TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91

Thread: Highway code confussion

  1. #1
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,897
    Like
    2,799
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Question Highway code confussion


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have a question about Highway Code.

    I have few near misses on unregulated intesection lately. Bare in mind I exchanged my EU license for the UK one. Means I have learned riding on the continent. There we have one rule called Priority of the right. It means on all unregulated intesections the guy on the right side have the priority. It is valid in the US and Nee Zealand too.

    After the near misses I have read the UK Highway Code in details and found that UK has accepted Priority of the right ONLY for the roundabouts. Means that on any other unregulated intesections like T-junctions in the UK nobody knows who will go first the red car or the truck in the example below, am I right?

    In Europe or NZ the red car will go first always. Hence my near misses wrongly assuming I can go

    turning-right-at-an-uncontrolled-intersection2.jpg

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On FB if you want me
    Posts
    22,388
    Like
    570
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    We don't have uncontrolled intersections. We have give way or stop lines. The clue is in the name.

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,366
    Like
    169
    Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Jesus Christ get some training!

    And read the rest of the Highway Code, you dope.

  4. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:


  5. #4
    Should Get Out More chillitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gloucestercestershire
    Posts
    12,962
    Like
    3,080
    Liked 4,877 in 2,369 posts

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    The only time the red car would go first is if the red lorry(yellow lorry) flashes it out, and even then have a good look round first, he's trying to get you out of his way, not saying the road is clear.

  6. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

    Val

  7. #5
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,897
    Like
    2,799
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    yes you have plenty of uncontrolled intersections I agree most are controlled but I can count at least 20 unconrolled ones in the cul-de-sac where I live

  8. #6
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,897
    Like
    2,799
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Jesus Christ get some training!

    And read the rest of the Highway Code, you dope.
    Just to make it clear I have over 500 000 miles worldwide driving and riding expereince so far and IMO no ammount of training can compensate for the lack of rules in the law does it? And I have read all of it at least 5 times - if you can point me at an exact and clear rule that handles uncontrolled intesections be my guest :-)

    There is clear implementation of the Priority of the Right rule there for the roundabouts only:

    185

    When reaching the roundabout you should

    give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

  9. #7
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,366
    Like
    169
    Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    uncontrolled intersections
    What does that even mean?

  10. #8
    A Bit Bored Mawsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    15
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 in 4 posts

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    The only time the red car would go first is if the red lorry(yellow lorry) flashes it out, and even then have a good look round first, he's trying to get you out of his way, not saying the road is clear.
    Ah, but it depends whether the red car is having a race with the blue car.

  11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mawsley:


  12. #9
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,366
    Like
    169
    Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mawsley View Post
    Ah, but it depends whether the red car is having a race with the blue car.
    And something about a car eating a lot.

  13. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:


  14. #10
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,366
    Like
    169
    Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Just to make it clear I have over 500 000 miles worldwide driving and riding expereince so far and IMO no ammount of training can compensate for the lack of rules in the law does it? And I have read all of it at least 5 times - if you can point me at an exact and clear rule that handles uncontrolled intesections be my guest :-)

    There is clear implementation of the Priority of the Right rule there for the roundabouts only:

    185

    When reaching the roundabout you should

    give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights



    Approaching a junction, you may see a "Give Way" sign. Tell me what you think that might mean.

  15. #11
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On FB if you want me
    Posts
    22,388
    Like
    570
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    yes you have plenty of uncontrolled intersections I agree most are controlled but I can count at least 20 unconrolled ones in the cul-de-sac where I live
    No, we don't. They are STILL give way, even if not marked as such.

  16. #12
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,897
    Like
    2,799
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    What does that even mean?
    You have driving license mate and do not know what uncontrolled intesection is?

    The one which is not controlled by any signs, road markings or traffic lights.

  17. #13
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,897
    Like
    2,799
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    No, we don't. They are STILL give way, even if not marked as such.

    Fair enough who gives way in the T-junction above then the red car or the truck?

  18. #14
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,366
    Like
    169
    Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Just to make it clear I have over 500 000 miles worldwide
    And yet you're out of your depth on the rather well disciplined roads of the UK.

    What sort of joke is this, Valerie?

  19. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:


  20. #15
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,834
    Like
    881
    Liked 2,860 in 2,046 posts

    Default Re: Highway code confussion

    Feel free to ride out in front of a big fucking blue truck. Me, I would just use common sense. Give way to traffic coming from the right does not mean fuck the ones coming from the left. They hurt just as much. I do like the way the Dutch get upset when I don't let them out from a side street though.

  21. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

    Val

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission