TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Patching up our old sheds

Liked 4,768 in 2,325 posts

Default Re: Patching up our old sheds

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Just MTFU and use a hacksaw!
    Tell you what, when I've finished butchering this beam, I'll save you an offcut, and you can show me how its done...

2. The following 2 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Liked 1,247 in 720 posts

Chillit, can you get me a pic of the pillars you are going to put the bit to be used as a crane on? I'm currently using this as a training exercise for a couple of my junior guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Chillit, can you get me a pic of the pillars you are going to put the bit to be used as a crane on? I'm currently using this as a training exercise for a couple of my junior guys.
    That is currently two old cotswold stone and lime mortar walls.I'm thinking either a mortared in steel plate, or taking a bit out and putting a concrete block in. I have a 12" deep shelf to put the beam on. If i just put it on top of the wall, due to the angle of the roof the top web would be cut off almost back to the line of the wall. There is plenty of head room so it could be brought down into the wall to keep the beam square on the end which seems a better idea to me but its all so over specced for what its likely to lift I'm not sure how much it matters!

All the manky timbers are either out or coming out, along with the rotten 2x2 running along the wall, and that will be filled in a bit at a time... Im planning to put the steel at the door end, maybe two or three feet from the doors.
    NB all this is subject to change once I have the benifit of some edumacation...

5. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Liked 1,247 in 720 posts

Thanks, square ends are good, I'll let the guys know

7. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

Liked 1,310 in 837 posts

Please put some form of padstone or lintel under the end, just to avoid the potential issues of putting a point load in that wall.

9. The following user liked this post made by Lostboy:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Thanks, square ends are good, I'll let the guys know
    Another thought, if its dropped down a bit, if I found another steel in the future, it could run the length of the shed for further flexibilty in the moving heavy things dept, either sitting on top of this one or bolted to it on same level.

11. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Please put some form of padstone or lintel under the end, just to avoid the potential issues of putting a point load in that wall.
    Yeah, that was the bit where I said a mortared in steel plate or a concrete block going in. A point load on that wall could be very much like a knife through butter. This is also why Im moving it a few feet along the wall away from the corner to gain a bit of stability. Theres no cracks or anything, its just a bit limey.

Due to a customer wanting a load of rusty corrugated tin sheets quite badly, the big sheds getting done. Currently it looks like this

The shed was divided into six sections as it was a pigeon loft many years ago, all but one of the dividers are coming out, the tin is rotten and so is the wood, it's been propped up in the past and that makes it worse. Some of the wood work has been removed already, but the rest is coming out now.

These doors used to be into seperate sections but I'm going to swap them over so theres a nice wide doorway now

It's all go...
    Last edited by chillitt; 01-11-16 at 22:14.

14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Middle section now has the new (to me) tin on, some of it not overly attached as there is nothing under it. Timber supplier shuts at one on a Saturday, I got there at ten past. Doors hve been re hung the right way round, but will need replacing as the rot is in them too. The important thing is the bikes are back in there...

16. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Everything is now back undercover, burnt or bagged up for a tip run. There is electric light and room for more stuff. and further potential for sorting out more stuff to bin. Still a third of the shed hasnt been touched and all the gardening stuff has just been thrown in a heap until spring.

18. The following 3 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

i've worked out what the problem is.Not enough sheds. I worked this out just after spotting a free 13x 8 shed on freecycle.
    Down the rough end of the garden there is a greenhouse, under an apple tree and a holly tree. not a lot of light to be had there then. right, out with it.

A scuff around revealed slabs. Well, bits of sectional garage, anyway. Not level in the slightest, but a good start.

The greenhouse has been reincarnated as a timewaster and stress exaggerator over in the wet mids, with very little chance of ever being a greenhouse again, and some slabs, well bits of sectional garage have been laid level on top of the old ones, and pallets going over the top.

And some very nice sheets of ply screwed and glued over the pallets.

Today the shed was fetched home, and now it stands in its new home. Needs some glass and a roof, but its getting there.

20. The following 4 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,641 in 982 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    When I've done padstones in (usually for steel beams in fairly decent size buildings) its either a cut down concrete lintel or a specially shuttered padstone cast in situ.
    Then the beam drilled and threaded bar going through the beam and epoxied into the padstone/lintel then when its set, nuts tightened up on the threaded bar.

Liked 1,841 in 1,126 posts

Stuck a new roof on the shed. Have done the lintels and frames more securely since this photo. Took a couple of hours to rip old roof off and replace it with new boarded roof. Cats are happy again.

Level complete.

24. The following 2 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission