TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
Results 1,426 to 1,428 of 1428

Thread: Northern Ireland bakery who refused to make gay themed cake ...

Liked 3,874 in 2,617 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Northern Ireland bakery who refused to make gay themed cake ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    ciswoman
    You mean a woman, don’t you?

2. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:

Liked 265 in 180 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Marriage is a single word that people commonly use to refer to the religious ceremony, conducted in a church by a vicar (or whatever they're called). That has for my entire lifetime meant a man and a woman etc. I don't care what people get up to, I am not a religious person but if a group want to change the meaning of something to suit themselves, that does annoy me. Have a civil partnership or even a homosexual marriage but for my money it needs a different name to distinguish it from the accepted norm.

In this case, whether you claim the single word is inherently secular or not, the gay community are demanding that the church conduct a religious ceremony of marriage so they can have a "proper" wedding. In my mind that cheapens the very nature of marriage and I wish they hadn't been so greedy.

It reminds me of a similar situation where a venerable ceremonial event has been hijacked by another group; "The Ashes". The Ashes is of course a reference to the ashes of English cricket when Australia burned the stumps and stuck them in an urn etc. Suddenly the Womens cricket team want to cash in on the meaning of this phrase and adopt "the ashes" to mean something else. So now it has to be called "the Womens Ashes" or somesuch which frankly I think is ridiculous. I think it's great that women have an interest in cricket, I think it's silly they can't just play the game alongside men and have to have a gender specific tournament but since they do, they should come up with their own "tradition".

There is no need for name calling. I assume the "screwball" name is an insult aimed at my alias. This is an adult conversation and if you have to engage in childish name calling, you are effectively saying you don't have a rational argument and are not worthy of attention.
    the rational argument was right there ya great bawbag, the screwball comment was just in case you wanted an easy out (which you took - well done!)

Liked 2,428 in 1,338 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    In this case, whether you claim the single word is inherently secular or not, the gay community are demanding that the church conduct a religious ceremony of marriage so they can have a "proper" wedding. In my mind that cheapens the very nature of marriage and I wish they hadn't been so greedy.
    I haven't claimed it's inherently secular, I am simply stating that there are secular marriages (I am married, it was secular, for example). As for people trying to get any religion to conduct a marriage in a fashion they don't agree with, what's the point? They don't want you in their club, it's make believe, get over it and move on - they'll be virtually gone eventually.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission