TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDI install on piaggio Xevo 125

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default CDI install on piaggio Xevo 125

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Blew CDI on Piaggio Xevo 125. (SAE J590B) charging bike battery from car (pos, neg mixed up)
    Purchased a new mollassi by-pass CDI Part No (5512341) suitable for Piaggio Xevo 125 model above.
    To by-pass the immobiliser.

Waited bloody months for the part, bit the bullet and worked out in this cold weather were now in.

Turns out the blown CDI unit on the scoot is an original piaggo (SAE J590B) but suitalble for models below because
    the connections were different.
    GILERA RUNNER VX 125 4T
    PIAGGIO VESPA LX 125 4T
    MALAGUTI MADISON 3 125 4T
    PIAGGIO FLY 150 4T
    PIAGGIO LIBERTY 150 4T
    DERBI BOULEVARD 150 4T
    DERBI SONAR 150 4T

Bought the scoot in 2012, it was a 2010 model. It came with everything and paperwok but no mention of work carried
    out for a new CDI, but I can only guess it must of had to have been changed. Maybe he had a problem and bought the part
    on the nunbers off his origial CDI unit ((SAE J590B) which by the way isn't a specific part number for bike model!
    Also it was situated behind the windshield, a mechanic said it'd be by the right foot.
    Maybe factory fitted wrong! as the loom looks pro done?

Options
    Install my newly purchased Molassi by-pass CDI suitable for Xevo 125 & buy new wiring/connectors loom to suit.(if possible?)
    Depending on the connection at the other end of the loom. If indeed it's plugged into a same port when I find out where it is?
    or
    Sell my newly purchased Malossi by-pass CDI at a loss & buy a Malossi CDI compatble for piaggio fly 125 or other 125 model
    with the same connections ports to fit my connector blocks?
    or
    change just the connector block to the right sized 8 pin, rewire and isolate 4 remaing unused cables...(If indeed are unused)

If anyone could help us out with advice or knows any auto sparks to ask I'd very much appreciate it.

01 - Molassi CDI Install.jpg
    02 - Installed here.jpg
    03 - Piaggio Xevo 125 genuine CDI unit.jpg
    04 - Side by side comparison.jpg
    05 - Top View.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Liked 1,239 in 715 posts

Default Re: CDI install on piaggio Xevo 125

if you can get wiring diagrams for both, trace the pin outs to the power feed, pickups coils etc and see if the pinouts form the boxes are the same, in which case sort out the connector blocks and install it. If you can't get that info you are working pretty blind, so I would look at getting the correct part.

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

Your post reads a bit stream-of-consciousness, but the pics are clear

It might work if you force it to fit.. however, it seems to me you run the risk of burning your brand new CDI out again, if you try to connect it and get a pin in the wrong place. The plug in your bike looks factory-fitted to me, I wouldn't cut it off if I didn't have to. Worth considering it's an Italian moped and Piaggio, Vespa etc. will all be using parts bin stuff so you may well have a different CDI fitted from the factory just because that's what was available at the time.

I'd probably just sell it and buy the right one if it's possible.

Liked 760 in 503 posts
    Blog Entries

I had an X9 and I found Del Basso in Hitchin very helpful whenever I phoned them.
    http://www.delbassobros.com/

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I was hoping a new wiring loom was just a multicore cable with 2 different ended connector blocks for CDI end and other end. don't know where it would go though!
    Looks as if that isn't the case though...Pity that would've been a nice easy fix...:-)

Plus you wouldn't think piaggio would stick in a CDI for another 125cc 4t model. You just end up in my situation at their fault!

Anyway thanks guys

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by protoborg View Post
    I had an X9 and I found Del Basso in Hitchin very helpful whenever I phoned them.
    http://www.delbassobros.com/
    Nothing in their products list for CDI...THanks though.

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

Quote Originally Posted by newboy View Post
    Nothing in their products list for CDI...THanks though.
    Sometimes it helps to phone people. Maybe they're a dealer for mallossi and can get the part you need but don't list it.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Sometimes it helps to phone people. Maybe they're a dealer for mallossi and can get the part you need but don't list it.
    Thanks guys...I got a good response stated here below...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave Milnes X9 Owners club

"CM078311 is the correct part number for an Xevo125 ignition module which is the number on the label on your photo. This is the correct and original item for the bike and has not been modified.
    This part has no cross reference to any other bike on either Suttons or Fowlers websites, so is probably unique to the Xevo.
    If this is correct then my guess is the Malossi device is not suitable for your particular bike. You cannot simply assume just because the motor is the same that all the bikes electricals will be especially considering yours is fuel injected and the ones you list have carburettors.
    Even if this is incorrect there is no way to determine which wires are not required without knowing the internal circuit on the Malossi and the original box, neither of which are available.
    If it is able to be made compatible, then it really should be supplied with a conversion cable.

Are you sure you have blown the unit, as cross polarity charging has been done before and only blown the master fuse?"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely ignored that code he stated as I was blindly looking for a 14 pin Piaggio CDI with part number SAE J...

Anyhow I know need to find out how to test the CDI and other parts before I bite the bullet and have a pro repair if I can fix it easily!

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

The Fi factor will almost certainly mean the Malossi unit won't work. The Xevo CDI must also fire the fuel injector, the Malossi unit won't have that facility.

What's the bike doing, that gives you the impression the CDI is broken?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

In fact I now think it's the aerial/antenna that's caput. I had a 2 flash error code, further reading points to the aforementioned. The transponder in the (Black) service key is not being detected.

I wonder how easy it is to install a new aerial; I don't think there's any programming needed if it's swapped for a new one?...Not sure though!

Anyhow I'll now be selling the used (opened package , not installed)
    Molassi Digitronic CDI Unit With Immobilser Bypass - For Bikes With OE Immobiliser Part No 5512341, also known as(VM552341)

On Ebay, Gumtree and Preloved.
    or message me if interested...135 inc p+p...:-0

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    "Thanks a_morti" You've been a great help, also Big P and Proto.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Since the last posts I have checked continuity on the antenna which is fine, and tried another key to mark out antenna and transponder faults. So I got a new CDI/Immobiliser.

I replaced the CDI/Immobiliser and inserted fully charged battery. The error code was now gone, and I was in the process of starting with the black service key before programming the unit to the transponder. It turned over but wouldn't start, (half tank petrol) so I programmed the unit, but it's still turning over (about 10 x long times) without starting.

Kept the throttle open for a bit before starting also.

Don't know whether it's because it's been standing for a few months and cold, as there was no error codes after replacement, so I've took the battery out again and started charging for another go later. Don't know whether I've flooded the engine now also.

Has anyone have any ideas or feedback for me to try thanks; or even if I'm doing the right thing?

Liked 1,239 in 715 posts

take the plug out and see if it sparks when it turn over , also check to see if the plug is wet with fuel.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    take the plug out and see if it sparks when it turn over , also check to see if the plug is wet with fuel.
    Hi Pete...Story so far.

I removed the spark plug and noticed the tip was loose!, so tightened it down. The end didn't look dirty or wet, but I give it a good clean.
    Measured 3.9 (K) on the 20k ohm setting through center electrode. I believe 4k to 6.5K Ohms is good. Also no short from tip to ground.
    I checked for a spark and there was. I then popped a teaspoon of petrol in the viod and replaced the plug. "MY CREATION...IT LIVES"
    The bike fired up first time and ran for a couple of minutes with no error lights or engine management lights. Took it for a 10 mile spin, still no warning lights etc.
    Took out the battery that night and recharged again and refitted.

Alas the next morning when going to fill up (2 mile or so) the EM light came on, and when I got back It wouldn't start again. So now the CDI/Immobiliser is fixed,
    but back to the original start up failure before blowing said CDI. Thinking possible overcharge or undercharge, either stator or regulator fault!

Battery was 11.28v ignition off and boot light on, 11.40v when unattached from scoot. I did have to top up my battery (YUASA 12v, 11Amp Hours @ 10hr.rate - YB10L-B2) with de-ionised water I had in the cupboard and recharge with my CTEK charger. This was before fitting the new CDI job, don't know whether the reverse polarity could have done this though? A few of the cells were half empty, which surprised me. But that indicates an overcharge I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission