TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Patching up our old sheds

Should Get Out More
    Liked 291 in 114 posts

Default Re: Patching up our old sheds

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    "The shed across the yard" Because of the lead flashing, you are going to have to remove the copings on the walls when the roof is replaced. If it were me, I'd lift the plate height up at the front and rear to the existing height of the lower coping, run purlings across to sit on the outer walls at the coping level, tie the purling to the outer walls and re pitch at this increased height. Simple and easy.

If raising the height of the roof line is an issue. Kind of do things in reverse, and dismantle the outer walls to the existing top plate heights, and then carry out the same construction method of using purlings to sail over the outer walls.

2. The following user liked this post made by EddieJ:

Liked 4,729 in 2,311 posts

I'm glad you said that. I knew I'd need to do 'something' to the roof, but wanted to get the two new walls up first and tie it together a bit first. The copings aren't good in one spot on the far side so a bit of that needs taking down and rebuilding anyway. We are in a conservation area so I need to go a bit steady, but given the place will fall down if I don't do this it should be OK. As long as I dont start dropping veluxes and such like into it..

Liked 2,655 in 1,584 posts

Blockwork into that nice old stone? You heathen! Are you going to face it or render it or anything or is this strictly a throw it up and make it workmanlike job? It pains me to see concrete and blockwork in older properties, I have enough of it in my own place where previous cheapskate bodgers have "that'll do"'d it.

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Blockwork into that nice old stone? You heathen! Are you going to face it or render it or anything or is this strictly a throw it up and make it workmanlike job? It pains me to see concrete and blockwork in older properties, I have enough of it in my own place where previous cheapskate bodgers have "that'll do"'d it.
    You are absolutely right. The blocks are just going inside and will be rendered. I'd love to use stone and lime mortar too. I'd also make some hardwood windows if I had the time. But that's the thing, I don't have the time or the money. I have to get all this stuff sorted out quickly and properly. At the moment there is stuff dumped everywhere and some of it in less that ideal conditions, and if I dont get it sorted stuff's going to get ruined. I used to be a dry stone waller so I'm happy that from the outside the shed going to look good, I have a couple of really nice oak doors that are going on once I have something to make the frames from, but as I said up there, at the end of the day, it's a shed.

Liked 436 in 215 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    ...I used to be a dry stone waller rock balancer ...
    FTFY

I'm happy to come & help and not just with the rock balancing.... erm, except I'm not here this weekend.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by eccles291:

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

Hey Chillit, if your forge is still blowing, can you knock up a couple of fly press balls for me?

Better still, can I come and have a go! I could help out with the shed stuff while I was there...

S.

The forge is clagged up with stuff that will go in the finished sheds when they are erm.. finished! What size balls? they are big ish on a flypress, aren't they? I use steel balls as curtain pole finails, but buy them in as the little ones I use are pennies. I've PMed you a link to my supplier, they do have a small order charge, but I'm happy to add them to my next order if you aren't in a hurry. You are welcome to come and have a play when its running! (as is everyone else, except Korky, I'm not sure I'd trust him with a red hot poker...)

10. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Liked 1,240 in 716 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Hey Chillit, if your forge is still blowing, can you knock up a couple of fly press balls for me?

Better still, can I come and have a go! I could help out with the shed stuff while I was there...

S.
    If you have to make a new handle , use weights (like weight lifting ones), either bought (they are pretty cheap second hand) or cut from plate. It has the advantage of allowing you to alter the mass on the arms so you don't work harder than you have to. The decorative ironwork steel balls are usually hollow once they get up to 3" or so and bigger. Lumps of steel that size start getting pricy fast unless you can find an industrial scrappy.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,613 in 966 posts

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    You are absolutely right. The blocks are just going inside and will be rendered. I'd love to use stone and lime mortar too. I'd also make some hardwood windows if I had the time. But that's the thing, I don't have the time or the money. I have to get all this stuff sorted out quickly and properly. At the moment there is stuff dumped everywhere and some of it in less that ideal conditions, and if I dont get it sorted stuff's going to get ruined. I used to be a dry stone waller so I'm happy that from the outside the shed going to look good, I have a couple of really nice oak doors that are going on once I have something to make the frames from, but as I said up there, at the end of the day, it's a shed.
    Throw the inside skin up with blocks, put wall ties in and add stonework when you have the time.
    Or if you want a cavity, put inner skin up, wall ties and cavity to a mid layer block skin that's got wall ties sticking out and put the outside skin of stone on when you have the time.

You can put the timber wallplate on top of the inner block skin.

13. The following user liked this post made by demographic:

That is kind of the plan. I'm building the block walls inside the current tin so at some point I can take down the shitty outer skin without leaving the contents exposed to the weather. Might need a short pause while I scrounge and build some door frames. Almost wish I hadn't put teh doors right at the back of the shed thats rammed with shop...
    I am quite pleased with myself regarding my plan to build short returns on one side wall so there is room for racking right into the corner behind the doors. Planning, see.. Also adds some strength to the wobbly looking walls and somewhere to rest the wallplate on that wont fall over.
    Last edited by chillitt; 10-01-15 at 09:57.

15. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    If you have to make a new handle , use weights (like weight lifting ones), either bought (they are pretty cheap second hand) or cut from plate. It has the advantage of allowing you to alter the mass on the arms so you don't work harder than you have to. The decorative ironwork steel balls are usually hollow once they get up to 3" or so and bigger. Lumps of steel that size start getting pricy fast unless you can find an industrial scrappy.
    A 6" solid steel ball is about 20 quid plus VAT. probably cost more than that to post them!

17. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Liked 1,240 in 716 posts

Thats an excellent price for a solid ball, the hollow ones that I was recently looking at were that sort of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Thats an excellent price for a solid ball, the hollow ones that I was recently looking at were that sort of money.
    yeah they weigh 13 kgs! (and a depot near you, too... )

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,931 in 2,778 posts

Awesome thanks for the link.

Be fun to mount one in the lathe to bore it out

21. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

A bit of a mixed day.... Got a bit of wall up, which is nice. I've been taking down a bit of old wall that used to be the boundary line for the stone, and dug this one up.
    I nearly split me kipper getting that out of the ground...
    I've got to the point where I need to get the door frames made and in before I go any further. Still havent been wood shopping though. The copings on both sides arent that well stuck down and the wet has got into the walls so in one corner I think I'm going to have to rebuild about five foot of it. Could have done without that but not point in leaving it as it is. So I need to do the Room Over the Forge first so I can get all the stuff in the Shed Across the yard out to make room. More box shifting...

23. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission