TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CDI install on piaggio Xevo 125

Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

Default Re: CDI install on piaggio Xevo 125

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    11.3v is no battery at all.. that's zero per-cent in real terms.

New battery time. Stop looking for other faults til you replaced it.

I imagine the dead battery could cause other faults if eg. it can't power the immobiliser while doing the fuel injection and spark at the same time.

Liked 1,247 in 720 posts

This ^^^^^ . definetly sounds like a dead battery. the charging system may also be goosed, but you need a decent battery and a running lump to tell.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I think you're both right men. The dilemma now is...when I get and install the new battery, do I, if need be, reset any error lights if possible, and use the scoot in the hope it's sorted, only to see the EM light back and maybe boiling/damaging the new battery, if indeed there is a charging system fault. Or bite the bullet and take it to a repair centre.

If I could install the new battery in the knowledge that I wouldn't damage it I'd take that chance before biting said bullet...:.) What do you reckon?

I suppose an overcharge is the easier fix as it would just mean swapping out the regulator. Whereas undercharge needs more investigation...(Stator, regulator, cabling) I assume!

Happy Xmas BTW...

Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

Get a new battery, charge it fully, and try to get the scoot working with the alternator unplugged. It won't be charging the battery but it also won't risk frying it in case your regulator has packed up.

Then when it's started, plug the alternator back in and check in case it's over charging.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

So starting up with a dodgy regulator can immediately damage the new battery if the stator/alternator pumps out whatever high voltage it sends before being regulated?

Sorry morti but just wondered why you then plug it back in (besides the obvious testing of voltage output to the battery). unless the initial start up outputs a great deal more voltage than say high revs!

Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

Quote Originally Posted by newboy View Post
    So starting up with a dodgy regulator can immediately damage the new battery if the stator/alternator pumps out whatever high voltage it sends before being regulated?

Sorry morti but just wondered why you then plug it back in (besides the obvious testing of voltage output to the battery). unless the initial start up outputs a great deal more voltage than say high revs!
    You won't be worrying about checking voltage right away while starting the bike, rather getting it going and keeping it running.

If the regulator is dead and maybe kicking out 19v+, you could fry a battery or CDI relatively quickly, it's the CDI I'd be more worried about. For example I have seen 400cc Hondas with dead regulators (OK it's not the same, but bear with me) where the CDI got so hot that the insulating wax melted, and poured out from the connector. CDI's don't work so well after that happens.

So remove that worry while getting the bike started, then after you have the bike running treat it as a separate (possible) issue to be solved, which is what it is.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thanks morti...I'm terrified to touch it now... Don't need another layout for a third CDI... I wouldn't mind, as mentioned earlier I'd had it running and a 10 mile run a couple of days ago now, and that scenario could have done the new CDI in...Yikes!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Did you do it?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by georgepiaggo View Post
    Did you do it?
    Yes thanks mate. I installed the new CDI and had the whole charging system done too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission