TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sorry mate . . . " fact meets fiction!

Liked 3,421 in 2,254 posts

Default "Sorry mate . . . " fact meets fiction!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.

There's a lot to remember when you're a learner driver but a pretty good rule is: don't pull out in front of tanks.

That's what happened to an 18-year-old driving this Toyota Yaris in the Lippe district of Germany on Monday.

According to local police she pulled out in front of a column of British military vehicles travelling on a ring road around the town, often used by British forces stationed nearby to transport tanks and other armoured vehicles.

The driver of the tank, a 24-year-old British serviceman, wasn't able to bring his Challenger 2 tank to a stop in time.

Inevitably, in a battle between 62-tonnes of armour and a one-tonne hatchback, there was only going to be one winner.

Luckily the driver of the car was completely unharmed in the incident, and the tank crew pulled her free. The car, however, suffered 12,000 euros (8,600) worth of damage. The tank, not entirely surprisingly - was unscathed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...car-in-germany

2. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Liked 93 in 66 posts

Default Re: "Sorry mate . . . " fact meets fiction!

I wonder if he has to inform the uk car insurance companies that he's been involved in a vehicular accident. Hold on, if its the bigger stuff has right of way I've got tracked vehicles' on my license!

Liked 1,506 in 875 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post

There's a lot to remember when you're a learner driver but a pretty good rule is: don't pull out in front of tanks.

That's what happened to an 18-year-old driving this Toyota Yaris in the Lippe district of Germany on Monday.

According to local police she pulled out in front of a column of British military vehicles travelling on a ring road around the town, often used by British forces stationed nearby to transport tanks and other armoured vehicles.

The driver of the tank, a 24-year-old British serviceman, wasn't able to bring his Challenger 2 tank to a stop in time.

Inevitably, in a battle between 62-tonnes of armour and a one-tonne hatchback, there was only going to be one winner.

Luckily the driver of the car was completely unharmed in the incident, and the tank crew pulled her free. The car, however, suffered 12,000 euros (8,600) worth of damage. The tank, not entirely surprisingly - was unscathed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...car-in-germany

Saw that yesterday on the Reg.

Reminded me of an incident that happened to the parents of a friend of mine: they got run over by a tank on Salisbury Plain, both hurt quite badly. Apparantly the payout from the MOD was pretty big.... but they had to fight tooth and nail to get it. As I heard it - the driver of the tank lost control as he crossed the road and rolled over the ( stationary - they were waiting for the tank convoy to cross ) car.

Makes me wonder how hard the insurance process gets when the Gubbermint are involved.

Liked 2,816 in 2,015 posts

Start a caption competition

6. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Liked 367 in 227 posts

Surprisingly for the media, it actually is a tank rather than anything green which they will call a tank. However as it is the BBC I think they simply fell in with the eventuality theory. Remember , there's no thicker journalist than a BBC journalist.

Liked 1,945 in 1,008 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Makes me wonder how hard the insurance process gets when the Gubbermint are involved.
    An anecdotal tale, a colleague of mine from many moons ago told me that, some years previous, the wheel came off a police car travelling in the opposite direction and hit his car. It was a fairly new car and the damage was serious.

He told me he was taken to a car showroom and asked to pick a new one of a similar spec to what he had. They paid up there and then.

Since this is one of those "yeah, it happened to me a few years back" stories, I'm afraid I've always been a bit skeptical.

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mad Ax:

Liked 3,937 in 2,652 posts
    Blog Entries

It's kind of poignant, like the Polish cavalry charging at tanks.

Liked 6,066 in 3,806 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Start a caption competition
    What a good idea

http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threa...tion-Competion

Liked 58 in 37 posts

Well duh! The bloody tank wasn't wearing hi-viz, so how would the poor learner be able to see it!!!

13. The following user liked this post made by Lake:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 953 in 558 posts

Good to see the airbag went off - that must have made all the difference.

I got waved to a stop years ago in a forest somewhere not too far from the Nurburgring by US Army personnel with a jeep. A few minutes later, there was the sound of splintering wood to my left and a column of tanks became visible driving through the forest knocking the odd tree down. They crossed the road and vanished into a field of wheat on the other side. The soldier waved me on, jumped back in the jeep and disappeared too. I was told later that the German farmers just loved it when the Americans went on manoeuvres because they could claim vast amounts for the damage.

15. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 172 in 120 posts

On my bike safe course the Traffic plod told us about tanks crossing the road near Bovington Camp, the traffic had been stopped but an impatient lady raced down the outside of the queue in a Sierra (that dates it nicely) and drove straight into the side of a training Challenger (or Chieftain, can't remember) as it crossed and had to be cut free of the wreckage. Allegedly the crew were only made aware by everyone else waving them down. << doubtful about the last bit, I know tanks are loud but you would probably notice 1.5 tonnes of car hitting the tank you were in.

Liked 795 in 397 posts

I think chieftains are over 50 tonnes, so possibly not

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,956 in 2,002 posts

Years ago now I got flagged down on the old A303 not far from Stonehenge. It was pitch black, about 2:00 in the morning, pissing down with rain and this person was waving a torch wildly and indicating for me to stop. Just as well, because with 6v headlights on the Beetle I couldn't see much. I had just about stopped and was thinking "WTF is this all about?" when a collection of tanks trundled across the road about 6 feet in front of my bumper.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 953 in 558 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Years ago now I got flagged down on the old A303 not far from Stonehenge.
    There's a new A303 not far from Stonehenge??

20. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 2,525 in 1,646 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Good to see the airbag went off - that must have made all the difference.

I got waved to a stop years ago in a forest somewhere not too far from the Nurburgring by US Army personnel with a jeep. A few minutes later, there was the sound of splintering wood to my left and a column of tanks became visible driving through the forest knocking the odd tree down. They crossed the road and vanished into a field of wheat on the other side. The soldier waved me on, jumped back in the jeep and disappeared too. I was told later that the German farmers just loved it when the Americans went on manoeuvres because they could claim vast amounts for the damage.
    They call it the Marshall plan

22. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission