TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki DR400S, values?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Suzuki DR400S, values?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi. My mate has recently restored a DR400S, he has rebuilt everything and it is pretty much n mint condition. He's offering to sell it to me. I've been trying to judge value, but there don't seem to be any restored ones for sale for me to guide a price. He's not going to make any money for the 300 hours he has worked on it, just wants his costs back so he can buy something else to restore...
    Any one got some idea of a price guide, I've searched the internet but i've been unable to find anything.
    Thanks..
    Gary

Liked 2,176 in 1,470 posts

Default Re: Suzuki DR400S, values?

Quote Originally Posted by casperboat View Post
    Hi. My mate has recently restored a DR400S, he has rebuilt everything and it is pretty much n mint condition. He's offering to sell it to me. I've been trying to judge value, but there don't seem to be any restored ones for sale for me to guide a price. He's not going to make any money for the 300 hours he has worked on it, just wants his costs back so he can buy something else to restore...
    Any one got some idea of a price guide, I've searched the internet but i've been unable to find anything.
    Thanks..
    Gary
    Year?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Liked 7,569 in 4,287 posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DR4...item28004c1162

Dunno how much a mint one is worth over a 'well used' example.

300 hours seems a bit extreme, even for a concours job!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post

300 hours seems a bit extreme, even for a concours job!
    He's very fussy, but I expect he was guessing, unless he was sad enough to keep a tally.. If I included tea drinking time I might get close to that...

Liked 2,176 in 1,470 posts

1981 can go for silly money, look at twin shock for dealer prices.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,691 in 2,253 posts

If you've any thoughts of using it for trail riding get something else, they're horrible off-road, under powered, over weight and a pig to start when hot, if you want an old bike to trail ride on then get a two-stroke.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Doubt I will use it for much trailing, at least not anything too taxing for either me or bike... I can't seem to find a comparable bike to compare prices, i'm just hoping the bike is worth more than what he has spent on bits to restore it. I expect i'll be able to purchase it for somewhere around 1500, though he's spent more than that on it and he has some parts with it. The bikes only done 6000 miles, not that I expect that matters too much..
    Gary

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

8-900 quid tops.

500 quid gets you a shonker but an old DR is cheap to fix, 1200+ is DRZ territory and thats a MUCH better machine.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    8-900 quid tops.

500 quid gets you a shonker but an old DR is cheap to fix, 1200+ is DRZ territory and thats a MUCH better machine.
    Oh, i'm sure he'd keep it, rather than sell it for that little. It's an old bike i'm after, DRZ would be too modern for me.
    Gary

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Haven't had too much luck finding examples either for sale or that have sold to gain an idea of prices being achieved for DR400's.

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,255 in 1,315 posts
    Blog Entries

It's slightly too new to and four stroke rather than two so not super valuable. It is still quite a desirable bike and if it's really clean will be worth over 1.5k. The only way to know exactly how much for sure is put in on ebay.

13. The following user liked this post made by MyLittleStudPony:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Now he's dithering, not keen to sell it.. But he'll probably have to as his wife says he's got too many bikes and he's picking up 2 more next week, which he's going to restore too.. His brother may buy it, use it for a year and then let him buy it back when he has more space.. We'll see, I'll post pictures if I get the chance to properly view it..

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Got to view this bike today in the glorious sunshine. It is rather nice, and has been rebuilt. The work left to do would be to respray the mudguards and the battery cover, the owner didn't want to respray these, he's only rebuilt the main body and mechanics of the bike. They look fine at any distance but close up they have some fading and could do with painting to match the rest of the rebuild.
    We had a right game trying to start it, until he realised he had put the ignition switch into the lights on position, blaming the lights on nicking too much of the power. It started after a while then, though we had probably flooded it by then. It sounds lovely, a big thumper,
    Now got to decide whether to have it, he says he won't take less than 1500 for it, but he will MOT it as it only has 3 months mot left, but it's only done 8 miles since that! I like it, just wish it was older.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 7,569 in 4,287 posts

I reckon with a ticket on it, that's worth 1500 all day long. You could get a well used DRZ for that money, but as usable classic I reckon that'll take some beating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission