TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Desmo Due Racing

Liked 7,396 in 4,179 posts

Default Desmo Due Racing

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I can't remember who mentioned they do it currently?

I know a few peeps on here have done it before too.

I've got a mate who's doing the Novice friendly B class, but on my license I'd have to enter the A's (and I don't want to ask him all these questions as I think you lot will be more 'impartial' and him and the others on the DSC forum).

Just how competitive is it?

I've found some lap records, but not typical lap times and I'm about 10 seconds a lap slower (on my 1976 RD250 with 40bhp max), how spread out is the field?

How many meetings will the control tyre typically last?
    There's seem to be very little tuning allowed, how long will an engine last?

Liked 10,418 in 5,960 posts

Default Re: Desmo Due Racing

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    There's seem to be very little tuning allowed,
    Hmmmm.back in the day I had numerous mates who raced in the series. It wasn't allowed then either

But one of the lads bought a bike raced all season with the flywheel in a box lol.

Random dyno tests, max 52bhp iirc.

A lighter fly wheel won't make anymore power, but the motor will spin up faster, however on tracks with elevation changes (like Cadwell) it could be a disadvantage with the lack of inertia.

I loved the initial concept of the series, but it lost the plot a bit down the line.

Pm me and I'll throw you a username on here who's a multi class ex champion who'd be happy to chat.

All in all if its how it was, its a great series with some bitter undertones. If you can stay away from them, its great.

I'm not getting any younger, I'm the wealthiest I've ever been, I fancy having one last stab at racing.

I'm not bothered about winning, but I don't want to be tail end charlie.

I've got two Earlystock race bikes in the garage, but they're old shitters that require more spannering than racing. I'm looking at Demso's and Thundersports 500's.

I'm favouring the Desmo's because like the Earlystocks, I don't need a genny for tyre warmers, but the Thundersport 500's are really really cheap in other areas, they allow no tuning at all and mods are at an absolute minimum.

But I'm scared the TS500's are a bunch of axe murdering wannabes all wanting to be the next Toseland... and I've still got to get to work every Monday.

The desmo class came about as you'll know I'm sure from the perspective of a step up from trackdays in a friendly group. For that its mostly stayed true to itself and hence a lot of different ability riders are usually found in the series.

Last time I saw them at brands the times ranged from 54s to 1.15s

Looking at the Earlystocks site, there wasn't any competitors in the 250 modified class last year, I could be champion if I entered my RacingDeath 250, I came 2nd in the championship once... but there was only 4 entries did more than 4 rounds.

The biggest problem I see is the purchase price of the bike. Because I think of the marque and the finances of the series, the bikes are ridiculous money. A decent ish Class B bike is 2500-3000, which considering what they are is just crazy money !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-600...item4ae40e4940

Compared to this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-cbr-...item19faf89092

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-R6-...item339d1313ab

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Yamah...item27f81458ea

or even a K4 1000
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gsxr-1000-...item1c4d908b21

I really don't want to race a fast bike, I know you can get hurt at any speed, but in my mind I've more chance of getting to work with nothing broken after a weekend on a 60bhp machine than on a 110bhp one.

I really don't want to race a fast bike, I know you can get hurt at any speed, but in my mind I've more chance of getting to work with nothing broken after a weekend on a 60bhp machine than on a 110bhp one.
    Fair call and I'd agree with that. Although the large (assuming they still have them) grids and massive variations in speeds did sometimes mean it was a little chaotic.

Brands practice was mental with people finishing their warm up lap and into first full on Qually lap as they were still letting bikes out of pit lane... the whole track was JAMMED with bikes... it made qually that day most interesting

Good vid. Race start is about 8.30 in.

Last edited by Weeksy; 04-02-15 at 07:57.

Looking at the DSC site, it doesn't seem as popular as it once was, there's 20ish people signed up for this year as far as I can work out.

In the Earlystocks there was half a dozen classes and we all formed up on the same grid, I'd be on my RD 40bhp and the next fella would be on a 140bhp GSX1100, they were mostly old blokes though with a good sense of self preservation.

Looking at the DSC site, it doesn't seem as popular as it once was, there's 20ish people signed up for this year as far as I can work out.

In the Earlystocks there was half a dozen classes and we all formed up on the same grid, I'd be on my RD 40bhp and the next fella would be on a 140bhp GSX1100, they were mostly old blokes though with a good sense of self preservation.
    That's only 20 in combined classes ?

That would be a shame

Just looked back at the thread on DSC, so far there's 16 A's and 10 B's registered.

I guess another problem with the DD's are you can't race in any other classes (well not competitively anyway), as the bikes don't fit in anywhere else, too slow for minitwins, etc..

Just looked back at the thread on DSC, so far there's 16 A's and 10 B's registered.

I guess another problem with the DD's are you can't race in any other classes (well not competitively anyway), as the bikes don't fit in anywhere else, too slow for minitwins, etc..
    Also was a bit of an issue for some on trackdays as the bikes were slow for fast group, but the riders were potentially of fast group sort of speed... so was a bit messy for them.

Liked 2,295 in 1,177 posts

I've done trackdays in the Inters on a 40 year old air-cooled pushrod twin and not been outclassed. Sure the space cadets on their shiny new 600s fuck off down the straights but you're right back up them on the brakes and riding round them, top fun

Desmodue strikes me as a brilliant class for someone who doesn't fancy himself as the next Rossi, doesn't want to spend his way to the front but just wants some good honest dicing where the best rider wins. A bit like minitwits before the big spenders got involved and the boys who mortgage their grannies for a second off lap times insisted on going supertwin.

As for the cost of the bikes, if you can buy a competitive one for 3 grand that surely makes it one of the cheapest classes out there. A decent 600 (not a 1500 nail) will set you back 10K and you'll need a new one every 3 years to stay on the pace. In a control class there's not much you can spend except to keep your bike reliable and on spec.

By an odd chance I was at uni with the guy who started the series and he recently bought the Weslake spares business. Lily used to race desmodue as I recall, not sure if she ever comes on here now but I can pass on a message if you like, as I know her IRL.

My 2p's worth, do it

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission