TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 125 supermoto

  1. #1
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    83
    Like
    10
    Liked 7 in 6 posts

    Default 125 supermoto


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    hey guys,
    New to the supermoto part of this forum and a bit of a "noob" when it comes to supermoto brands.
    As per usual i have come with a question,
    What are (in your opinion) the best 125 supermotos? both in value for money (second hand)
    What should a beginner get? (if at all) and what are they like for road riding? (long and short distances)

    thanks for any help

    JH

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,947
    Like
    1,654
    Liked 2,295 in 1,177 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    1. Go Japanese. Other makes may look good new but tend not to weather well and depreciate badly. A secondhand Japanese bike, looked after, should be sellable after a couple of years for what you paid for it.

    2. Don't buy new. It will depreciate more than on a couple of years old and you'll wipe off half its value if it falls off the stand.

    3. Don't be tempted by performance. It's a 125, they all go like a sack of snot. Save your money for a decent bike after you've passed your test.

    My personal recommendation, Yamaha XT125X.

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More a_morti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    12,146
    Like
    1,511
    Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Not quite a supermoto, but the Duke 125 is a real looker.


  4. #4
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    83
    Like
    10
    Liked 7 in 6 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post

    My personal recommendation, Yamaha XT125X.
    thanks man
    do you think its possible to get a XT125x for arounf 800?
    and what is insurance usually like on supermotos? (im a new rider)
    and what are they like on road riding and longer rides?

    thanks for your help

    JH

  5. #5
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    83
    Like
    10
    Liked 7 in 6 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Not quite a supermoto, but the Duke 125 is a real looker.

    HAHAH love it man, but i aint got that kinda money and if i was to get a bike like that i would get the one you have (the MSX 125) atleast i think you have

    JH

  6. #6
    Should Get Out More a_morti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    12,146
    Like
    1,511
    Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Quote Originally Posted by jhthompson View Post
    HAHAH love it man, but i aint got that kinda money and if i was to get a bike like that i would get the one you have (the MSX 125) atleast i think you have

    JH
    The MSX is tiny mate, I really love mine but I don't think I'd want it as an only bike. My other bike is an f650 which as an ADV bike might also suit you, in that it's a bike with offroad capable suspension but road capable tyres is a mix of both worlds. But ask yourself if you'll ever be going off road? You would probably be better off with a road bike as the offroad suspension can be too soft for faster road work.

    The older Yamaha's might eventually come up in your price range. You may have to get more creative than eBay though, and you'll probably need to fix something on it.

  7. #7
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,947
    Like
    1,654
    Liked 2,295 in 1,177 posts

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Quote Originally Posted by jhthompson View Post
    thanks man
    do you think its possible to get a XT125x for arounf 800?
    and what is insurance usually like on supermotos? (im a new rider)
    and what are they like on road riding and longer rides?

    thanks for your help

    JH
    You may be able to get one for 800 but you're probably better off pushing the budget a little to 1000. That seems to be the bottom end of the 'decent' ones. On the plus side look after it and you'll get your money back.

    Insurance no idea, depends on your age, where you live, your record, whether you can lock it in a garage etc. Speaking from bitter experience these sort of bikes are VERY nickable so think hard about security. Go on comparethemarket and see what people are offering. It can be pretty pricey for a young rider, unfortunately, so go for TPFT not fully comp - that will help a lot.

    On a long ride any supermoto will leave you feeling a bit like a sheet in the wind but with a top speed of 60-70mph it shouldn't be too bad. The bike won't be a rocketship but it'll keep up with normal A-road traffic.

  8. #8
    Should Get Out More protoborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Doing an Andrew Mitchell
    Posts
    22,369
    Like
    503
    Liked 766 in 506 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 125 supermoto

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    You may be able to get one for 800 but you're probably better off pushing the budget a little to 1000. That seems to be the bottom end of the 'decent' ones. On the plus side look after it and you'll get your money back.

    Insurance no idea, depends on your age, where you live, your record, whether you can lock it in a garage etc. Speaking from bitter experience these sort of bikes are VERY nickable so think hard about security. Go on comparethemarket and see what people are offering. It can be pretty pricey for a young rider, unfortunately, so go for TPFT not fully comp - that will help a lot.

    On a long ride any supermoto will leave you feeling a bit like a sheet in the wind but with a top speed of 60-70mph it shouldn't be too bad. The bike won't be a rocketship but it'll keep up with normal A-road traffic.
    That's the issue, theft prevention, you're gonna need to spend maybe 400 on a decent lock and chain (which you'll keep for later bikes) and think carefully about how you lock it. SMs are fairly light so it needs to be locked to something immovable otherwise it just gets lifted into a van.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission