pre-update version of the software fix it?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 49 in 23 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monstyr View Post
    Would restoring the phone to a previous pre-update version of the software fix it?
    Is it even possible to "down grade" the software?

The failure on mine was hardware on the phone. I bought a 32GB Nexus 5 for 350, the equivalent 5S is 629 or 549 for the 5C. The 4S is still available in the 8GB version, for the same price as the Nexus!

I only went with the iPhone because it was a freebie, no fucking way was I going to spend hard earned on another one of their phones when I could get something equal to or better than for less.

Liked 48 in 28 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    Is it even possible to "down grade" the software?
    It is possible to use an earlier than update restore point though dont ask me how as I stumble through much of this stuff myself.
    I think if you plug it into iTunes it will have backup stored on there and you can just use an earlier dated one and restore the phone using that instead of the most recent version.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 61 in 36 posts

Well I didn't get much joy at the apple store. They took it out back and tested it, came back and said that it had passed the wifi diagnostics check but still wouldn't connect to a network, so that'll be 160 for a replacement as it's out of warranty or you can have discount on a new phone. Turns out this phone is actually just 15 months old...my first 4S got changed after it failed after a year, apple replaced that with my current handset, but they won't replace this one even though they agree that I have done nothing to cause this. My network insist its impossible their update has fried the chip and Apple say 'hey, sometimes components fail - that's why we offer the extended warranty!' - they reckon it's ok if something just fails that quick... I'm stuck with a not very old not very smartphone and a repair bill if I want it to work properly. Wankers!

Go Back to Forum My Forum