TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Cookers?

Liked 3,746 in 1,917 posts

Default Re: Pressure Cookers?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    One of the best things we've ever bought. If it broke it would have to be replaced immediately as we use it 4 or 5 times a week.
    The only reason I don't use it that much is that it is too big! I always end up putting what looks like a reasonable amount in it and end up eating the same thing for days or freezing most of it. For a long time it was also difficult to manage the inner pot for lifting out and cleaning with one hand. Now it isn't too bad but I'm still wary

I can't wait for the small one as I'll be able to cook everything I like just in less volume - still save/freeze some just not so much!

Mind you, I'm keeping the big one (somewhere, haven't worked out where yet - might have to confirm that when I eventually get the kitchen done) - because I can't really entertain here, I've been known to cook a meal in it and take it to friends houses to sit and eat!

I'm quite amazed at how long its taken for IP to actually get the small one produced in european electric. Sooo many people on the FB pages have been waiting. Lots want them for a camper, but if you have two or more people, it makes sense to take the bigger one!!

As soon as I get my mini, I'm gonna have a cooking session

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Noggin:

Liked 5,904 in 3,450 posts
    Blog Entries

Finally found a butter chicken recipe that works really well in the IP - https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

As per advice I received I increased the sauce ingredients by 5, I used 1.5kg of bone in thigh (1.24 for 750g in Tesco, removed the skin and fat, once cooked the bones just drop out, yield was 800g of meat). After removing the meat I added 150g of butter and 300ml of double cream slowly the used my stick blender to get it smooth. I removed half the sauce and then put the IP on saute for 15mins so the sauce thickened, then stired in the deboned chicken and served. I put the remaining sauce into a pan on a low heat, added frozen peas and diced paneer (didnt get the quantities, did it by eye) and left that to simmer for 15 mins whilst the IP was on saute, made an excellent side dish.

Served with microwave rice, increasing the quantities like I did left no room for me to do the rice in the IP

But a really tasty dish, was sceptical about the 10mins to pressure cook that but given the liquid needs to get to a boil that and pressure cooked the chicken lovely.

4. The following 4 users liked this useful post by go_slow:

Liked 11,544 in 6,006 posts

In case anyone is after getting a new or first one...

6. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

I started cooking Risotto in mine!! I've never had risotto but was persuaded to try it in the IP. It's now pretty much my go to meal and also has upped the amount of veggies I eat as I make it mainly with frozen veg! Sooooo easy!! LOL

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,320 in 2,254 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    I started cooking Risotto in mine!!
    Sorry, but that is just wrong! Risotto should be cooked and served fresh, and require virtually continuous stirring, with liquid added slowly throughout the cooking. it takes 20 - 30 minutes. Bunging it all in a pot and boiling it at pressure may be quick, but it does not make a good risotto.

NB, Many restaurant risottos are crap because they reheat it or rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Sorry, but that is just wrong! Risotto should be cooked and served fresh, and require virtually continuous stirring, with liquid added slowly throughout the cooking. it takes 20 - 30 minutes. Bunging it all in a pot and boiling it at pressure may be quick, but it does not make a good risotto.

LOL I had one at a friends place soon after and it really wasn't different enough for me to tell!

I know it isn't the 'correct' way but equally I make a mean Lamb Tagine in the IP - not supposed to cook that so fast either! LOL

I do eat it fresh. It's much nicer than the half I microwave the next day but it's better food than some options I do!! LOL

Liked 11,544 in 6,006 posts

It actually does a better risotto than i've had in many restaurants! I remember the wife taking the lid off on the first risotto and us staring at a watery mess and then we stirred it and instant risotto! We have it quite regularly now and it rarely disappoints.

11. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

It actually does a better risotto than i've had in many restaurants! I remember the wife taking the lid off on the first risotto and us staring at a watery mess and then we stirred it and instant risotto! We have it quite regularly now and it rarely disappoints.
    We can agree that many (most?) restaurants serve crap risotto. I won't be making mine (or more accurately, letting SWMBO make mine ) in any sort of pressure cooker.

Liked 6,813 in 4,240 posts
    Blog Entries

Some of the restaurants here do a nice variation on risotto

Liked 869 in 598 posts
    Blog Entries

We can agree that many (most?) restaurants serve crap risotto. I won't be making mine (or more accurately, letting SWMBO make mine ) in any sort of pressure cooker.
    You can understand why, most restaurant customers don't want to wait half an hour for their food. I'd go easy on Taipan too, he lives in Essex where rice is made from potatoes and always deep fried

Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    You can understand why, most restaurant customers don't want to wait half an hour for their food. I'd go easy on Taipan too, he lives in Essex where rice is made from potatoes and always deep fried
    I've had risottos made with pudding rice (ugh!) but potatoes? Deep fried??

I've had risottos made with pudding rice (ugh!) but potatoes? Deep fried??

LOL What about basmati rice? Just cos I have a load and need to use it! LOL

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,233 in 3,293 posts

Just seen IPs are down to 69.99 on Amazon if you're a prime customers. Just in case anyone wants another or new one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot...L5A1OLE&sr=8-3
    And now even cheaper;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot...NSYKTZQM5N3GBW

18. The following user liked this post made by mrlongbeard:

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    LOL What about basmati rice? Just cos I have a load and need to use it! LOL
    No, no, a 1000 times no!

The 3 Most Popular Types of Risotto Rice

Sometimes packages are just labeled “risotto rice,” which is an easy way to find the right kind. Otherwise, here are the three most popular kinds of rice for risotto.

1. Carnaroli

Called the “king” or “caviar” of risotto rice, chefs like to use this one for its great flavor and because each grain maintains its shape. It also produces the creamiest risotto and is more forgiving to cook with.

Read more: Why I Only Use Carnaroli Rice to Make Risotto

2. Arborio

This variety of rice is not as starchy as carnaroli, but it is the most widely available. This medium-grain rice can be easy to overcook or turn mushy, but with careful attention, can still make a great risotto.

3. Vialone Nano

This shorter-grain rice is grown in the Veneto region of Italy and cannot be grown with chemicals. It has a high starch content, cooks up more quickly than carnaroli, and yields very creamy risotto.

There are other harder-to-find types of risotto rice — such as baldo, cal riso, and maratelli — that are great options, too. You may see superfino, semifino, and fino on packages of risotto rice, but they only refer to the width of the grains, not quality.

20. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

I best have a look for proper rice then!! LOL LOL

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission