TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Suzuki DR400S, values?

  1. #16
    Should Get Out More LondonDRZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    11,615
    Like
    1,732
    Liked 2,166 in 1,462 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by casperboat View Post
    Got to view this bike today in the glorious sunshine. It is rather nice, and has been rebuilt. The work left to do would be to respray the mudguards and the battery cover, the owner didn't want to respray these, he's only rebuilt the main body and mechanics of the bike. They look fine at any distance but close up they have some fading and could do with painting to match the rest of the rebuild.
    We had a right game trying to start it, until he realised he had put the ignition switch into the lights on position, blaming the lights on nicking too much of the power. It started after a while then, though we had probably flooded it by then. It sounds lovely, a big thumper,
    Now got to decide whether to have it, he says he won't take less than 1500 for it, but he will MOT it as it only has 3 months mot left, but it's only done 8 miles since that! I like it, just wish it was older.
    Don't spray the plastics, renovate them. Spread peanut butter on them, leave for a few hours and remove. If that doesn't work use plastic polish.

  2. #17
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,693
    Like
    594
    Liked 5,866 in 2,760 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Can't really see from the small pics but that looks more like a refurb than a restoration. All I see are incorrect fixings everywhere. Has the engine been reconditioned? If I was looking for an investment machine, I'd be wanting to see all original fixtures and fittings.

    I can see that making 1200 on eBay but still wouldn't value it over a grand. Especially from a mate!

    S.

  3. #18
    Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,483
    Like
    2,430
    Liked 2,252 in 1,312 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Tbf the style and colour do have a bit of an 80s gawkish twinge and that limits it's value IMO. It does look pretty tidy so I'd say 12-15 sounds about right. Definitely depends on the desirability of that model / age bracket. Could be worth more than we're guessing.

    i had a pretty tidy XL500R, about 1983 IIRC. I think the carb internals were a bit worn so it was a bit tricky to start and didn't idle perfectly. but the Honda red detracted from the early 80s styling to an extent. I think I sold it for 1250.
    Last edited by MyLittleStudPony; 30-06-15 at 23:03.

  4. #19
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Like
    1
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Can't really see from the small pics but that looks more like a refurb than a restoration. All I see are incorrect fixings everywhere. Has the engine been reconditioned? If I was looking for an investment machine, I'd be wanting to see all original fixtures and fittings.

    I can see that making 1200 on eBay but still wouldn't value it over a grand. Especially from a mate!

    S.
    Hi. Yes he's done the engine, the whole bike has been stripped and rebuilt, parts shot blasted and powder coated. The bit I don't like is that, as you say, he has changed every single bolt, screw, nut etc and replaced with stainless steel socket heads... He's even drilled and tapped all the holes so he can fit larger threads in to accommodate the stainless bolts!! As I like classic bikes, this puts me off, I'd rather original hex bolts, if that's what it had, must have taken him a huge amount of work to do it, and now it can't be undone. Shame as it's a nice bike, I quite like the 80's look of it..
    I saw one recently sell on ebay for 800, which had just been imported from the USA. It was not running and needed a lot of work and it was not UK registered, so guess his must be worth more than that.
    Last edited by casperboat; 01-07-15 at 22:40.

  5. #20
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    22,073
    Like
    1
    Liked 4,119 in 2,357 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by casperboat View Post
    Hi. Yes he's done the engine, the whole bike has been stripped and rebuilt, parts shot blasted and powder coated. The bit I don't like is that, as you say, he has changed every single bolt, screw, nut etc and replaced with stainless steel socket heads... He's even drilled and tapped all the holes so he can fit larger threads in to accommodate the stainless bolts!! As I like classic bikes, this puts me off, I'd rather original hex bolts, if that's what it had, must have taken him a huge amount of work to do it, and now it can't be undone. Shame as it's a nice bike, I quite like the 80's look of it..
    I saw one recently sell on ebay for 800, which had just been imported from the USA. It was not running and needed a lot of work and it was not UK registered, so guess his must be worth more than that.

    Err, what? Stainless bolts are made to the same size standards as steel bolts. There's the occasional fine thread that might be difficult to source but there shouldn't be any reason to drill and tap an undamaged thread for a larger size.

  6. #21
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Like
    1
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Err, what? Stainless bolts are made to the same size standards as steel bolts. There's the occasional fine thread that might be difficult to source but there shouldn't be any reason to drill and tap an undamaged thread for a larger size.
    You're right, of course.. His overly fussy-ness (it is a propa word ) meant that he decided it would be nicer/stronger with bigger sized bolts, and he especially likes using these allen socket heads... They don't look out of place, unless you know they are meant to be hex bolts.

  7. #22
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,693
    Like
    594
    Liked 5,866 in 2,760 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by casperboat View Post
    You're right, of course.. His overly fussy-ness (it is a propa word ) meant that he decided it would be nicer/stronger with bigger sized bolts, and he especially likes using these allen socket heads... They don't look out of place, unless you know they are meant to be hex bolts.
    Well it's the first thing I noticed and I think they look hideous. Kiss goodbye to any collectors who might have been looking for a nice original machine. And they should be hex headed flange bolts. Dunno how you're supposed to torque down those allen sockets, the values will be very different.

    When you say he's "done the engine" what exactly does that mean?

  8. #23
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    22,073
    Like
    1
    Liked 4,119 in 2,357 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    So he knows that there's enough strength left in the metal after he's made the hole bigger and hand tapped a loose thread into it?

  9. #24
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    15,789
    Like
    1,181
    Liked 3,399 in 2,055 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    IME Suzukis of that age have Posi-Drive bolts holding the engine casings on
    Had a look at the pictures, and the Allen bolts on the frame don't look right

  10. #25
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    22,073
    Like
    1
    Liked 4,119 in 2,357 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    IME Suzukis of that age have Posi-Drive bolts holding the engine casings on

    More likely to be JIS I'd have thought. They look similar but aren't.

  11. #26
    Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,483
    Like
    2,430
    Liked 2,252 in 1,312 posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    I would revisit my valuation in the light of the numerous non standard fasteners.

    Still worth a grand on eBay though I suspect. Any tidy mid capacity road legal useable dirt bike has some value and despite the bolts this one has a lot of positives.

  12. #27
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Like
    1
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    When you say he's "done the engine" what exactly does that mean?
    Not sure. He's stripped it.. I didn't ask what else as I was put off by the bolts. I liked the bike, rides nice and it's big so is comfortable for me, but i'd like it original. He has a Harley too, which he comes to work on and that is covered in bling, stainless everything, I don't like it at all...
    Think i'll offer him some for it, just as a rider, but not as a classic.. I will check he's definitely drilled out the holes, sure he said he had, otherwise i'd just swap them all back. What isn't obvious in the pictures is that he has removed some original steel brackets and fabricated stainless steel ones to replace them, exactly the same shape, but he didn't like them being steel..
    Maybe I need to look for another bike...
    Last edited by casperboat; 02-07-15 at 16:14.

  13. #28
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,693
    Like
    594
    Liked 5,866 in 2,760 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    Older bikes are great if they can be had for a bargain price.

    Older bikes that you might want to keep for them to appreciate in value need to be in original condition with all original parts. I've had a bike recently that was in this middle ground where an all original would have been worth thousands and a crappy one about a thousand. Being in the middle meant I couldn't justify the odd ten or twenty quid here and there for odd brackets or the fifty odd quid for oem fasteners. So I made up some brackets and swapped out some bolts, just like your mate has. If the work done can be easily undone, then you might run around on a decent bike and gradually replace all the little bits and bobs over time. But it still needs to be cheap to start off with or you're just putting in a slight delay before paying way too much for a machine that will never pay you back.


    Might just as well find a decent one in the first place. That particular version was never really popular, even in its day. It developed into the DRZ which is a great bike but "too new" for someone looking for a classic. If I was making a list of potential future classics, a nice tidy (original!) DRZ would be on it somewhere. They really are excellent little machines and while there are so many out there, that supply will one day dry up.

    S.

  14. #29
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    15,789
    Like
    1,181
    Liked 3,399 in 2,055 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    There's a reason the DR400 wasn't popular, it wasn't a good bike, the XT500 was better if you wanted a 4 stroke, but at the time 2 strokes were more popular for trail bikes and the TS250 made the same power, handled better, was lighter and learner legal.

  15. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:


  16. #30
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    14
    Like
    1
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

    Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

    I spoke with the seller today, but only in passing, I pointed out the problems, which he agreed with, but said he never intended to ever sell it, but now needs to to fund and make space for a 1960's BSA he's buying to restore, his wife has decided this.. He did offer to lower the price to 1400, I haven't given my answer, but i'll hope to get it lower than that. Most of the fixings can just be swapped back when I can be bothered. This is turning into a saga, as he's not in a hurry to sell and i'm not in any rush either..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission