TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 355 of 361 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 5403

Thread: In today's news...

Liked 6,312 in 3,943 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: In today's news...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    Easily lead though, he just fell in with the wrong people!
    Bollox. He was a wrong 'un, who had no intention of going straight after being given a chance.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,564 in 2,378 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Bollox. He was a wrong 'un, who had no intention of going straight after being given a chance.
    It's rather easy to fabricate a story when you know little of the details.

There was a lad living next door to me when I first moved onto this property back in the early 1990s. He'd been taken in by his grandparents. His father had let his mother when he was a wee lad. She had boyfriends that did unspeakable things to him. Cigarette burns, sexual abuse, fucking horrible fucked up shit. His dad later died in an horrific truck accident. Quite a load of shit for a young fellow. He got along well with me. We'd play cat and mouse on dirt bikes and quads. I ended up being one of few (perhaps the only) adults he trusted. Eventually he proved to much for his aging grandparents and was relocated to an aunt's house miles from here. I lost touch with him when he was 15 or 16. Fast forward 15 years and I ran into his grandparents out Christmas shopping. They informed me he'd got into a fair bit of trouble with the law and eventually was transferred to a prison about an hour away. He was in his early/mid 30s by then. He entered prison at 18 or 19. He and 2 other youths killed another young man. He clammed up and the other two testified for deals. He ended up getting 55 years. His first 3 or 4 years in he was a tough cookie and got into all manner of shit. He had an experience that changed his mindset and he became a model prisoner. That eventually earned him a transfer to a facility that was quite a bit better as prisons go. He'd been in with hardcore criminals. Luckily for him he was fairly big and muscular and learned to fight at an early age so he was able to survive the worst. I started visiting him on a regular basis. It took a while for me to develop trust in him having learned about his crime. He had been taking courses in the joint and excelling at them. He was also mentoring new arrivals, looking out for them and protecting them. America's vet dogs reached out to his prison to include inmates in a program of raising and training dogs for veterans in need of assistance dogs. He signed up for that and excelled in it.

The judge that sentenced him kept a close watch over the years. He would go before her every year for parole hearings. Always met with "you're not ready yet." A bit over 5 years ago he had another parole hearing. I attended along with one of the teachers that had volunteered with the prison and one of the guards who'd been there with him for many years. We all took the stand on his behalf. The parents and sister of the victim were there too. His sister, now a lawyer, took the stand in opposition. Her testimony was quite compelling. Apparently ours was too. The judge spent a great deal of time responding to all of our comments after we'd all gone back to our seats. She ordered his release. I assumed he'd get a ride back to the prison in the van that had brought him there in order to be processed out of the facility he'd been in for the last 9 years or so. Nope. He was sent downstairs to sign off on some papers and released to family on the spot. She suspended the remainder of his sentence, which had already had a few years subtracted for good behavior. He got 5 years of probation - fuck up and go back for the balance of his term.

It's been over five years now and he's finished his probation. There were some violations and issues while he was out. He lived with us or a couple of years and i was constantly dialing him in. He was having trouble acclimating to freedom. 14 years of hard time starting while he was still a teen left some gaps in his development He ended up with a girlfriend that was a poor choice for him. Their arguments and drama had him detained for another 6 months at the facility he was held in while awaiting the trial for the murder. Not as bad as the prison he spent his first few years in, but a walk back in time to the beginning of his incarceration. But he satisfied the court again and got let out.

He's appeared before meetings with other judges to talk about life after prison for inmates. They've liked a lot of his ideas and kept in touch with him. I still have to reign him in from time to time. All things considered he's doing fairly well now.

A few years ago I met a retired judge in a pub out in Northern California. He'd been a police officer before going to law school and had seen a lot in his careers. He'd come to the conclusion that there are three kinds of people. Genuinely good people who occasionally fuck up and know right from wrong. Genuinely bad people who don't give a shit. And followers. Not really bad people to the core, just a bit simple. They're followers. If they get in with the right crowd, they're okay. If they get in with the wrong crowd, they're apt to end up in jail. They are retrievable.

The lad I know falls into the first group. He's really a good person at heart. He's intelligent and knows right from wrong. He just had horrible beginnings. He also had self image problems. Which is a common theme among inmates. Not at all hard to understand given that his father had abandoned him for a new life with a new wife and he was betrayed by his own mother as she exposed him to god knows what horrors as a defenseless little child.

3. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Bwana:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 66 in 51 posts

The Telegraph has turned off it's paywall for one day . Fill yer boots ( if you are so inclined...... )

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,274 in 2,460 posts
    Blog Entries

Liked 10,519 in 5,499 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post

I'd not want to encounter a Wild Boar at the best of times, but imagine encountering a coke'd up one!

Moth will agree with this oen!!

Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' Voted Most Annoying Christmas Song In UK Poll

TOM SANDERS in NEWS
    Last updated 17:45, Wednesday 13 November 2019 GMT

You've probably suspected it for years, but now we have official proof: Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' has been voted the most annoying Xmas song in a UK poll.

A recent survey from Huawei asked Brits to vote on what they considered to be the most annoying Xmas singles, and Carey's ubiquitous seasonal hit unsurprisingly topped the list by a wide margin.

'All I Want For Christmas' turns 25 this year, and to mark the occasion Mariah Carey has been doing her best to get us all into the festive spirit well ahead of the big day.

The singer fired the starting pistol on the first on November - the day after Halloween - tweeting "it's tiiiiiime!" and dropping a new version of her music video for the Christmas track, re-cut with previously unreleased footage.

Thames Valley Police

Please take care if you're driving in the rain today 🌧️🌧️
    Remember, 'if your wipers are going, your lights should be glowing' 🔦

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,916 in 3,080 posts

Water is wet and cars float..

Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 3,168 in 1,921 posts
    Blog Entries

Liked 1,411 in 1,004 posts

Well I hope that Jack is pleased with himself, putting a family out of their home. Narcissistic snow flake to say the least.

Liked 1,356 in 954 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Well I hope that Jack is pleased with himself, putting a family out of their home. Narcissistic snow flake to say the least.
    Jack is probably pleased with herself although she prefers to be referred to as 'they'.

Really Bored
    Liked 834 in 610 posts

Quote Originally Posted by moth View Post

why ever not?

Liked 4,002 in 2,696 posts
    Blog Entries

Warning- bumming content, in big writing.

Spoiler

Liked 7,666 in 4,350 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Warning- bumming content, in big writing.

Spoiler
    Fake news.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tw...lars-predator/

Liked 1,641 in 850 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    It was fake news last time someone posted it as well!!

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pirahna:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission