TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Raspberry Pi Media Centre Report

Liked 31 in 11 posts

Default Raspberry Pi Media Centre Report

So following on from Vaguelyfamiliar's suggestion is the Apple TV thread further down the page, I ordered a Raspberry Pi and a load of accessories:

Raspberry Pi
    Case
    Wireless keyboard and mouse
    Infra-red remote
    USB Wifi dongle
    USB Hub
    32 GB SD card

Bought from New IT for 113.

The SD card was pre-loaded with the NOOBS sortware, this is a free download from Raspberry if it's not present. Plug everything in, power on the Pi and it boots into an operating system selection screen, choose Openelec and wait for it to install. The Pi reboots, Openelec starts and runs the XBMC (X Box Media Centre) straight away.

I've spent a couple of hours tinkering with the settings and can stream audio and video from my andriod phone, it doesn't like video from the iPad but audio is fine. Streaming from the internet is fine too, tried Youtube and a couple of films, both fine. Download the Yatse app to my phone so I can control the whole thing from that if I want to.

Using XBMC does require a bit of patience waiting for things to load, a mate runs it on his laptop and the user experience is comparable.

For anyone tempted I'm more than happy. XBMC does require some tinkering, you'll need to add some of the unofficial stuff and there is a lot out there. It's not difficult and there is plenty of guides available.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Raspberry Pi Media Centre Report

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    32 GB SD card
    What class?

it doesn't like video from the iPad but audio is fine.
    Can't speak for OpenElec but Raspbmc supports Airplay and will show video thrown up to the big screen from my iPhone.

Download the Yatse app to my phone so I can control the whole thing from that if I want to.
    I've not tried that, I use the official XBMCRemote app, it's free and available for iOS and Android.

I also changed my Services > Webserver > Web interface to AWX, it seems to offer more than the default one. The IP address of your Pi will get you there.

you'll need to add some of the unofficial stuff and there is a lot out there.
    1Channel and Icefilms for streaming movies from the Internet. ArtistSlideshow for when you're playing music, it downloads artist images and makes a background slideshow while the song plays. Might need some xml tweaking, I can upload my working file if needs be.

Appearance > Skin > Settings is easily overlooked but can give you useful shortcuts to add-ons on the home screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 29 in 20 posts
    Blog Entries

FWIW I had another play around with mine this week after the other thread & FT's comments. Started from scratch also with noobs. Experimented with both openelec & raspbmc. Preferred raspbmc on 'super' overclock. I wouldn't load the arora web browser-he's not joking when he says *very experimental*-it crashed it totally & got stuck in a permament loop-I had to reload the entire os & start all over!

Quote Originally Posted by fulltilt View Post
    I also changed my Services > Webserver > Web interface to AWX, it seems to offer more than the default one. The IP address of your Pi will get you there..
    what does than enable you to do please?

Has anyone worked out how to get video/web playing on an android device onto the TV yet?

1Channel and Icefilms for streaming movies from the Internet.
    yes, I am being lazy, but quick pointer to how to get those would be appreciated. Not seeing them in video or programme add-ons.
    Last edited by Editor; 21-12-13 at 16:35.
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Should Get Out More Wreckless Rat's Avatar
    Liked 114 in 66 posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting thread as I have been toying with playing with this.... keep up the good work

Liked 0 in 0 posts

I recommended changing the output on the pi to 720p instead of 1080, and turn off the RSS feeds. It makes the whole thing run a bit smoother. Veoh is also good for watching music videos. As is the YouTube app. I quite like the trailer addict app ,which is great for seeing what's coming up

Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Preferred raspbmc on 'super' overclock. I wouldn't load the arora web browser-he's not joking when he says *very experimental*-it crashed it totally & got stuck in a permament loop-I had to reload the entire os & start all over!
    Mine was overclocked when I absent mindedly pulled out the power plug, it corrupted the SD card so I had to start again too, I'm not sure I trust overclocking anymore with everything on the SD. That's one of the advantages of the SD/USB combo setup, if the card gets corrupted it's easy to reinstall since that's just the boot files and not the OS/setup. Use Win32DiskImager to make a backup of your working setup and it's just a few minutes to recover from a borked installation.

what does than enable you to do please?
    XBMC has a http server built into it, so you can control the Pi from any device capable of loading a web page. AWX is just a skin which I prefer the look of and it offers more useful features than the default or any of the others I tried. Can't entirely remember what they are, I just know I think it's better.

Has anyone worked out how to get video/web playing on an android device onto the TV yet?
    Haven't really tried. But I think Apple have changed AirPlay in iOS7, none of the devices I recently tried using it could stream to my Pi, while my iOS6 iPhone still can. There are Android apps which can supposedly share to devices through AirPlay but it seems a bit of a moving target and, with no media on my tablet, I've not been arsed to try to hit it.

yes, I am being lazy, but quick pointer to how to get those would be appreciated. Not seeing them in video or programme add-ons.
    Install the Fusion hub, you can then browse that for all the add-ons. Fusion: Easy Addon Installation for XBMC | XBMC HUB

Liked 29 in 20 posts
    Blog Entries

Install the Fusion hub, you can then browse that for all the add-ons. Fusion: Easy Addon Installation for XBMC | XBMC HUB
    totally bloody brilliant-cheers

Liked 9 in 8 posts

PI's are great i have one at home that i tried running XMBC. you're right about the slow response, it annoyed me enough that i tried using my Acer Revo Thin client, was happier with that.

I'm currently using my PI as a TOR wireless router at work (we have an ethernet link to a leased line, but no wireless) Its good fun

would also recommend always using the highest class SD you can, makes a noticable difference over the slower ones.

Liked 26 in 19 posts
    Blog Entries

Started mine up at the weekend, hadn't been started for a while and took ages to do updates. Then I loaded the icesomething or other internet radio client but everytime I loaded it XMBC restarted, so nuts to that

Liked 33 in 17 posts

Thought it would be a good idea to post my exploits here, rather than continue to gate crash Noggins Sky thread (sorry Noggin).

Bought a Pi last christmas for my eldest and we dabbled with Openelec and Raspbmc, it worked well but suffered from micro stutter when passing through DTS sound via HDMI to the amp (Yamaha RXV567). Since then my son has been using it as his PC for surfing etc, all good.

This christmas decided to get another and the camera for a different project, but decided to try Raspbmc again to see if the micro stutter problem had been solved, it had

Played around with it over christmas with an old class 4 card and it worked great, ordered some bits and the Pi is now in full time employment as the media centre, replacing a Windows 7 based Media centre.

Shopping list
    Pi 30
    power supply 5
    Class 10 SD 32gb 15
    USB 3.0 32gb 17
    Case 5
    HDMI cable 3

So total cost 75

Follow the instructions herefor the raspbmc installer, I would highly recommend installing to a usb stick, the difference in performance is night and day.

These are the recommendations I followed here for raspbmc setup once it was installed, I haven't bothered with the wifi setup as I'm using a wired connection and I haven't bothered with the Plex set up either. If you are streaming files from a NAS unit then setting up for NFS rather than using DLNA or SMB is the way to go, much quicker.

Edit: almost forgot, had a little trouble initially with the Pi not booting and sitting on the rainbow screen (you'll know what I mean if it happens). After a bit of googling it seems that on some ocassions the Pi sends the boot signal? too soon after power up, so it misses it and then sits there waiting (apparently :shrug: ). The way to fix this is to plug your SD card back into your PC and open a file on the SD card called config.txt and add the following line at the end "boot_delay=1" (without the quote marks). This fixed it for me, Jim....

Edit 2: Haven't needed a remote, the Samsung Tv I use has CEC built in, so the arrow keys, stop, play, pause etc all work to control the Pi, signal is sent from the tv via the HDMI cable.
    Last edited by Phlik; 05-01-14 at 20:25.

Go Back to Forum My Forum