TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-car audio question: from MP3 library to speakers, neatly and easily

Liked
    times

Default In-car audio question: from MP3 library to speakers, neatly and easily

Short Version

Recommend me some solutions for getting a large MP3 collection to play, with good audio quality, through the speakers of my Mk3 Mondeo (facelift) with the in-dash Sony 6006CD player. Consider the following:

Mobile phone contains my entire MP3 collection. I also have a USB stick containing my entire MP3 collection.

Mobile phone is Android (Galaxy Fame) and has bluetooth

Car stereo has an AUX port but my mobile phone has a very low audio output, so will need some kind of pre-amp. Behringer make a good quality 12V headphone amp for 20

Car stereo has very little EQ adjustability and basically always sounds crap

Mobile phone has good EQ capability

I have a very very good single-DIN headunit from my old car but there are no fascia adapter kits specific for my car and according to web searches I need to buy a non-Ghia centre console and start hacking it up to make any other headunit fit. I didn't really want to start hacking at my lovely new car.

I have read that Bluetooth audio quality is noticeably lower bandwidth than MP3. I use my car for AB comparison when mastering audio tracks, so a good quality sound is essential.

I'm happy to undertake custom wiring (e.g. hardwiring a 12v headphone amp) but don't want to do too much external hacking at dash plastics or sourcing car parts from breakers unless I have to

Any ideas I might not yet have though of are gratefully received

Thanks all
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked
    times

Default Re: In-car audio question: from MP3 library to speakers, neatly and easily

So you got a mondidlo then.

ST200...?
    Register to join this UK Motorbike Forum, start a motorbike blog, or use our free motorbike classifieds!

Liked
    times

Default Re: In-car audio question: from MP3 library to speakers, neatly and easily

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    So you got a mondidlo then.

ST200...?
    Nope, Ghia X luxobarge estate. Except as it's green and I live in the country I'm allowed to called in a shooting brake.

It's the same V6 Duratec lump but with 170bhp instead of the full 200.

Apparently they'll easily do 200bhp with the ST200 intake manifolds off ebay and a cheeky remap, but retains the low-down torque that the ST loses due to its sportier cams

I bought it because I fancied that V6 grumble, but it's so quiet I can't hear it and have to look at the rev counter to see what gear I should be in. Will have to see if that Apexi air filter will go on to release a bit of bark to match its bite

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post
    Nope, Ghia X luxobarge estate. Except as it's green and I live in the country I'm allowed to called in a shooting brake.

It's the same V6 Duratec lump but with 170bhp instead of the full 200.

Apparently they'll easily do 200bhp with the ST200 intake manifolds off ebay and a cheeky remap, but retains the low-down torque that the ST loses due to its sportier cams

I bought it because I fancied that V6 grumble, but it's so quiet I can't hear it and have to look at the rev counter to see what gear I should be in. Will have to see if that Apexi air filter will go on to release a bit of bark to match its bite
    Cool, good colour as well...

Maybe you could put a longlife exhaust on it...

Should Get Out More Mr Rooty Tooty's Avatar
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

You've got all yer music on a phone?

I only have 64gb, that barely covers half of 'A'.

(I'll go away now )

Nb I also have a green mondeo

Liked
    times

Headphones.

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Tooty View Post

(I'll go away now )

I have that problem too.

A mate of mine who also has an S3 cannot understand why only 25% of my music collection fit's on the phone and he has his entire collection with room to spare.

Liked
    times

I have a 32gb USB stick / 32gb microSD in my phone, that has all my tunage on. IIRC my MP3 archive is at about 20gb.

I'm actually pretty choosy about the tunes I own. My musical tastes could be described as 'eclectic' but are more often described as 'fucking hates almost everything and barely tolerates the rest'

It's difficult to get over 20gb worth of really good electro, tech and trance, on the basis that most of it is utter shite.

Good choice. Is yours also a shooting brake? Or is it a station wagon?

Liked
    times

Some random thoughts.

- Phone -> Aux. In my view the best option. You will get some noise, but that's the only downside.

- Phone -> Preamp -> Aux. Dodgy IMHO. The preamp will simply amplify the noise of the phone as well as the rest. Also, if you listen with engine on, you risk massive floating ground issues that will severely limit this option (that's how my wife listens to the iPod in the car and I don't recommend it).

- Anything with the MP3 data stick I'd just ignore. First because you risk the same floating ground issues, second because it's OK with a few dozen songs, but try navigating through a complete library with an interface that has 12 characters and two buttons, and you quickly look at a box of frogs as an island of calm and sanity. Not good behind the wheel.

- The bestest option, which you have not mentioned, might be a proper MP3 player with decent volume (and quality of course). As there is a mild backlash against loud players that can damage your hearing, that's an option which could take a lot of time to research.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

Phone <---3.5mm----------3.5mm---> headunit

And get a phone with a better output level, or look at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer on your current phone and see if you can tweak the levels.

Liked
    times

Liked
    times

Only scanned the thread and am not an expert.. but I guy at work was talking today of someone he'd seen that had been developed. It's basically a magnetised cube with a corner cut off that you can place on any speaker and it will receive a blue-toothed music signal and make the speaker reproduce the sound. I know it sounds a bit star trek but might be worth googling.. (which I clearly haven't been arsed to do...)

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    Only scanned the thread and am not an expert.. but I guy at work was talking today of someone he'd seen that had been developed. It's basically a magnetised cube with a corner cut off that you can place on any speaker and it will receive a blue-toothed music signal and make the speaker reproduce the sound. I know it sounds a bit star trek but might be worth googling.. (which I clearly haven't been arsed to do...)
    Called 'The Vamp'

Should Get Out More Mr Rooty Tooty's Avatar
    Liked
    times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post
    I have a 32gb USB stick / 32gb microSD in my phone, that has all my tunage on. IIRC my MP3 archive is at about 20gb.

I'm actually pretty choosy about the tunes I own. My musical tastes could be described as 'eclectic' but are more often described as 'fucking hates almost everything and barely tolerates the rest'

It's difficult to get over 20gb worth of really good electro, tech and trance, on the basis that most of it is utter shite.

Good choice. Is yours also a shooting brake? Or is it a station wagon?
    I thought a station wagon was a break? Either way, its a sheddy mk2 diesel saloon I love it!

Liked
    times

Quote Originally Posted by Byker28i View Post
    Absolutely great find, that was sounding absolutely perfect, until I realised it's for the Visteon headunits, not the Sony ones that my car has just been through the list and they say they currently don't make one for the OEM Sony HUs

TBH after phaphing about with my phone during lunch I think I'll just end up buying the bits and fitting a new head unit, 32gb of music on my old head unit was never a problem, but OTOH Clarion do make a newer double-DIN version which will make navigating easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feel free to throw some more my way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum