TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My phone won't stop ringing!

Liked 34 in 24 posts

Default My phone won't stop ringing!

Earlier in the week the City Council sent out their new IT brochure to schools.

They have upped their prices for everything and have also started charging for services they used to provide for free.

This has set the schools in a frenzy of trying to get away from City Council IT Support, which also has led to mine and my fellow workmates phones ringing non stop.

It looks like we will be seeing a massive expansion in contract's next year and was just after a bit of advise about temp workers.

We have a few people lined up to come and work for us but we're considering the options (temporarily) of employing a few temp's to cover our contracts so we can give immediate support to any school wanting to drop out of CC contracts early.

Is it as easy as just getting in contact with a temp agency and hiring a temp for x amount of days? - do they normally work as sole traders or are they employed by the agency? do they normally have a minimum amount of days they will work for?

We could obviously just ring the temp agencies and find out, but i feel like shit, and am in a lazy mood...
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    2/1

Default Re: My phone won't stop ringing!

Hope it pays off for you chap. Don't know bugger all about employing anyone though, I've always been a one man band myself
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked 52 in 26 posts

Are you looking for temps or contractors? Not sure but I think the arrangements are different.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 67 in 44 posts
    Blog Entries

Mate, you spend all that time in school and you still can't feckin' spell. Maybe you should ask for payment in kind?

My serious answer to the OP will involve the same amount of effort as you've put in.

Banned
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

This time next year you're gonna be a millionaire Rodney Greeny. Nice one.

Liked 34 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamJar View Post
    Are you looking for temps or contractors? Not sure but I think the arrangements are different.
    A temp contractor in theory.

We might just need 2/3 guys to work for maybe 2/3 weeks as i know some schools will want to not give notice to CC and will want cover before april which is before we will be employing some new staff. We also need to make sure we have enough contracts before these future employees will leave their current roles and come over with us, but we also do not want to turn down contracts because we cannot provide the early service they might desire if they sign before april.

Liked 34 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    Mate, you spend all that time in school and you still can't feckin' spell. Maybe you should ask for payment in kind?

My serious answer to the OP will involve the same amount of effort as you've put in.
    Well done.

Liked 52 in 26 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    A temp contractor in theory.

We might just need 2/3 guys to work for maybe 2/3 weeks as i know some schools will want to not give notice to CC and will want cover before april which is before we will be employing some new staff. We also need to make sure we have enough contracts before these future employees will leave their current roles and come over with us, but we also do not want to turn down contracts because we cannot provide the early service they might desire if they sign before april.
    Ok that makes sense, you can use an agency to source the contractors for you and they charge you for the days worked, or you can use a contractor direct if you know some. You just draw up a contract and schedule of works with them and pay them direct.

Liked 34 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamJar View Post
    Ok that makes sense, you can use an agency to source the contractors for you and they charge you for the days worked, or you can use a contractor direct if you know some. You just draw up a contract and schedule of works with them and pay them direct.
    Do you normally get the chance to meet them before employing them?

I find that a lot of people look good on paper but some have got 0 people skills and are scared to fuck to work around kids.

For example:

I met an auditor from an academy head office yesterday and i took him into a room filled with reception kids and he was generally shit scared. He kept saying to me "are we done now, can we go, the kids keep touching me", but just because i'm a c.unt i took my time finishing the export of software on that machine just to make him sweat a bit longer...

As it happens he looked the spitting image of Gustavo from breaking bad as well, which was a bit weird...

Liked 34 in 22 posts
    Blog Entries

You need to find a way of being selective regarding agencies otherwise you'll find you're getting people unsuitable for the task. a couple of times when I worked as a contractor I found I was getting work for which I was experienced in, sometimes I could overcome the deficiencies and once or twice I couldn't and that was a real PITA for the customer.

Liked 216 in 128 posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, tell the agency you will be coming into their office on the afternoon of x, please line up the following candidates for a 30 minute interview. If you cant work out their competence in that time then they arent any good. If you want 3 candidates I would say set up 6 or 8 for interview.

Also check their availability, its no good if they are on 4 week notice on their current job and also stress it is x weeks work since some wont want that short a contract also. All helps to weed out the candidates.

Be sure you know what the agency rates are, some just charge a percentage over the hourly/day rate of people, some charge a flat fee on top of that for any contracts less than x weeks/months.

<edit>Other option is to get your mates to recommend people. Are you really fixated on certain people come April? I'd be tempted to hire in as the work comes in and keep those people if they are any good.

Liked 52 in 26 posts

I find that a lot of people look good on paper but some have got 0 people skills and are scared to fuck to work around kids.

For example:

I met an auditor from an academy head office yesterday and i took him into a room filled with reception kids and he was generally shit scared. He kept saying to me "are we done now, can we go, the kids keep touching me", but just because i'm a c.unt i took my time finishing the export of software on that machine just to make him sweat a bit longer...

As it happens he looked the spitting image of Gustavo from breaking bad as well, which was a bit weird...
    Yes you can meet the contractors prior to engaging them, all of my contracts I have had an interview prior to be contracted, mostly over the phone though.

Liked 34 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    Yes, tell the agency you will be coming into their office on the afternoon of x, please line up the following candidates for a 30 minute interview. If you cant work out their competence in that time then they arent any good. If you want 3 candidates I would say set up 6 or 8 for interview.

Also check their availability, its no good if they are on 4 week notice on their current job and also stress it is x weeks work since some wont want that short a contract also. All helps to weed out the candidates.

Be sure you know what the agency rates are, some just charge a percentage over the hourly/day rate of people, some charge a flat fee on top of that for any contracts less than x weeks/months.

<edit>Other option is to get your mates to recommend people. Are you really fixated on certain people come April? I'd be tempted to hire in as the work comes in and keep those people if they are any good.
    True, that is an option and if we do find someone really good that wants to stay in the job there is no reason why we wouldn't offer it to them as a full time position.

The two guys we know of are friends who's jobs (also in IT) are looking shaky so wanted to try and get them in business with us. We also know that they will be able to do the job and are just as mad as us three. Being a bit mad when working in schools only comes as an advantage...

Liked 216 in 128 posts
    Blog Entries

Good luck with the agencies then, good one are good, not so good ones are totally and utterly shite, will promise you the earth and deliver shag all aka failed estate agents.

Liked 36 in 21 posts
    Blog Entries

Do your contractors/employee's need to be CRB checked for working around/near children? Serious question?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum